Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year?
Quote | Reply
of course i've been bugging you about stepping out and doing this for years now. but i feel that i finally have you where i want you, because you and i have no reliable chance to race this year.

here was don bowie's badwater to mt whitney (the TOP of mt whitney).
here is jeremiah bishop / VeganCyclist Impossible Route.
here is ryan heisler just last week.

it can be single sport or multisport. single day or multi day. solo, partners, very small group. it's got to be your version of epic, which is, just long and hard enough that you can look back on it 30 years from now and feel pride when you tell the story.

be an architect. plan this out. figure out the equipment you'll need. tell me what you have in mind.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently neck deep (literally) in a home addition, in between concrete and retaining walls I find myself day dreaming about Mona Kea.

If things manage to improve, then likely in February or next October. Likely spread over two days with van support each day and an overnight in Hilo. With van support and myself doing it one day and me the other we could have spare wheels or maybe even a bike change for the gravel section.

Nothing earth shattering but it’s one climb I’ve always wanted to do.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Currently neck deep (literally) in a home addition, in between concrete and retaining walls I find myself day dreaming about Mona Kea.

If things manage to improve, then likely in February or next October. Likely spread over two days with van support each day and an overnight in Hilo. With van support and myself doing it one day and me the other we could have spare wheels or maybe even a bike change for the gravel section.

Nothing earth shattering but it’s one climb I’ve always wanted to do. Maurice

you don't have to split the atom. that sounds fine to me. i assume you watched the impossible route? that's one way of tackling mauna kea, and there are probably 3 or 4. i believe lars finanger did it from waikoloa, as a multisport thing, and i think dev has played around on that mountain. also, the enve guys did it from waikoloa.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I watched that. Looks like an awesome route...last time I was there I got tired walking up that road from the beach!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly "epic" by most definitions, but I have my eyes on the Great Allegheny Passage + C&O Towpath from Pittsburgh to DC. Did it last year solo. Thinking about doing it again with fewer stops and less support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did mine Father’s Day weekend. Four State Appalachian Trail Challenge in sub 10 hrs. Had a blast and bonded with my Dad as support!!

https://dailytriathlondiscipline.blogspot.com/...ge-my-covid.html?m=1
Last edited by: Jayjuno: Jul 6, 20 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayjuno wrote:
I did mine Father’s Day weekend. Four State Appalachian Trail Challenge in sub 10 hrs. Had a blast and bonded with my Dad as support!!

https://dailytriathlondiscipline.blogspot.com/...ge-my-covid.html?m=1

bully!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pinched neck nerve not withstanding planning on doing a double marathon: swim 10K then 26.2 run in October. Maybe with 10-20 others. Goal is sub 6 hours though first goal is to swim pain free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure my wife will approve,or my fitness will allow but I want to try a High Rouleur Society attempt that is probably 60-70% gravel.
I have a course that follows the Fraser River Canyon in central BC, north of Lillooet and maybe a bit over to Pemberton.
I'm trying to get the 10,000m in under 450km.
I may have to do it self-supported with just a bivy to get me through a night on crown land somewhere.
Plenty of small towns for refuel and fast food.

Barring that I have a 275km one day 95% gravel route. No sleep gear needed, but an August start means some of it will probably be in the dark.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
pinched neck nerve not withstanding planning on doing a double marathon: swim 10K then 26.2 run in October. Maybe with 10-20 others. Goal is sub 6 hours though first goal is to swim pain free.

please keep me up to date on this. not over 2 days? start-to-finish?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not epic by some measures, but I’m attempting a virtual Everesting on the Alpe du Zwift in a few weeks. Made virtual Basecamp last weekend and am getting nervously excited for the full attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 200 mile ride:

100 on the road
100 on dirt (50 on the gravel bike towing my daughter in her chariot and 50 on the MTB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to hold 700w for a minute.

Already been a battle all year, a bunch of almosts. (currently 666 :D)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running trails at a university bioreserve nearly every Saturday and Sunday since the pandemic began because it's not heavily used and I can easily stay 6 feet from other users. My hope, when I no longer worry about getting too close to others on the singletrack trails, is to do a 3-hour plus run traveling all the trails. A modest journey, but feeling that freedom again will be epic!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 6, 20 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

be an architect. plan this out. figure out the equipment you'll need. tell me what you have in mind.

Challenge accepted. I was going to do the HooDoo 500 solo. But now I'm leery about doing an organized event (even in an ultra where you might not see another person for hours), so will pencil out a completely solo deal as an option if I choose not to do HooDoo.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Challenge accepted. I was going to do the HooDoo 500 solo. But now I'm leery about doing an organized event (even in an ultra where you might not see another person for hours), so will pencil out a completely solo deal as an option if I choose not to do HooDoo.

i'm noodling a trans-sierra thing. being a californian. west to east. or the other way. or a loop. requiring equipment i may not have, for overnighting.

i have a suite of apidura stuff showing up for a gravel bike i'm building specifically for bikepacking. what i don't know is whether i want to bikepack it, fastpack it for running, or a combo. it pretty much has to include running if i'm going across the high sierras. no other way. but i kind of want cycling to be a part of it. where i bike from X to Y, leave the bike, run across, or around, for 2 or 3 days, end up back and the bike, bike back down. something like that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
I just want to hold 700w for a minute.

Already been a battle all year, a bunch of almosts. (currently 666 :D)

Do you want to hold a steady 700, or just average 700 for the minute?
Not sure i could hold 700 for a full 60 seconds, but best 1min power average was 786w (500-600 in the last bit of a leadout, then 15-20sec sprint)

Maybe find a short hill, and drill it to the base then stand and sprint with whatever you have left on the hill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great topic. with races pretty much off the table for the fall, was looking at a full day bike ride, 250-300 miles or so, 20ish hours. either down the CA coast from around Paso Robles to LA or east to west from somewhere in AZ/NV. have not worked out logistics yet. just starting to think of routes. don't want to do the bike pack thing just yet, so would just be my road bike with my handlebar bag for extra supplies and such. may be able to find someone to ride SAG, which would help a ton.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heh, 700 steady would be much more impressive!
that was a monster 15-20 sec. My 1' looks much more like \

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not epic for a lot of people but for someone who has always hated running it is for me. I have been reading David Goggins' book and think that I am going to try the 4x4x48. Basically run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours. This could suck for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Home > Up Big Thompson Canyon > Estes Park > Rocky Mountain National Park > Up Old Fall River Road > Down Trail Ridge Road > Catch a trout in Moraine Park > Down Big Thompson Canyon > Home

The hardest part may be tricking a fish with a brain the size of a pea to eat a fake fly. ~145 miles and 15k elevation gain
Last edited by: BKyle: Jul 6, 20 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
official event was cancelled, but we went and rode it anyway, an ultra fondo 120 miles / 12k ft climbing,

supposed to hike the Haute Route in Switzerland in Sept then watch stage 16&17 of TdF, but not looking good for US entry into EU right now. backup plan is 2 week cycling tour thru Colorado
Last edited by: DV8R: Jul 6, 20 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently contemplating a 39 mile run on my 39th birthday. Route TBD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son (AMC on this forum) and I did the 12 hour solitary confinement challenge earlier this year...essentially ride a minimum of 40 minutes every hour in Zwift (essentially 8 hours) He got 200 miles and I did 164. Not epic I know but was in a nearby zip code...

He’s thinking about doing the Goggins 4/4/48 challenge or through-hiking/running the backbone trail up in the Santa Monica mountains (63 miles and about 30k vertical in one shot).

I’m giving serious consideration to doing a double through hike of the AT in Shenandoah down in VA. About 214 miles and 80k of vertical over 12 days or so....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [dave_o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_o wrote:
Probably not epic for a lot of people but for someone who has always hated running it is for me. I have been reading David Goggins' book and think that I am going to try the 4x4x48. Basically run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours. This could suck for me.

I've been contemplating that as well. Sounds like we need an ST challenge thread and we can goad each other to the finish.
Quote Reply

Prev Next