Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What helmet should I buy?
Quote | Reply
What bike helmet should I buy? I’m primarily training for triathlon but I want something that’s just as good for road cycling - the reality is I’ll be spending far more time using it for just road cycling/training than for actual tri-racing. I’m keen for something aero and safe (e.g., MIPS or wavecell), and obviously not too heavy. Comfortable would be good. I don’t want a TT helmet.

Would love your thoughts - thanks crew!
Quote Reply
Re: What helmet should I buy? [peteryock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Scott Cadence Plus. Comfortable, MIPS, good ventilation, and supposed to be pretty aero (Sebastian Kienle raced in one at Kona for a couple of years).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Number 1, 2, and 3 in the selection criteria...
Fit.
Fit.
And... wait for it...
Fit.

If it doesn't fit properly, it doesn't save your bonce as well, when it's called into its intended use.

So try-before-you-buy.

Now... for myself and one of my training buddies, we're bith on Met Manta 'aero' road helmets.
Most comfy helmet (for me) I've had in 30 years.
And very light too (tho that wasn't in my list of priorities when purchasing).

Otherwise the Specialized Evade seems to be popular and perform ok, from what is read.

I'm not 100% convinced yet about just how much difference MIPS makes (as from what I follow the tests don't seem to replicate the extra 'shear' / 'rotation' movement the scalp and hair already give in such impacts - ie I suspect the tests over- state the benefits). But having said that, it doesn't make it less safe (albeit a bit rattley maybe from what I know on MTB helmets).
Quote Reply
Re: What helmet should I buy? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd echo fit... if you can try on several, there's your ticket. I also have the Scott Cadence Plus mostly for road cycling but have used it in tri's. The padding is somewhat sparse and some of mine fell out from sweat but you can put some of your own padding in areas that you would like to change or supplement for fit.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got a Smith Ignite and love it. Had my fastest ever olympic distance bike split in it a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps it was due to the training, course, conditions, bike, wheels, or a million other factors of course. Either way helmet was nice and sounds like what you are looking for - aero helmet that you can wear for road riding too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like all Kask helmets. Light, stylish, good adjustability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a big head.

Take that how you want... but Bell and Rudy Project have done me well. Both brands fit and are comfortable to me.

But as mentioned, go to your local shop and try some on. What works for one may not for others.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply