Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced?
Quote | Reply
I am interested to see what people think, I am not sure if there was a previous post about this but I like to hear other people's stories. For me, I have never raced a 70.3, just the virtual one today so I have no input on this at all. Please explain why!!

P.S Lake Placid's bike course sucks. That's all. Enjoyed it a lot though! (Not complaining)
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done a lot of courses over the last 40+ years, have to say that Brad Kern's World's Toughest Half in Grass Valley was the most physically brutal. Water temp was a balmy 50, and that was fresh water too. Bike Ride was at altitude and climbed something like 6k ft, and the run was on horse trails that had 15+% grades. As I recall, I think the winning pro man's time was around the 4;30 to 4;40 range.

It was hard, and often 90+ degrees too..
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silverman was tough but wildflower on a hot year takes it. Mostly because we had to walk back up “that” hill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2018 Buffalo Springs. Wind was too strong, temps were too high, waves were too big. Would totally do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Syracuse 70.3. The bike course was no picnic but the run course was fucking brutal. Still almost went sub-5 and almost qualified for the 70.3 WC one year though. Lost the slot (and a few more AG places) on the run.

My worst time, asskicking though was the Cartagena 70.3. Heat index was 110 by early afternoon. That was pure misery.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jul 26, 20 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

2018 Buffalo Springs. Wind was too strong, temps were too high, waves were too big. Would totally do it again.

Agreed.

X2

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing about the World's toughest Triathlon in Auburn? Haven't done it, but always heard it was hard...very hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday race at American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only done 4 70.3s but Nice WC course was definitely not fast haha. Straight up mountain on the bike, and while the run was flat and straight, it was hot and unprotected.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an Ironman Australia qualifier race in the late 90's on Nth Stradbroke Island off Brisbane.The term 70.3 wasn't around so it was a Half Ironman. Surf swim (actual surf),stupidly hot,hilly double out and back ride on shit roads through part of what was a sand mine,followed by a hilly and hot run.Didn't help that I stayed at a backpackers hostel and drank too much beer the night before.Qualified for Ironman Oz though which was a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say there are a few I've done that are pretty close - the old Muskoka 70.3 course, Quassy/70.3 CT and the WC in Vegas. All of them are 4,000+ ft of elevation. The road conditions for Muskoka and Quassy are equally bad.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie. Not because of the course, but the water was in the mid 80s and the thermometer in the park read 97 when I left on the run.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was going to say that one because of stupid hard ride.

The run was not as bad as Wildflower and short but poorly marked and volunteers didn’t know what mile they were at on the course, so that was hard mentally - giving it your all without knowing you’re even on the course.

But looking at the times, I actually did worse at Donner Lake Half last year. The bike is deceivingly tough in that race and while the run is relatively flat, it’s brutal at 6k+ feet after that ride.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I'd say there are a few I've done that are pretty close - the old Muskoka 70.3 course, Quassy/70.3 CT and the WC in Vegas. All of them are 4,000+ ft of elevation. The road conditions for Muskoka and Quassy are equally bad.

I have done Muskoka several times and the Vegas 70.3 World's course and Silverman. They are equal in toughness, but Wildflower on any day are tougher, and Wildflower on a tough windy day is as hard at St. Croix which was always windy, humid and hot. Also tougher than Muskoka and Vegas was Mooseman70.3 on the course where you did the big Devil's Hill climb twice. Of all of these I would rank
  1. St. Croix
  2. Wildflower
  3. Mooseman
  4. Vegas 70.3 World's
  5. Muskoka

Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean Auburn? Did that back in 2007-8 when the run was on the western states route, rocky and steep in sections, definitely a beast. I don't remember the water being cold at all (Rattlesnake Bar iirc). One of the best races ever and pity to see it no longer around.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the Auburn race, guess it is next door to Grass Valley. Ya that old western states run course we did was brutal, especially if there had been any rain the week before. I remember it muddy once, just piling torture on top of torture, and it was hot out too!!

Of course there are tough courses out there because of weather, I can remember some Wildflower days that were just brutal. But the course is the course, doing a flat race in 112 degrees would be the toughest if we factor in weather. I was just going on pure topography, wind and heat can be anywhere at anytime..
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3 Wimbleball UK was a beast, although I can’t compare with many US races, only 70.3 Worlds 2013 and it was harder than that.

Cold swim, usually 13-15 Deg C then run up a steep hill to transition.

Bike began with a 20 minute climb, and claimed 53 hills in 56 miles. Endless rollers with 3/4 significant climbs and some nasty steep pitches totalling around 6000 ft, on terrible road surfaces.

The run was tougher than the bike. Twisty, lots of dead turns, either trail or soft spongey grass that saps the legs, one big climb done 3 times and loads of smaller lumps totalling around 1400 ft.

Throw in very early June date in one of the wettest parts of the UK - I did the race 5 times and had one dry race. Chris McCormack said it was the toughest 70.3 he’d ever done.

I loved it. It was a logistical challenge for WTC and was dropped from the schedule in 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wildflower of the ones I've done. I also planned poorly (did the LA Marathon 6 weeks before and my swim + bike fitness showed).

Camping - I wanted the full experience/there's not much nearby besides camping onsite. Camping itself isn't the problem, but I wasn't as prepared as I could have been and it's definitely not the same quality of sleep as being in your own bed. Wouldn't do anything other than camp in the future though.

Swim - pretty reasonable. The run back up the hill at the end kind of sucks without shoes, but that's probably the worst part.

Bike - it's actually hilly, not terribly so, but there are hills. It can also be hot out there (wasn't a cooker the year I did it but warm enough).

Run - combo of road + light trails (dusty), hills (especially the hill as others have mentioned), and heat. I over did it on the bike so my run had some good walking stretches to it.

The crowd along the course is pretty amazing and helps mitigate the toughest parts.

I had a friend describe it as more like a 2/3 than 1/3 Ironman. I haven't done a full, but it was certainly tougher than other halves I've done. Hope it comes back as I'd love to do it again (and hopefully smarter this time around).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say the Sunshine Coast 70.3 Worlds 2016 for a few reasons. It had a 20% climb in it that I found an absolute bitch and having to do a few laps seemed to have a lot of people confused and many that cheated finishing the race arms aloft claiming to be World Champions after a 78km bike...

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...4849_909829722457108
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

1. St. Croix
  2. Wildflower
Same for me.

3. Buffalo Springs
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 25, 20 20:03
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Sunday race at American Triple T

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The desert half in osoyoos was damn hard, it's gone now but I loved that race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Savage man 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun thread! Placid is so tough because of the typical wind direction and trend. The back half of the second loop is rough, most days straight into the wind which is stronger later in the day than it was your first time through. This is also an uphill trending stretch so it just is longer and mentally tougher.

Half’s...

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Savageman. That westernport wall, the rest of that mountain that follows, killer miller, the rest of the unnamed hills, a run course that isn’t any easier. The “saving grace” might be calm, great temperatures water in the swim.

1. Savageman
2. St. Croix
3. Wildflower
4. Dun Laoghaire
5. Quassy
6. Mooseman

Wish I had tried Auburn after reading this thread. Sounds like a real loss.

Would like to try more of those UK and Ireland races, had a blast on the brutal Dun Laoghaire course.

Wish more of these bike courses were still used!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: What is the hardest 70.3 course you've ever raced? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Savage man 70.3

+1
Quote Reply

Prev Next