Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is the hot pain cave fan these days?
Quote | Reply
I saw a few fans referenced in the pain cave threads, albeit some of them are a bit dated.

Some are $12 and some are $1200.

Should have jumped on this last week or even yesterday, but as always I'm late to the party.

Probably should use a word other than hot - but what is the popular/recommended/best fan these days?

I do have a window about 12 feet from my trainer that I typically open during the winter months to help cool the room.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lasko Performance Blower

The best fan imaginable. Trust me on this one.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Nov 28, 18 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My world changed when I found this fan at home depot.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seconded
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That's not a fan......"

That's a FAN!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Wahoo Kickr Headwind https://www.wahoofitness.com/...ind-bluetooth-fan-us

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the medium size Vornado DC fan and love it! Believe it was $90 from Amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
Lasko Performance Blower

I have a similarly designed one and I’d agree this is a very good product.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
Lasko Performance Blower

best $75 I ever spent.

Not only for indoor riding but I dry things with it too. I can dry a pair of soaked running shoes in 10 minutes.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
Lasko Performance Blower

+4 (or whatever it is)

I get insanely hot and this thing was a life saver. It blows massive amounts of air, I only use lowest setting and never get more than “warm.” It’s hooked up to a smart outlet so I can easily have Amazon Echo turn it on and off which is convenient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally found this at Walmart for $29 a Lasko 20" 3-Speed Wind Machine, Model #3300

Quote | Reply
As others have written, what you want is a blower, not a fan. Much better for directed cooling. The Lasko one referenced is good. There are others - Amazon is your friend. Also mentioned by someone here, you absolutely want a remote. If the blower doesn't come with one, get a cheap (maybe $10) remote outlet on Amazon. In the winter, the cave is often too cold for a fan during warmup, but you want to be able to crank on the fan eventually without dismounting the bike. Money well spent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.homedepot.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I really like the lasko as it is an air circulator that mounts on the wall in from of me and then it has a remote. I can keep the room cold enough that I cant start with a fan and the remote has been great. Also like others said it moves air in a directed pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.target.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Same idea, more air? I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. Only thing I can't tell is if it can mount on a wall. I have mine above my TV and it's perfect. In Wisconsin I am a cold weather rider only (which is a lot) and I have a cold room so having the remote is KEY. I mean amazing. I lik the downward angle of air when having the fan up at about 7 ft. If I was back out west a major blower would be more beneficial.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm clearly in the wrong line of business. I'd think a fan would be $15, not $75.....but apparently like anything in the sport of cycling they are expensive!

Blower it is. I'll have to take a look and see if there are any screaming deals out there.

Stanley the same think as Lasko it appears?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm clearly in the wrong line of business. I'd think a fan would be $15, not $75.....but apparently like anything in the sport of cycling they are expensive!

I went through 3 "cheaper" fans before I broke down and got a blower fan. I think mine is a Stanley and is probably just a re-branding of the Lasko fan. At the time it was a few dollars cheaper on Amazon, but appears to be a few dollars more at the moment. It's night and day different than the other fans. My only complaints are it being too cold at the beginning of a ride sometimes and it blowing my towels all over the place. It will put out some air. Also has a few plugs integrated that are nice to plug in the laptop and other devices. Works well for me and would have been cheaper to just buy from the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is pricey, but I'm in hot and humid South Carolina and I do my trainer/roller rides in an out-building. This moves a lot of air to cool a lot of you without blowing really hard right in your face or eyes. It's the best fan I've yet found for the job.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MaxxAir-16-Inch-High-Velocity-Turbo-Floor-Fan-in-Red/281733735?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222082546174&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=83769043985211&wl4=pla-4578572581854447&wl12=281733735_0&wl14=Maxx%20Air%2016%22%20high%20velocity%20floor%20fan&veh=sem&msclkid=25baafe30484174ab943f3e32ee44f67

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best $100 ever

giant ass orange fan

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a tiny fan and end up making a big puddle of sweat. Good for acclimating for hot races, but perhaps not great otherwise?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I use a tiny fan and end up making a big puddle of sweat. Good for acclimating for hot races, but perhaps not great otherwise?

me too. Just a little cheap desk fan and a decent sized towel. I'm doing the low-volume sweet spot base plan on Trainerroad right now, and that seems to be fine, although I will grab a second towel for the 90 minute rides the plan calls for.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

me too. Just a little cheap desk fan and a decent sized towel. I'm doing the low-volume sweet spot base plan on Trainerroad right now, and that seems to be fine, although I will grab a second towel for the 90 minute rides the plan calls for.

Your muscles will not get the same workout, but your brain will get used to hotter temps. So, it is a tradeoff.

Consider mixing in a bigger fan to do more work somedays and keep some workouts with the tiny fan to maintain the heat acclimation.

Also, a huge sweat puddle does not mean you sweat more. Sweat is supposed to evaporate. If it drips off, physiologically, it was a waste. A blowing fan aides evaporation.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have a second tower fan that I'll use once I start getting into the "build" and "speciality" phases. but for sweet spot, sub-threshold workouts the heat really isn't too much of a problem.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [maukiwauw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maukiwauw wrote:
best $100 ever

giant ass orange fan

That fan is big, and likely produces a big volume of air, but it's not very powerful. I have this one that puts out 45% more CFM, is half the size, and a third of the price (but is almost definitely louder):
http://a.co/d/iCRVrvc
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hot pain cave fan these days? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
maukiwauw wrote:
best $100 ever

giant ass orange fan

That fan is big, and likely produces a big volume of air, but it's not very powerful. I have this one that puts out 45% more CFM, is half the size, and a third of the price (but is almost definitely louder):
http://a.co/d/iCRVrvc

I have a similar one to this purchased 8 years ago for 45$. I only ever use the lightest setting even for an FTP test or similar high end effort. On level 1 it will still blow itself across the concrete floor at that speed, I had to add extra sticky rubber to the feet.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply

Prev Next