Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is the most accurate HRM/GPS watch?
Quote | Reply
Dear All,

I am currently in the market for a new HRM/GPS watch/wrist computer, mostly to use for ultras. I was initially very intrigued by the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro and have been looking into numerous reviews. Unfortunately, many of the reviews point out the unreliable HRM and GPS capabilities of the Fenix 6. On the HRM side, there are a lot of observed ghost-peaks and sometimes the HRM will track for longer periods of time 30-50 BPM too low. The GPS is described as inaccurate as well, and will have diversions up to 100 metres.

Looking at the 2020 top-of-the-line products across Suunto, Garmin and Polar, it looks like most of the HRMs/GPS functionalities are not very reliable. While I do find this a bit frustrating being in the market for a new product, I wonder what is currently the most accurate HRM/GPS in the market which is usable for multi-sport/ultra-running?

While I do appreciate all the new functionalities which can be found in modern wrist computers, I sometimes feel that the actual quality of HRM readings have not improved much since I was running around with a Polar Accruex Plus in the 80s (which can seem a bit weird).

Any thoughts, recommendations or ideas for a reliable modern HRM/GPS watch/wrist computer would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: What is the most accurate HRM/GPS watch? [seismic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found the HR on the 945 to be very accurate. DC Rainmaker noted the same, but he rates the Apple Watch as slightly better. In either case, a chest strap will be more accurate than the optical, but the reality is any device will have issues being completely accurate for anyone running, and particularly Ultras.
In regard to GPS, ALL GPS devices will have trouble with trees and terrain typical of a Ultra.
Get a Stryd footpod, it is far more accurate than a GPS in any/all conditions, but particularly trail.
Here is a great “study” on GPS and footpod accuracies

https://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy
Quote Reply
Re: What is the most accurate HRM/GPS watch? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
I have found the HR on the 945 to be very accurate. DC Rainmaker noted the same, but he rates the Apple Watch as slightly better. In either case, a chest strap will be more accurate than the optical, but the reality is any device will have issues being completely accurate for anyone running, and particularly Ultras.
In regard to GPS, ALL GPS devices will have trouble with trees and terrain typical of a Ultra.
Get a Stryd footpod, it is far more accurate than a GPS in any/all conditions, but particularly trail.
Here is a great “study” on GPS and footpod accuracies

https://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

Thank you very much for your input !

So a Garmin 945 with a Stryd Footpod and a HRM chest sensor would initially give the better result?

Do you feel that the 945 is lacking behind the competition on Software or capabilities? I guess what I am trying to speculate is if we will see a new version of the 945 in the near future or whether it is still worth the investment...?
Quote Reply