Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6min/mi 10K run?
Quote | Reply
I realize these are silly benchmarks and they in no way represent top elite or age group level.

But just like some runner may target sub- 6min/mi 10K or sub 3h marathon, or cyclists would want to break 1h in 40K TT, what are the paces/times at given distances that some competitive amateur swimmers would like to achieve?

Edit: fixed title to match the intended 10k pace in the body of the post.
Last edited by: dbg0: Nov 18, 19 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [dbg0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbg0 wrote:
I realize these are silly benchmarks and they in no way represent top elite or age group level.

But just like some runner may target sub- 6min/mi 10K or sub 3h marathon, or cyclists would want to break 1h in 40K TT, what are the paces/times at given distances that some competitive amateur swimmers would like to achieve?

I compare sub-3 hour 10 k swim to sub-3 hour marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [dbg0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16’ in the 1500?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
16’ in the 1500?

It would be more like 22.30 1500m.

400m swimming ~ 1600m running ~ 4000m biking

It's roughly a 1:4:10 ratio of time to distance between these sports.

Look a the elite people in the world....they seem to take 4 minutes for 400m swim (OK, maybe IM, free is mid to low 3:30;s) , 1 mile run (OK they are way sub 4....El Gherrouj was 3:43) and 4000m on the track (they are just above 4 minutes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
< 1:00 for 100scy
< 6:00 for 500scy

Those both, to me, seem indicative of well-rounded, fast amateur splits. Like you said, it’s arbitrary.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d ballpark 1:20/100m for distance aka 20 minutes for 1500m or 22 minutes for a mile seems about as common as a 40k bike in under an hour, and a 36-38 min 10k. The swim really doesn’t correlate well except elite levels imo as bike and run are reasonably predictable based on the other but the swim is a shot in the dark.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1h for 40k is a way faster than 6.30m/m for a 10k run...I would say 1h10m, and then an equivalent of 1.35m/100m pace for a 1.5km swim in a pool...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to be on the same level in each sport to make this work. I'm sure theres a formula for it but unless your jan frodeno or someone similar its very hard to do. Lionel sanders could break the hour in zone 2 and run 37min 10k reading the newpaper but 1.20 per 100m is close to his thershold in the water. I can just about break the hour on the bike max hour effort at that. I have ran low 34 for 10k at the start of duathlon but can't do 1 100m at 1.20 pace so I'm outta the formula
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the question is simply about comparing benchmarks for amateur endurance athletes, something that might be a kind of sound-barrier for certain distances I would go for:
20 min. for 1.500m swim
1h for 40k bike
35 min. for 10k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF is a sub 6:30min/mi 10K run?

Is it anything like running a mile at 2:29/km pace?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really, running a mile at sub 2.30 pace is quick. More like D1 quick rather than 'average amateur' quick
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:

It's the consolation prize when you fail to go sub 40min for 10k (but fail by no more than 23 sec)...

satanellus wrote:
Is it anything like running a mile at 2:29/km pace?

So no, it's more akin to running a mile at sub 3:30 min/km pace (i.e. failing a sub 5:30min mile by no more than 8 seconds)
;-)
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
1h for 40k is a way faster than 6.30m/m for a 10k run...I would say 1h10m, and then an equivalent of 1.35m/100m pace for a 1.5km swim in a pool...

1:10 in an Olympic tri is MOP/BOP.

Where is 6:30/mile for 10k in am olympic tri?

What about 1.35/100m?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
Not really, running a mile at sub 2.30 pace is quick. More like D1 quick rather than 'average amateur' quick

I think you miss the point. But that's OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How so? As myself and others have pointed out, 2.29/km is just a fast number you've picked out rather than something related to the other targets mentioned...
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [heartpatient] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heartpatient wrote:
satanellus wrote:

It's the consolation prize when you fail to go sub 40min for 10k (but fail by no more than 23 sec)...

Thanks for saving me from having to do the maths.

So a largely irrelevant measure, even by US standards. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you’ve completely missed the point. Read it again without regard for the actual numbers involved and you might see....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
juanillo wrote:

What about 1.35/100m?

The guy who opened this thread is an amateur and I am giving times for his standard

this is 23.45m for the 1.5k swim, 1.10h for the 40k and 40m for the 10k given the time that he quotes for his run capability. I am talking about this level of amateurity... In terms of elite, 18:00-55:00- 32:00.....I am just applying an extra 25% for each leg approx. to covert elite to this amateur.

In my case, right now, I would be in the extra 50%...much worse: 27.30m/ 1.25h / 45m....given that I dont train specifically.
We have to take into account that some of us have a better background in some sports...I have swum since I am 17, but my kicking technique sucks...and it is much easier to improve the other two legs wich dont need so much technique skills, but miles.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
How so? As myself and others have pointed out, 2.29/km is just a fast number you've picked out rather than something related to the other targets mentioned...

No, it's definitely not "just a fast number I've picked out". It's a very specific and meaningful number.

Just that it's obscured by the arse-end way it's expressed.......much like the 10 km "time" in the thread title.
Last edited by: satanellus: Nov 18, 19 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
juanillo wrote:

What about 1.35/100m?

The guy who opened this thread is an amateur and I am giving times for his standard

this is 23.45m for the 1.5k swim, 1.10h for the 40k and 40m for the 10k given the time that he quotes for his run capability. I am talking about this level of amateurity... In terms of elite, 18:00-55:00- 32:00.....I am just applying an extra 25% for each leg approx. to covert elite to this amateur.

In my case, right now, I would be in the extra 50%...much worse: 27.30m/ 1.25h / 45m....given that I dont train specifically.
We have to take into account that some of us have a better background in some sports...I have swum since I am 17, but my kicking technique sucks...and it is much easier to improve the other two legs wich dont need so much technique skills, but miles.

Wow I am worse than I thought 😭

Can do 1:10 bike in my sleep. All the EPO In the world could never get me within even sniffing distance of the swim and run times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admit I messed up the time a bit, I wanted to post 6min/mi and had it fixed in the post body but forgot the title :)

What I was trying to convey with those times basically is to ask what are the times that the general population of competitive amateur swimmers aspire to? What is the 1h bike TT for them, or a 3h marathon, but in swimming.

In that regard I m not even interested in what 6min/mi run or 40kph bike translates to in swimming. Rather if 1h TT or 6min/mi run is a measure of a “good” biker/runner, what is the “good” measure that swimmers want to tick off the box in their amateur age group careers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbg0 wrote:
I admit I messed up the time a bit, I wanted to post 6min/mi and had it fixed in the post body but forgot the title :)

What I was trying to convey with those times basically is to ask what are the times that the general population of competitive amateur swimmers aspire to? What is the 1h bike TT for them, or a 3h marathon, but in swimming.

In that regard I m not even interested in what 6min/mi run or 40kph bike translates to in swimming. Rather if 1h TT or 6min/mi run is a measure of a “good” biker/runner, what is the “good” measure that swimmers want to tick off the box in their amateur age group careers?

I aspire to go faster than I'm going right now.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
heartpatient wrote:
satanellus wrote:

Thanks for saving me from having to do the maths.

So a largely irrelevant measure, even by US standards. :-)

(I got your point, and enjoyed the responses. Although my favorite rate is furlongs/fortnight...)

I've done 18:54/1500m (wetsuit swim), 59:36 40km, and 37:37 for 10km (6:03/mile), although in different
years and phases of my adult athletic life. The swim took the most training to get there; the bike was the most painful to execute (largely because it is a solid hour of suffering); the run was more like "go hard and hang on."

I will say that hitting the "1km to go" sign and realizing I would break an hour was a really good feeling!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: What is the swim equivalent to sub 1h 40k bike TT or sub 6:30min/mi 10K run? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming from a swimming background so this may be slightly biased in that direction but I would say swimming 4k in an hour (1:30 per 100m) is probably fairly equivalent to a 40min 10k. While it probably would take longer to get the skill level together for swimming, once you have a decent stroke hitting 1.30s was always a good benchmark.

Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbg0 wrote:

I think you're still missing my point, but as I said before, that's ok.

Now wtf is a 6 min/mile 10km? ;-)
Last edited by: satanellus: Nov 18, 19 6:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next