Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is a "Age Grouper"
Quote | Reply
I get very frustrated at the people that define themselves as "age groupers" who have the ability to train full time like a pro and/or have the ability to train as part of there job. Without naming names the top age grouper in kona this year trains fulltime as part of his job coaching his athletes. When you have a person who trains there a#*e off in the minimal hours outside of their normal work hours usually a max of 4hrs a day trying to compete against someone who has the ability to train fultime or as part of their job.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a "Age Grouper" [Steleo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's fantastic he can make money and do what he loves at the same time. More hours doesn't always mean faster for everyone. Myself--I'd bust in half with that kind of volume. An age grouper is simply an athlete, non-licensed pro, who is in a 5 year age category designed to compete with those of like/similar age. It doesn't mean you can't be "elite" or fast, or super slow.

The whole point of competing, pro or AG, is dependent upon the athlete. Some want to win, some want the money (what little there is if you're not winning Kona), some just to test themselves against their own best efforts, some just to participate-bucket list item. It's a personal journey for everyone. Their speed levels and their jobs should not bother you one bit. Good for the AG winner, happy for them.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Oct 16, 18 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am happy for him. Great guy!! Thanks for bringing it up.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is a "Age Grouper" [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steleo wrote:
I get very frustrated at the people that define themselves as "age groupers" who have the ability to train full time like a pro and/or have the ability to train as part of there job. Without naming names the top age grouper in kona this year trains fulltime as part of his job coaching his athletes. When you have a person who trains there a#*e off in the minimal hours outside of their normal work hours usually a max of 4hrs a day trying to compete against someone who has the ability to train fultime or as part of their job.

Just so we're clear isn't your gripe really about being jealous that he has been able to figure out a way to make a living, provide for himself and his family while at the same time continue to do his hobby full-time while you've got to bust your ass at a regular job?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So because for whatever reason someone can/wants to train more than you and can/wants to work less than you it is not "fair" that they can race you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bigger issue with the AGers that are sponsored or receive items at a discount not available to the general public.
I believe that this should bump you into the Pro category.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: What is a "Age Grouper" [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get discounts and deals without being fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would prefer that triathlon had a divisions like cycling instead of age groups, would make it more of a race.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a "Age Grouper" [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Steleo wrote:

Just so we're clear isn't your gripe really about being jealous that he has been able to figure out a way to make a living, provide for himself and his family while at the same time continue to do his hobby full-time while you've got to bust your ass at a regular job?
Answer: yes.

This is the correct response:
Quote:
I am happy for him. Great guy!! Thanks for bringing it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
I have a bigger issue with the AGers that are sponsored or receive items at a discount not available to the general public.
I believe that this should bump you into the Pro category.

If they get that it's probably because they bring good exposure to those brands. I understand it. Actually I think it's ridiculous that once I saw a group of pros talking shit about brand X because said brand "sponsored" AGers and did not "support" pros. Well shit, if those AGers get that it is because they offer a better platform to promote the brand than some shitty pros who don't know how to market themselves. There's no charity.
Quote Reply
Re: What is a "Age Grouper" [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
I would prefer that triathlon had a divisions like cycling instead of age groups, would make it more of a race.

Ooh that sounds very interesting

Would be nice to see if this increases participation even more. So say a 2:00/100 yard swimmer with approx 18 MPH bike on flat course and say 9:30/mile run time would still actually be racing

I like the idea. It sure how it would be done but interesting IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been done a hundred times or more here. You won't get anything but grief.

AG is imperfect. Category would be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm tired of all the offended people in the world these days...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 16, 18 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is only triathlon that have AG and Pro. In all other sports you have athletes.
If you are fast you can make money.

A Pro is a person with a pro card. That is the difference.

Hopefully triathlon can start treating the racers like rest of the sports world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steleo wrote:

Age groupers are old, slow and fat. Like me.

Just in case if somebody asks who is not old, slow and fat. Well. “The most interesting athlete on ST” for example!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That has nothing to do with getting a pro/elite card from your NF or Ironman. So a 50 year old who helps a brand do PR should race Pro/Elite? no

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: What is a "Age Grouper" [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually in swimming age grouper means under 18 ;)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me do the math for you. 4 hrs per day x 7 days a week = 28 hours per week. If you are able to put in 20-28 hours per week of training, week in and week out, and still can't get as fast as the top AG ... lack training hours is probably not the reason why you can't catch them :)

Steleo wrote:

Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:

Cycling, at least USA Cycling has both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steleo wrote:

Age groupers do not define themselves as AGs. Their National federation defines that. They have to qualify and apply to be a pro. There is going to be cross over. Just like a high school girl in high occasionally running faster times than men in college. Should she be obligated to race colligate men?

Every person has different circumstances.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: What is a "Age Grouper" [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
That has nothing to do with getting a pro/elite card from your NF or Ironman. So a 50 year old who helps a brand do PR should race Pro/Elite? no

When a person receives financial gain from a sport, they become a pro in that sport, imo. So if a person gets a discounted bike (at a price not available to the public) from a mfr or a shop, they should be a pro.

The grey area is when it’s for their ability to move product because of their personality rather than athletic ability.

The current system is has a very large jump from ag to pro. I’m glad there is discussion regarding those great athletes that are in between pro and ag.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"When a person receives financial gain from a sport, they become a pro in that sport, imo. So if a person gets a discounted bike (at a price not available to the public) from a mfr or a shop, they should be a pro. "

I'm afraid you're confusing being able to "work the system" for deals with definition of a pro athlete. This has been going on in every industry in the world for generations. You should look up the definition of PRO. Consult your national or world federation, they'll set you straight on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a guy (triathlete) who is old, fat and slow. He's been getting products, etc., at a discount from local sponsors, and sometimes free race entries, for years now (from the time when he was young, fat and slow).
He is not a great athlete, but he is very outgoing, friendly and a great ambassador for the sport. Race directors and local shops love being associated with the guy. That's why he gets the stuff (plus, he asks the shops and races to sponsor him--so he markets himself).
He never has (and likely never will) win his age group at anything. He is usually at the tail end of every triathlon he does. His only shot at Kona would be through the legacy program. But he loves racing and he loves the other people at the races, so he's at most of the local tris.
Why should this guy be forced to race pro, just because he gets some swag and discounts? That's crazy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bra...all you need is 20k insta followers and Giant UK will hook you up with a free bike.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next