Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What kinda chain lube do you use..?
Quote | Reply
I currently use White lightning, and I find that it leaves this dark gray colored stuff between the links. I know that that crap is just old wax mixed with dirt. Because of this crap, I wanna get away from using White Lightning. Is there some other chain lube out there that does not leave this crap on the chain..?

thanks..

Paul..
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [Paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Tri-Flow (sp?). It seems to work well, but it get's dirty very quickly. I used to have a tough time keeping the chain clean, but I've now figured out the trick. Those chain cleaner contraptions don't work. Get a chain with a removable link, like a Sachs, SRAM, or Connex. Take the chain off, and put it in an old gallon milk jug with some degreaser. Let it soak (ideally over night). Shake the jug around a little, rinse with hot water several times, then re-install the chain and re-lube. The chain comes out squeaky clean. This was the only way I could get the chain clean with Tri-Flow.
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 32oz Gatorade jug works well for the lactose intolerant. Degreaser works well as does charcoal lighter fluid. Lighter fluid is not biodegradeable like a lot of the citrus type degreasers though.

I am currently using Pro-link, but Tri-flow is also very good. I try to stay away from the paraffin based lubes like white lightening.

And, if you don't want to buy a new chain, just by a SRAM powerlink for about $4. Then you can remove whatever type of chain you have for cleaning.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used White Lightning, and liked it well enough. I had the same complaint when it came to cleaning the chain, however. I've used several other lubes, but have found that the two I like best are Pro Link (which I use pretty much exclusively now), and Boeshield T-9, which I still use to lube everything but the chain. The Boeshield is a great chain lube, and I didn't find it held on to the gunk as much as the White Lightning, but I'm just really impressed with the Pro Link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chains should be oiled, not waxed. If you want to wax something...try your legs :) Wax will do just as you stated...attract all sorts of stuff on the outside of the chain.

I agree that you should remove the chain to clean it, and stay away from those "strap-on" contraptions.

After every ride or so I re-oil the chain...link-by-link...one drop per link. Cycle the chain through the grears, and then wipe the chain down throughly. The oil only needs to be on the bushings, which you can't see anyway. Everything else will attracted dirt and grim. Frequently I remove the cogs, rings and chain and soak them in degreaser to give them a good cleaning.

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube. Seems to stay cleaner, longer for me. I do one drop per link about every third ride and wipe excess thoroughly. Degrease with one of those chain cleaning contraptions (I use Park Tool) about every 5th ride.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in a dry climate and have had great success with Rock 'n' Roll Gold.

http://www.rocklube.com/...cts_detail_gold.html

My chain is cleaner and lube in one, doesn't gunk up like white lightning and the cogs stay minty fresh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now there is a pick-up line!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist....

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pro link - tried them all and I've used this for 3 yrs, by far the best for dry conditions
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now there is a pick-up line!!!!!
...only to be outdone by Tricam's advice to stay away from those "strap-on" contraptions! I'll assume this refers to the chain cleaners :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After posting the thread, then it clicked. It would sound even better if the subject line read

"What kinda LUBE do you use..?"

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Pedros Ice Wax. If you don't like wax, Pedros makes a lot of other fine products, but I prefer wax over oil for cleanliness (strange how some people prefer oil for the same reason!).

In a pinch, you can always use transmission fluid like my old bike shop did.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't riding in the nastiest possible conditions, use real wax. It doesn't attract anything to your chain, it is in fact the lightest lube you can use. It may last 500-600 miles, depending on the weather. You totally strip your chain of any other lube by dipping it in degreaser and bruching it for a while, while you are melting the wax. Then put the chain in the melted wax for a couple of minutes. Don't let the was get too thin or the lube will be thin also. Hang to dry, then put it on and enjoy...nothing is better.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A link to Sheldon Brown's stuff:

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Everything that you ever wanted to know about bikes and chains.

eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro Gold and PG2000 or T-9 Boeshield. I think they are the cleanest and the best.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Where do I get it...I'm in NC. Also, would you entertain a private or public question on Zipp wheel hub maintenence (I posted this last week w/ no response and now have more Qs).

Thanks,

david
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most good bike shops sell both T-9 and Pro Gold and PG2000. I answer any question I know the answer to, and tell you I don't know when I don't....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, i see that you guys seem to rave about the ProGold. Thanks for the recommendation. I've also heard about the Dumonde. Anybody have any experience with this stuff..?

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumond Tech was the brand that I could not remember. Very good. I used the Dumond Tech that was yellow in color, or at least in a yellow bottle.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use White Lightning or Race Day. You'll find that the oil based lubricants attract far more crap to your chain. I was a Tri-Flow user for years, but spent countless hours cleaning that stuff. I do cleaning a lot less often now.
Quote Reply
Re: What kinda chain lube do you use..? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the weather is nice - Boeshield

When its crap - Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. It lasts longer in the wet than anything else, but it is a bit on the messy side.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumonde and prolink are my favs, but Dumonde is the absolute winner for best smelling.
Quote Reply