Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show
Quote | Reply
These three were must-listens for me. I also liked the Eric Shwartz one for a more beginner-level.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sheer volume of podcasts out there has become staggering. To keep doing them, becomes a huge amount of work. Few podcasts actually make any money - so you are either doing them as an extension of your own personal marketing, or you LOVE doing podcasts! After a time it all starts to become a bit repetitive - particularly if you are in a niche subject area such as Triathlon.

Yes - there is lot's to talk about, but at some point you will start just repeating yourself. And I am sure viewers/listeners does start to drop off - unless you are a marquee draw like a Lionel Sanders. Even someone like Taren Gesell with a decent to good following has started to see numbers drop off after a steady climb to a peak!

Point being - at some point the course runs, on these Podcasts and, and I am sure the people producing them just get tired of it, don't have time or move on to something else!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, although I do think TRS was very different and had a nice niche in the Triathlon space. It's too bad that the host turned out to lose interest since he was a bit of our "Howard Stern" and was quite entertaining. I think things happened in his personal life that drew him away from the sport but I do miss that podcast.

As far as Taren, I think he went off the rails in not deciding who he really wanted to be in this space. By trying to be all things to all people I think he has killed his own future. I don't really listen to any of his stuff anymore.

Best podcast out there right now? In my opinion Pro Tri News. Great listen every time. The Triathlete Magazine podcasts are also really good.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Agree, although I do think TRS was very different and had a nice niche in the Triathlon space. It's too bad that the host turned out to lose interest since he was a bit of our "Howard Stern" and was quite entertaining. I think things happened in his personal life that drew him away from the sport but I do miss that podcast.

As far as Taren, I think he went off the rails in not deciding who he really wanted to be in this space. By trying to be all things to all people I think he has killed his own future. I don't really listen to any of his stuff anymore.

Best podcast out there right now? In my opinion Pro Tri News. Great listen every time. The Triathlete Magazine podcasts are also really good.

I love Kat Matthews but one of the greatest things she has brought to triathlon is Mark. He's great on that shoe.

The TTL podcast with Paula Findlay, Eric Lagerstrom and Nick Goldston is pretty damn great as they get started. Triathlon Mockery is half buffoonery, half great advice. And the buffoonery is pretty funny haha

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The REAL triathlon podcast is another solid one. I miss TRS a lot, but between TRT podcast, TTL, and Pro Tri News, there’s great entertainment.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give some love to the venerable IM Talk podcast, they are one of the oldest.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been enjoying MX endurance lately.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who remembers the "Age Grouper"?
I think they stopped around 2014 or so. I used to listen to them when I started out and besides ZenTri and Irontalk there were only a handful of triathlon podcasts at that time. Also Legends of Triathlon was an awesome series of interviews.

dmagic17 wrote:
These three were must-listens for me. I also liked the Eric Shwartz one for a more beginner-level.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRS with dark mark was seriously entertaining......miss them a lot.....pity that he even pulled down the podcast archive
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I'll give some love to the venerable IM Talk podcast, they are one of the oldest.

I'd go so far as to say the oldest and for my money still the best. I recall searching for information about triathlon and Ironman around the 2006/2007 timeframe and coming across their podcast (Ironman Talk at the time). I even wore their first tri jersey during my first Ironman (Spring 2008 - the last IM Arizona in the Spring). I don't think I've missed an episode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made me cry just reading this post. TRS was too early for its time. If they launched that last year it would be the most successful podcast out there. Now we are stuck with a bunch of bettas talking about nothing and some age groupers just trying to have a convo with a pro so they call it a podcast. No one knows what they're talking about anymore. Including myself! Thats why i never get invited back to the PTN podcast! haha

Everyone poor one out tonight for our boys at TRS! Ben, Mark, and Websty we miss yall. RIP
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best for sure! I have left the tri scene but I still listen to IM Talk.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Best for sure! I have left the tri scene but I still listen to IM Talk.

Back at ya. I've been out of the tri scene since late 2014 (still a fan of the sport though) and still listen weekly.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Made me cry just reading this post. TRS was too early for its time. If they launched that last year it would be the most successful podcast out there. Now we are stuck with a bunch of bettas talking about nothing and some age groupers just trying to have a convo with a pro so they call it a podcast. No one knows what they're talking about anymore. Including myself! Thats why i never get invited back to the PTN podcast! haha

Everyone poor one out tonight for our boys at TRS! Ben, Mark, and Websty we miss yall. RIP

for those of us who missed the TRS age, can someone explain what it was all about?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, a Twitter account claiming to be the real Starky, banned from ST, drink white milk spoof of the Chocolate Milk ads, the interview on KileyAY’s wind tunnel testing, willing to be controversial, Stan…

Actually was just chatting with Pubes about podcasts. I’m of the mindset that if a podcast isn’t well produced, my time isn’t being respected, but then 3 hours of unedited Joe Rogan is the top podcast, so I’m not right. But, give me a Freakonomics, Revisionist History, Against the Rules, Hidden Brain, No Stupid Questions, Last Archive, RadioLab for the triathlon listener that is well produced, under 40min and not merely people having a poorly planned conversation and I’ll start subscribing. Otherwise, I personally can’t justify it.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the Peter Reid and Lori Bowden show on eyada.com. It was the early 2000s so it might have been before podcasts.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for these - picked up a couple new ones.

Not mentioned so far is That Triathlon Show. Took me a bit to get into it, but he summarizes relevant endurance research and does interviews that are pretty solid. Greg Bennet Show has been worth subscribing to.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ahead of their time? Maybe.

The challenge that Ben and Mark faced was that they burned the whole of triathlon to the ground, pissed off so many, and then tried, to monetize it and surprise, surprise . . no brand in the business wanted to touch them with a ten-foot-pole! Not judging here, just stating a fact! I sense, Ben then lost interest, and checked out!

They were good - but it was a very dark, and extreme brand of sarcasm, satire and humor that even in the best scenario and circumstances is only going to have a limited appeal, in an already narrow and niche, and small market!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Ahead of their time? Maybe.

The challenge that Ben and Mark faced was that they burned the whole of triathlon to the ground, pissed off so many, and then tried, to monetize it and surprise, surprise . . no brand in the business wanted to touch them with a ten-foot-pole! Not judging here, just stating a fact! I sense, Ben then lost interest, and checked out!

They were good - but it was a very dark, and extreme brand of sarcasm, satire and humor that even in the best scenario and circumstances is only going to have a limited appeal, in an already narrow and niche, and small market!

I think On Yer Left has done a good job providing TRS style sarcasm. There’s definitely an audience- monetizing that interest is a challenge. they’ve been warned to avoid TRS’s fate

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 23, 22 17:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Serious Training, I listen to Purple Patch Podcast.

Then there's The Brick Session, which has a no BS approach about training hosted by Mark Livesey. Andy Blow and Richard Stanard used to be co-hosts but I think precision Hydration has been getting big. Heather Wurtele was co-hosting for awhile, need to badger her to get her back on.

Then there's the Triathlon Mockery which is fun...would like Skipper to address his Bahrain money though, if only to get his balls busted.

My GF listens to Pro Tri News and TTL. Years and years ago, Paula seemed like a very cold person, or that was the vibe I got. The last year on TTL has been great, but the few episodes of the TTL podcast that I've listened to her personality shines through as the star and she's hilarious.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by talbotcox [ In reply to ]
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

IM talk is/has always been the best, brilliant chemistry between the two and love hearing them gossip about triathletes and hypothetical races etc

What let's them down is the guests they have on, terrible in the main part. It can't be too hard to get the Brownlees, Frodo, Gomez on etc.

The triathletes they do usually get on are fringe top 10 athletes mainly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought I'd post it on Slowtwitch. But I do a triathlon podcast with zero pretensions or ambitions. I just like doing the research, writing the scripts and producing the shows. Yes. It's very different. And yes. I'm a bit awkward in front of the microphone.

Here's one about aerobars: https://www.thestreakpodcast.com/podcast/3

And another about the France Iron Tour: https://www.thestreakpodcast.com/podcast/8

I also write a near-daily triathlon blog. Bringing to life old magazines: https://www.thestreakpodcast.com/blog

Cheers.

Ross
Last edited by: thestreak: Mar 24, 22 4:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved Bret and Zen Tri. He was one of the first (2006 or 7?) tri podcasts and definitely in the first generation of podcasts in general. I still follow him on social media, and he occasionally comes back on the forums. I think though that he has moved onto MTB and gravel riding. Podcasting takes a lot of time to do it well.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to the old tri podcasts? Zen Tri, TRS Radio, Triathlon Preview Show [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Who remembers the "Age Grouper"?
I think they stopped around 2014 or so. I used to listen to them when I started out and besides ZenTri and Irontalk there were only a handful of triathlon podcasts at that time. Also Legends of Triathlon was an awesome series of interviews.

dmagic17 wrote:

I was also a big fan of The Age Grouper: "And we're back!"

Loved TRS as well. It was hilarious. Quite frankly, the triathlon world is full of serious people having serious discussions and having comedy involved is important. Hearing people talk triathlon gets pretty boring without humor thrown in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next