Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is Starky's run cadence?
Quote | Reply
His turnover looked slow at IMTX, but his speed wasn't too shabby. Anybody know what his race run cadence is?
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roughly half of Joce McCauley's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you have obnoxiously long femurs, a high cadence approach winds up raising HR. I run into this problem a lot, too. Think my fastest 13.1 I was at something like 165 SPM.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about his arms. His arms were lowered when he ran. I tried this morning and felt awkward. My arms are up like Jocelyn.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went and found footage of him running. About 30 minutes in this video https://www.facebook.com/...eos/376215276313109/

Counting his footstrikes, around 160 steps per minute. Probably looks slower because of how low his arms are.

Fast forward to Nilsson at 3 hours and 6 minutes into that video, he's only doing about 164. I actually thought it would be faster. Maybe he's slow rolling it in?
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 30, 19 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does his cadence matter?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

It doesn’t. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too low of a cadence causes premature muscle fatigue. Too high of a cadence blows through energy unnecessarily fast. If somebody's is low, it's trainable upwards, so you can avoid the former without causing the latter. But, too high and too low are relative and not totally set in stone numbers.

Starky's matters because he's fast for a bigger guy. And cadence is also affected by your size (giraffes have slower cadence than a wiener dog). As a taller and bigger guy myself, I am curious what somebody who is successful puts out as his cadence so I will know to be happy with or try to improve upon my own.

Does that answer your question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then I would recommend you stop worrying about cadence. Your body handles that naturally. This discussion has been had 1000s of times and your cadence will naturally increase as you run more and become more efficient, changing it by yourself has no benefits.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
your cadence will naturally increase as you run more and become more efficient

Quoting yourself, that's exactly why I want to know his because we are the same size and if his is fine for him, then my own similar number should be fine for me. Or we could just mull around with our heads in a wet paper bag and ignore the world around us like you suggest. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote 'and your cadence will naturally increase as you run more and become more efficient, changing it by yourself has no benefits'

Andrew has run more every year and become more efficient. SO why hasn't his cadence increased??

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I'm curious about his arms. His arms were lowered when he ran. I tried this morning and felt awkward. My arms are up like Jocelyn.

my guess is to keep everything all the way up to his shoulders relaxed. i used to run with my arms drawn up and it would keep my muscles in my upper back / neck all tight and tense. i dropped my arms and i try and keep them swaying lower and that helps a lot with the tight muscles that do nothing for running.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Well then I would recommend you stop worrying about cadence. Your body handles that naturally. This discussion has been had 1000s of times and your cadence will naturally increase as you run more and become more efficient, changing it by yourself has no benefits.

Idk about that. I do know that it's been shown that you tend to be most efficient at the cadence your body naturally goes with, but I am fairly sure that benefits can be had by changing it over time, forcefully. I know I am n=1 but I was running at 155-ish naturally for 5-6 years before running with a metronome for 6 months and working up to 175-ish. My half PR went up by 4 minutes with the same shoes on a slightly tougher course then my first half at the lower cadence. Volume didn't really change much from one to the other but I did also start cycling within that time frame so that could have helped the aerobic system. I still attribute some of that improvement by forcefully changing my cadence.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
....your cadence will naturally increase as you run more and become more efficient, changing it by yourself has no benefits.
In general? Maybe.
Always? I don't believe so.

Be careful stating study conclusions too simplistically.
Black and white answers are often inappropriate.

I certainly benefited massively from changing my running style which involved a large increase in cadence from mid 150s to around 190. I doubt very much the same change would ever have occurred naturally (or would have occurred from a gradual cadence increase). It was a step change due to a shortening of the stride and a change in footwear and was the end of years of injuries. I'm not saying this is advisable for everyone else. I'm simply saying that your statement tells me I shouldn't have done that - I'm glad I wasn't taking your advice.

For established runners with reasonable form and fitness, natural cadence selection may well tend to be optimum. Extrapolating that to all runners and stating it as a blanket fact is not supported by any study I've seen. If such a study exists, or even a convincing argument for that matter, feel free to provide a link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen benefits by raising mine.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'2" and my cadence is in the low 150s. But I am 54 years old and doubt that I could change that now.

rrheisler wrote:
When you have obnoxiously long femurs, a high cadence approach winds up raising HR. I run into this problem a lot, too. Think my fastest 13.1 I was at something like 165 SPM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you also get dragged under a truck? I dont think looking at Starky's running style has any benefit to anyone other than Starky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop dissecting and questioning the whats and hows of @tri_starky and just admire what this guy can do in a sport that he is not built for. You see many 6'2" 190lbs mountains of muscle running 3hr marathons? You see any doing that after swimming 2.4 miles and riding 112 miles????
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2016 February new female client 63 years old. goal she said to run a faster half marathon. previous time 2:38 may 2015.
May 2016 Runs a 2:16 half marathon same course. learned to run better in three months without one lb of wt loss at plus 60 years of age.

I have many of these clients and they all hate people that say I am to old to change, your just natural. Actually is was hard work and focus.

WHY. Anyone can learn new habits and old dogs pick up things much faster including increasing your run cadence.

You cant increase your run cadence because you don't want too. not due to age or ability. Also you may not understand how one learns to increase their run cadence.

Also how do I change my keyboard to stop making this É in place of an question mark. KIDS!

154 is so slow. you are doing more to hold back your moment then get free speed.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

Cadence is a good indicator of how the body responds to the function of running. If you are fit for running your cadence + stride length = the ground you cover. If you are hitting those marks and times of those that bust out world class runs, heck you've done your job.

Works like this:

A long stride length at a certain pace indicates inefficiency, and requires specific training to improve cadence.
Too high a cadence at a certain pace, indicates " " and also requires specific training to improve stride length.

Or you can work on both. IMO it's obvious :).

I've said this before, same for swim kick. You need a good cadence to have an effective kick and that takes a lot of kick work to develop. It's not left to chance.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:
Did you also get dragged under a truck? I dont think looking at Starky's running style has any benefit to anyone other than Starky.

Or break a collarbone & spend time in a Middle Eastern prison?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:

Actually yes. I was run over by a full size Buick station wagon and spent a week in a hospital getting put back together. And then I spent a month in a wheelchair before I was finally able to graduate to crutches for another couple of months. Amongst other things, my right femur was snapped in half. Does that answer your question sufficiently?
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 1, 19 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotthb wrote:
Stop dissecting and questioning the whats and hows of @tri_starky and just admire what this guy can do in a sport that he is not built for. You see many 6'2" 190lbs mountains of muscle running 3hr marathons? You see any doing that after swimming 2.4 miles and riding 112 miles????

I never dissected or questioned what Starky is doing. He's fine. I was curious what his cadence is because I am the same size and build and it's interesting for me to learn from. Nothing more. Calm your t*ts.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotthb wrote:

Is that accurate, 6'2, 190 lbs? Watching him run I was very curious about his height/weight and couldn't find anything online.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Starky's run cadence? [TXAgeGrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'2 yes. 190 might be taking a little literary license but each quadzilla is at least 50lbs :D
Oh, and am not attacking anyone's posts on ST. Just want to point out how amazing an athlete he is in spite of how he looks on the run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next