Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is the fastest fork?
Quote | Reply

If forks had a fastest which would it be?

Lets say fast was jelly beans which fork would be the biggest bag?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you define a fast fork - more aero? You need a wind tunnel for that as well as tests with carefully executed and ecologically valid tests.

More responsive? This is determined by too many factors some of which are rider specific.

In my view, the fastest fork is the fork that has moved between two points and the least time. For example, the fork that Thomas Hellriegel used in 1996 moved from the start to the finish line (at Kona) in only 4:24:50. This is the fastest bike split ever in Ironman Hawaii. Nobody since managed to have a better bike split despite all the AERO bladed carbon stuff, P3, P2K, FIST, Dura Ace 10 gears or compact carbon cranks.

The conclusion is simple, the best cyclist has the fastest fork by (my) definition. Spending extra cash on a special (“faster”) fork is exactly what the bike shop owners and marketing gurus would like us to do, as well as the websites and magazines that get their adverts from them. I have never read a review in a magazine that analysed and studied a fork in a scientific way that allowed the reader to draw solid conclusions. After all they cannot afford to break the fork, test it in a wind tunnel, test its comfort in a non subjective empirical study ( in most cases they conclude that - “this one is full carbon, so it is more comfortable”) and so on.

No fork will make you faster, only hard training will. In fact a friend of mine changed the fork on his Giant OCR (which I believe you also ride) to the most aero fork I have ever seen (based on visual judgment). His 25miles splits have not improved at all.

Pluto

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Girls don't like it when you fork too fast.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one on Lance's bike ?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the Oval JetStreamTM or the Reynolds Aero from this website.

http://biketechreview.com/tunnel/aero_forks.htm
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [Topher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
            It looks like the Reynolds Ouzo Aero is the "fastest" right now. The good news for us budget concious racers is that Reynolds now has an aluminum steerer model with a list price of $259, much less than the full carbon model with all the bennefits of the original, and if their websight can be trusted, it's the same weight. I just got one, it's beautiful and I got a great discount on it!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Jan 18, 04 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%...there are no fast forks, only fast riders.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really have to advertise here?(smileys)Yeah they are cute.....Can not anything be free advertising!!Please tell me you are not making a buck on advertising on a triathlete forum sponsered by another.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to have offended you, Kenney, please enlighten me. What exactly was I advertising when I added the offending smiley, was it a sense of humour or just guilty of high spirits?

As for facbricating a male deer, you've got me there!

Yours unintentionally advertising...

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say the one that Marlin Brando uses would have to be pretty fast....

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Mike Burrow the Monoblade is without doubt considerably faster than any other fork out there. A family size bag of jelly beans if you like!

AndyA
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My vote would be for the Alpha Q aero blade-

It is VERY nice. Alpha Q really does a nice job, and their forks are rock-solid once you get it set up. Only drawback is once you get it cut and epoxy, you can't change it. I'm locked into a Vision 3-bolt design for the life of the fork and headtube, but it's a sweet set-up-

Felt DA700 frame, Alpha Q aero fork, and Vision Tri-max 3 bolt. FAST and great control.

Rob

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is the fastest fork? [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My very old Profile BRC w/ an AL steerer was the fastest fork at several races. Other races....well not so fast.
The bigger engine makes the fork faster or the fastest!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others that the fastest fork is on the bike of the fastest cyclist. Same as the fastest, waterbottle set up, or the fastest wheels/tires/saddle/frame/brakes, or the fastest clothing or the . . .

Not sure why this is always debated ad nausem around here, but it is.

Actually, I have seen it that truely the fastest forks where the stamped steel ones that Schwinn used to use on their crusier and kids bikes circa 1965 - those forks weighed a ton and had terrible lateral stability and stiffness, as I seem to recall from when I was a kid.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply