Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What does your offseason training look like?
Quote | Reply
No more races for me this year. Not sure yet what I will be doing next year, but I’d like to h e a productive offseason. I have ideas of what I want to do, but not yet how to make a plan:

Swim: lots of technique work to get better catch/pull/body position. Using my underwater camera a lot

Would like to do yoga 1-2x a week

Strength training and mobility. Figure out what exercises are best and how long/often to strength train. Ryan Flaherty says hex bar deadlifts are the best for runners/cyclist types. Dropping the weight at the top. Add squats? Kettlebells? Rowing?

Not sure what kind of run/bike workouts to do and how they should fit in.

My gym also has a “speed school” that is a separate camp run by a guy working with athletes trying to get more “explosive”. I may look at that and see if it would be worthwhile.

What do your offseason plans/workouts/goals look like?
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, but dropping the bar at the top of the movement sets off all kinds of triggers for me.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I dunno, but dropping the bar at the top of the movement sets off all kinds of triggers for me.

This is the method described by Ryan Flaherty. He had a performance academy where nfl prospects would come and work out trying to get faster before the combine. And now he’s director of performance at Nike. He said that lifting up is what strengthens the muscle and builds explosiveness. When you de-load, that’s what tears it and promotes it to grow (and add mass). By dropping it at the top, you get the benefit, but aren’t adding additional bulk.

He was a guest on the Tim Ferris podcast a while ago talking about his methodology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did something different and bought an offseason plan from Training Peaks

Specifically:
v3.1 - 12-Week BASE BUILDER, High Volume: Structured XTERRA Training Written by Cody Waite

Going to start soon.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Specifically:
v3.1 - 12-Week BASE BUILDER, High Volume: Structured XTERRA Training Written by Cody Waite

Going to start soon.

I've been researching off season quite a bit lately and I'm confused. I see a size-able segment of people suggesting plans like what you just bought, but how is that "off" season? Isn't this just starting your base early?
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Specifically:

Going to start soon.

I've been researching off season quite a bit lately and I'm confused. I see a size-able segment of people suggesting plans like what you just bought, but how is that "off" season? Isn't this just starting your base early?

To me, off-season doesn't mean "time off". It's just the time in-between race seasons. Part of that should be time off to do other things, but it's also the time for building base.

For me, the triathlon season IS my off season. First swim meet is next month (yikes, that seems like it snuck up fast), but even that is mostly about base training up until early Feb or so when I'll start prepping seriously for Nationals.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually like to get away from specific tri workouts in the Fall. Just enjoy some mountain biking and stand up paddle boarding. I also started to downhill ski a lot more in the past few years. After doing the tri stuff for so long I like the break and to do something different.
Usually in January I'll start back in the pool and indoor biking. Working more on mileage and strength during the Winter months.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Offseason is fun time. Lots of mountain biking, cross races, occasional road races, trail runs, etc. I also use it as time to improve weakness - i.e. a heavy swim focus this winter.

Plus loads of base miles, centuries, etc. on the bike (both Zwift and outdoor). Off season doesn't mean any less hours working out for me, they're just more fun and less tailored at specific peaks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my offseason I move over to more gravel bike events. I would like to add some more yoga/stretching but we will see if that happens. and back to some strength training. If I had more ambitious triathlon goals then I would probably have some more focused goals for the offseason. But since I don't so I just train for gravel biking which will at least keep me in cycling shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Specifically:

Going to start soon.

Not really an "off season" for any more than 4-6 weeks and like Jason said it's just time between races.

Typically I've run a lot in that big gap from October to March but this time I'm trying something different than I have in the last several years. I'm taking more of a break now, breaking my big cycles down to 16(ish) weeks at a time and balancing the 3 sports more. I'm also going to add (gasp!) strength training.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should probably be called "post" season instead of "off".

I was thinking about using the time to do strength training and lower volume workouts in all three sports but with a focus on speed and form. Lots of drills and skills training. The kind of things I tend to drop in regular season. To me, that sounds better than simply starting base training early.

I'm still looking for books that spend time talking about post season, especially strength training in post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(I am mostly cycling)

Now that the season is over, I can more honestly appraise the year and say "wow, I really messed that up!" My general issue was I rode way too "hot" all year. So focusing on Zone 2, Zone 2, Zone 2 for the next 3-4 months.

I will also try and add back some running, stretching, strength, foundation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post-season would be contained within the entire "off" season.

To me, post season is about rest and recuperation. Don't touch the bike, get out of the pool, put your running shoes away. Go play with your kids. Watch a movie with your SO.

After that, it's about pre-season - building base, building strength and durability. This is where I'm at now.

The "on" season starts when you start doing specific work targeted at your main competitions. I.e. the build phase.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
It should probably be called "post" season instead of "off".

I was thinking about using the time to do strength training and lower volume workouts in all three sports but with a focus on speed and form. Lots of drills and skills training. The kind of things I tend to drop in regular season. To me, that sounds better than simply starting base training early.

I'm still looking for books that spend time talking about post season, especially strength training in post.

Complete Conditioning for Swimming (Salo, Riewald) . I'm looking at it right now. Page 217 discusses a year round training program for masters swimmers and triathletes, broken into training phases, along with example workouts.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last couple of years I’ve raced into November and this has squeezed off season/base aerobic build phases.

Think I paid this year with a succession of niggles and falling back from last 2 years levels.

So:
3 weeks total rest
2 weeks mobilising, easy noodling on bike treadmill and in pool.
Then:
12 weeks:
Trainer Road Tradional base I, II then III on the bike, Barry P runs building from 20mins/40mins/60mins adding 5mins/10mins/15mins every 3 weeks + 3 swims, 2 strength sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
My gym also has a “speed school” that is a separate camp run by a guy working with athletes trying to get more “explosive”. I may look at that and see if it would be worthwhile.

Are you talking about the Parisi school at the Edge by any chance? If so my husband and a few swim buddies did a program with Kyle on Mondays for a few weeks. Strength training for swimming and triathlon.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

This is the method described by Ryan Flaherty. He had a performance academy where nfl prospects would come and work out trying to get faster before the combine. And now he’s director of performance at Nike. He said that lifting up is what strengthens the muscle and builds explosiveness. When you de-load, that’s what tears it and promotes it to grow (and add mass). By dropping it at the top, you get the benefit, but aren’t adding additional bulk.

He was a guest on the Tim Ferris podcast a while ago talking about his methodology.

I've read and heard this, too, and eliminating the eccentric on certain lifts like deadlifts to avoid any muscle hypotrophy (mass/weigh) may make sense . . . for the less than 1% of truly elite endurance types. Seems silly for most average joes to be dropping the bar to avoid "getting jacked," though. I've seen Triathlon Taren doing this, likely becuase he heard the same interview, and it just seems unecessary. Most people would benefit from both parts of the lift. Besides, dropping the bar may lead to imbalances, and maybe a broke toe.

So, stepping off the meathead soap box, my off or post-season has included, so far, a nice dose of well balanced strength training, some higher intensity lower volume running, mountain biking, lower cadence bike trainer work, and I need to get some swim lessons once I get around to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much like the toga party in Animal House.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: What does your offseason training look like? [YellowJacket16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YellowJacket16 wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I've read and heard this, too, and eliminating the eccentric on certain lifts like deadlifts to avoid any muscle hypotrophy (mass/weigh) may make sense . . . for the less than 1% of truly elite endurance types. Seems silly for most average joes to be dropping the bar to avoid "getting jacked," though. I've seen Triathlon Taren doing this, likely becuase he heard the same interview, and it just seems unecessary. Most people would benefit from both parts of the lift. Besides, dropping the bar may lead to imbalances, and maybe a broke toe.

So, stepping off the meathead soap box, my off or post-season has included, so far, a nice dose of well balanced strength training, some higher intensity lower volume running, mountain biking, lower cadence bike trainer work, and I need to get some swim lessons once I get around to it.

I think he may have actually been on Taren’s podcast too talking about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off Season - Post Season

It's the same thing to me, I understand how some people may think differently.

You make points about strength training and lower volume workouts with a focus on speed and form. That's exactly what that plan is to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
No more races for me this year. Not sure yet what I will be doing next year, but I’d like to h e a productive offseason. I have ideas of what I want to do, but not yet how to make a plan:

Swim: lots of technique work to get better catch/pull/body position. Using my underwater camera a lot

Would like to do yoga 1-2x a week

Strength training and mobility. Figure out what exercises are best and how long/often to strength train. Ryan Flaherty says hex bar deadlifts are the best for runners/cyclist types. Dropping the weight at the top. Add squats? Kettlebells? Rowing?

Not sure what kind of run/bike workouts to do and how they should fit in.

What do your offseason plans/workouts/goals look like?

Swim: Agreed and doing the same

Yoga: Nah, I'm not that serious about becoming the best athlete I can be :)

Strength:
1) Don't drop the bar at the top. you're losing half the workout
2) Hex yeah! If you have one great but straight is fine too as long as you do it with correct form. Don't let anyone tell you that straight is more "dangerous"
3) the more important question here is what kind of weight/rep is being recommended? 5 reps at high weight? 15 reps and moderate? 25 at low? idk, when it comes to deadlifting, I always feel low rep, high weight is the best bang for your buck but variability is also great here.
4) Yes add squats! add high box jumps too for explosiveness. As for upper body stuff, idk, you gotta ask a fish but I doubt there are any movements in the gym that can help a swim stroke much

Run: I like to do a lot of hills in the off season

Bike: I like to do a lot of hills in the off season (low RPM)

Nutrition: Once that nog hits the shelves, I'm gaining weight.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Interesting, never heard of this before. I was a bit surprised to see that he was talking in context of sprinters and thought, wouldn't sprinters want to add muscle mass? but idk the first thing about sprinting so I assume I was dead wrong.

However, I also agree with YellowJacket that maybe for the elite sprinters, yes do this but for the amateurs (much less endurance runners!), the benefits of doing the full movement outweigh the need to not build muscle mass. We can use muscle mass which we lose during the in-season endurance training and we are mostly not completely finely tuned to a certain weight and body fat % to maintain.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dedicating 4 months to a BarryP run block, hopefully build to 40 mpw. Keeping the Swim and bike in maintenance mode, 2x a week for each so as not to erode the run gains.

My run stinks and it’s time to get better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No real Off-Season for me, but I train just enough to maintain my "Minimum Daily Endorphin Requirement"

Like I've said before: Endorphin Withdrawal is a terrible thing to experience, and horrible to watch

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My plan this year (Oct-Dec):
  • Key focus: Sheila Taormina's Swim Speed Workouts program (one week in)
  • Loosely follow Sufferfest plan with ~2x week indoors plus cross and mtb rides outside whenever possible
  • Running all easy, on dirt as much possible, slowly ramping mileage once we get into Nov/Dec

Quote Reply

Prev Next