Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is "Elite"
Quote | Reply
I noticed a sharply critical posting on somebody else's board about what is meant by "elite" in our sport. I'm happy to stay out of the personal battle of that post, but the question is an interesting one.

What defines an "elite" triathlon competitor?

USAT Pro/Elite Card? Tri Mag Rankings? World's Selection? Kona Qualfying? Breaking 2 hours or 9 hours? Something else?
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Elite" [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say Pro Card = Elite from a pure categorization perspective. But to me, truly elite = ITU WC or Ironman Podium or podium potential (i.e. could get on a podium on any given race) and typically some world ranking. It I were to equate that to time, it would be sub 1:48 or sub 8:45. Sub 2 hours is certainly not elite, nor is KONA age group qualifying. There are many posers who have done the former (myself) or the latter (not me) that I certainly would not consider elite.

Dev
Quote Reply
Nah [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 In my book Elite is anyone who toes the line as a "scratch" racer. Only going for the big prize or looking real bad trying for it.
I think running, triathlons and swimming have way too many "handicap" racers, ie like golf not the physical way. Why should a perfectly healthy 23- 35 year race for an age group prize anyway?. I think it would be a better world if they gave the same total number of awards , but maybe 10 or 15 deep in the "Scratch" group . Then also recognize Juniors,35-50, and a really old farts category. (I am over 50).maybe three deep.
Due to safety and bike skills cycling chooses a more rational approach. Rating by skill then also if it is a large field divide it and if it is a small one combine them. Just my thoughts. G
I still have a bitter taste from a guy who complained that I only gave out two trophies and there were three guys in his age group. Guess which third place he came in besides DFL in his group? That race was 20 years ago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My definition of elite is more ITU related because you race for your country’s tri federation and not to your sponsors/team.

An Elite athlete is for sure a “world class” athlete competing for the front spots but a Pro Athlete may not even win is age group, that’s the difference IMO.

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Elite" [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent point about holding a current USAT pro/elite card.

This was a hot topic at north florida triathlon last week. This small (300 entry) race was dominated by professional, sponsored athletes that consumed all of the overall and most of the age group placings. Elite, sponsored athletes commute to this race from all over the Southeast because it is an early season wetsuit race that gives them some good practice prior to St. Anthony's. However, with the elites competing for age group spots, the local age groupers don't stand much chance at placing. Both the men's and women's overall winners are sponsored by more than 10 companies and tout their victory at this small north Florida race on their websites.

I wish more race directors would create a mutually exclusive elite category for currently registered USAT pro/elite athletes. Those athletes would be limited to placing in the overall and masters categories only. Leaving true amateur athletes to fill the age group and potentially overall or masters placings.

I like the idea of the category being for current USAT card holding elites only. Once a pro/elite retires or registers as an amateur w/ the USAT, they would be welcome to compete as an age grouper again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone who beats me is an "elite" in my book!

I'm a standard BOP/MOP newbie, so no arrogance intended - just a little fun.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Elite" [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scox43, If what you are saying is true about the USAT card holding Pros taking age-group awards, then they should have their cards taken away. An athlete with a USAT Pro card is ineligible for age-group prizes and is supposed to be counted separately in the results. A Pro card doesn't allow for an athlete to race age-group one week and pro the next.

Now, just because they have 10 sponsors doesn't mean they are officially a pro. In fact, there are a lot of good age-groupers who are sponsored, some because they are fast, some because they are good ambassadors for the companies. There are also a lot of pros without sponsorship. So, just because they wear a lot of logos doesn't mean they are a pro.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Elite" [trischnitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a 40-44 m AGer and rank at 30% nationwide. I train 6 days

a week, 11 months a year and race Sprint distance to Ironman

every year. I do improve with each season, however, the gains

are less with each year. Will I become an "Elite?" Not in the near

term. My definition of an Elite, is All American. AAs are the top

5% of an AG. Their training is not much harder than what I do.

They just have it. They have been Elites ever since Little League.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Elite" [trischnitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are registered pros. You'll see them at St. Anthony's in the pro categories. They know who they are. This was a small 300 entry event and I'm sure the race director just placed everyone based on age and finish times based on the results printout from the timing company. I doubt the race director cross referenced every age group athlete to see if they were registered as a pro w/ the USAT and then ran new printouts. That's why I think a pre-registration wave and category would help.

I agree completly w/ sponsorship not equating to pro status. Afterall, my try club has sponsorship for all its amateur athletes. However, I specifically said registered USAT pro athletes. (Even bolded it in my statement above.)

Point is, pro athletes need to be pulled out of age group rankings all together and it sounds like you not only agree, but its part of USAT's official pro rules. I just think an elite wave and pre-registration in all USAT events would provide clarity.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Elite" [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We agree. The race director dropped the ball then as USAT rules also require that everyone show their USAT card and photo ID at check in. Don't get me started on that as most RDs don't do that, but still. Those Pros should be ashamed.

As to what is "Elite"- there has been discussion in the past about an Elite Age-Grouper wave at races as well and if those individuals who choose to race in that category should be counted for national and regional rankings within their age-groups. But that's another can of worms.
Quote Reply