Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
For the METT series

Merckx Division Rules:
All Merckx racers must not race a time trial bike or a triathlon bike, the racer cannot use clip on bars, all wheels have to be under 40mm in depth, and no aero (tear drop) helmets. The racer may wear a skin suit if they so desire. All other race rules apply.

I guess these rules would screw me. I don't have wheels shallower than 60mm. :-). Seriously though, I don't have 202s or a super light bike, but I still do hill climbs. My 17 lb bike is quite the disadvantage compared to a sub-13 pound bike, but the only time I have had a bike weighed was when they weighed everyone's TT bike at master's nationals. I did see any scales the next day for the road race though.

One other advantage of a Merckx TT is that you don't need 2 bikes for a stage race.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:
One other advantage of a Merckx TT is that you don't need 2 bikes for a stage race.
People will still set up a second road bike specifically for TT.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a summer TT series. This year I put 3 separate Merckx categories in the series and it could possibly go to 4 next year.

Someone earlier said Merckx categories are about participation and testing oneself. That comment was spot on. While some are fiercely competitive, most want a good test and a means to track progress over the season.

The rules for WNTT are simple: Make Eddie proud.

I've had riders toe the line wearing wool jerseys on steel bikes with looping brake cables and downtube friction shifters (but no hair-nets). Yes, some aero parts show up here and there. These days Zipp 303s are becoming some riders' everyday JRA wheels.

We have had a dispute here and there, always in the first weeks of the series. Usually it's a new rider questioning another rider's rule interpretation. I've never had a case not resolved with a few quiet words about sportsmanship and the spirit of the category. Over time riders grow to understand that upgrading to 303s or an aero carbon drop bar won't gain you that minute you need to get on the podium.

Mark E
Quote Reply
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

I would submit the low participation numbers are not about equipment, but more about most folks having a problem with the internal motivation needed to effectively TT. The external motivation from mass start races works much better for most to be able to push themselves IMHO.

TT in and off themselves are pretty boring. I love racing bikes, but will probably only do 1 TT per year, outside of stage races.
Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't get all high and mighty about "internal motivation" as if TT is somehow more worthy because if you do it right it is mostly just very uncomfortable. For me it takes a lot more internal motivation to race criteriums, by far my weakest event and always difficult to stay on the pace.

That being said, two TTs this weekend, 5K prologue uphill tomorrow and then a pancake flat 15 miler on Sunday. I'm not sure which one will hurt more (although I will place a lot better in the uphill one;)

Who's getting "high and mighty"? What I said about motivation above applies to me too.

That said...I've actually noticed myself lately having a problem with internal motivation to get myself to start a crit, but once I'm going, the external motivation takes over. TTs have been sort of the opposite...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>People will still set up a second road bike specifically for TT.

Hey, someone has to be the Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Steel bike, box rim tubulars, leather saddle, toe clips, wool jersey, leather helmet, baguette.

Don't forget that shoes must have laces, no Velcro. Also how about a 15 second bonus for all-steel lugged frame and fork, and an additional 15 if you use friction downtube shifters....
Quote Reply
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benjpi wrote:
Quote:
Steel bike, box rim tubulars, leather saddle, toe clips, wool jersey, leather helmet, baguette.

Don't forget that shoes must have laces, no Velcro. Also how about a 15 second bonus for all-steel lugged frame and fork, and an additional 15 if you use friction downtube shifters....

I think they should award an instant win to someone who shows up with holes drilled everywhere in the frame and material milled out of the components - like Merckx used for his hour record.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a Merckx ITT? [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming they could keep it assembled to the finish, I guess. I think the Mexico City velodrome has a smoother road surface than the typical road-course tt...
Quote Reply

Prev Next