Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What does your TT bike weigh?
Quote | Reply
As a bonified weight weenie (my last weenie bike was a 19 lb cannondale CAAD4 hardtail MTB) I have started a quest to build a sub 16 lb lb TT bike with these restrictions:

Integrated bars, Specialized 250gm saddle (only one that works for me thus far), trispoke front and disc rear.

Right now I'm at 16.75 lbs, I have a plan to get to 15.8.

What is your bike weight/specs? Tips?
Quote Reply
Re: What does your TT bike weigh? [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, its tough giving tricks when i dont know what you already got but....

did you drop the dual pivot brake calipers--go to Cane Creeks or DiaCompe single pivot

Speedplay or SPD-sl pedals

Ti axles on your race wheels

What bars are you using?

ti BB

full Dura Ace drivetrain

could look at going to the Bartol shifting system to drop the front der and the shifter for the f der.

What tires do you have on? Conti Competition's?

Control Tech non QR skewers

What fork are you running? Full carbon steer tube?

those are some places to start

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: What does your TT bike weigh? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have:

HED3 front 700c tubular
Corima disc 700c tubular
Tufo S3 lite tubular tires 22mm
Zipp Ti skewers (85g)
Zipp water bottle holder (35g)

Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero 700c fork

Everything else Dura-Ace with Dura Ace 54t/42t TT rings set (40
gms heavier than normal 39/53's) and a 11-23 DA cassette, and DA bar end shifters

Plan:

Frame - 03 Kestrel Talon SuperLight 57c - 1090 gm
.. aero bladed carbon design, hidden cables, 73.5 seat angle for Slam

Headset - King Devolution - 100 gm
..to bring my 1" fork to my 1-1/8" steer tube

Pedals - Speedplay Zero Ti - 164 gm
.. I use DA SPDR now

Post - USE alien aero, small - 151 gm
.. lightest

Stem - Easton EC70, 80mmx+6 - 135g gm
.. lightest 80mm post made (need 80mm for Slam position)

Aerobar (in shipment right now, hopefully) - HED - 850 gm
.. lightest and most aero bar made, includes levers

Saddle (just upgraded) - Specialized S-Works BG - 250 gm
.. lightest in the BG line, only saddle that works
for me - I have tried SLR, Flite, Koobi, Terry Fly, cant get comfortable
in the aerobars in any other, I used SLR on my MTB no problem but I cant while in the aerobars.

Brakes: CAT-USA, 160gm pr. .. lightest and most aero

[b][u]est: 16.5 lbs
[/u][/b]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt S22 bike - what dreams are made of!
Easton EC-70 seatpost
Speedplay pedals
Ksyrium SSC XL wheelset
Conti tires

The most important part:

Legs, lungs, and technique.

Slow down or Go Around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should look at the new Yaqui DL frameset. Probably just as light and just as aero as the Kestrel SL. I think they have a complete DL in at 15lbs, but it is a size 53.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Litespeed Saber (55) weighs in under 15lbs. Some things that got the weight down are:

FSA Carbon Pro cranks (53-39)

Alien post

Modified Dia compe brake levers. I cut off about 2 inches off the ends. I think Nytro markets thier own light brake levers. Looks like modified Dia comps also. Also cut off about 2in off syntace bar ends.

I also ran Falcon Accell II disc. Weighs in at under 700 grams!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Light bikes are good if you're racing up the Alps and can't get any more weight off your body. Seems I read somewhere that a five lb lighter bike will give you something around five seconds over 40 kms on a flat terrain.

To answer your question, my TCR is around 17 or 18 lbs. The P2K is probably a lb or two heavier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I respect your quest for a light bike because it can be fun and interesting to pursue such things, but I'm not concerned about the weight of my bike until I get my body fat percentage down around 8%. That said, I'm a bit frustrated with my Cervelo P2 time trial bike right now because I could only find a veritable boat anchor for a fork locally in 650c size, the QR/Kinesis Illuminaero. The damn thing weighs almost as much as the bike frame and makes an awful ping noise when it hits bumps.

For a 40 km. time trial I'll use a full Jetstream and one additional water bottle. That's got to add at least a kilo to the bike's weight. Bike weight alone can be deceptive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lose one pound, that'll be cheaper :-)

elsewhere, drill the frame (that will be more expensive on the long run...)

Honestly, you have a disc and a trispoke which implies you are not going to TT on a mountain stage anytime soon, so 16 or 19lbs does not matter whatsover.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your TT bike weigh? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have TT wheels for mountainous courses as well, Spinergy Xaero Lites, 1540 gms
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know weight really doesnt matter when it comes to tri performance, but do what makes you happy.

So heres some ideas based on what you got planned:

drop the zipp skewers and get the control tech non QR, you wanna lose 1/2 lb-3/4 lb and a lb is 454 grams---the non QR will give a reduction of like 40+ gms.

get rid of your heavy DA cranks

do the HED3s have ti axles----you can pick these up pretty cheap on bicycles marketplace newsgroup from kristan roberge, i have.

every bolt needs to be ti, like if the stem doesnt come with them, top cap, seat post, etc. you can contact srp-racing and they can provide you with any ti bolt you need practically, just give them the size you need.

ti BB will lighten you up a bit too.

Theres a 13 gram bottle cage on EBAY right now---you can get away with almost 3 for the weight of your zipp.

What bike computer are you using? If you use a polar bike computer, you get away with two for one---and it doesnt "weigh" your bike down as much as a normal pc.

Dont pad the ends of your aerobars, really its not necessary. Heck dont pad the pursuit bars either, wear thicker gel gloves in training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey have you seen this stem: http://cgi.ebay.com/...9&category=22694

it is 90mm, but its 124 gms. This is an OS stem, they may have a reg sized stem though?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Giant TCR weights 19 Lbs ...

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for sanity, I weighed my bike a while back so I could input the weight into the computrainer. The bike was ready to ride but without water bottles. It seemed like it was in the 28 lbs range. Trek A1000 road bike converted to TT.

For the good news, while I was adjusting the der. this weekend I cut off a few inches from the cables. That's got to help on the weight.
Quote Reply
Crank weight [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have I run the numbers correctly? It seems that I have tried to compare Dura Ace cranks to various competitors and that the weights always come within a few grams of each other.

How much weight can you save by "getting rid of the heave DA cranks" and what do you substitute?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't weigh any of my bikes but I know they are all resonably light. I am mindful of wheel, pedal and handlebar weight but not too concerned about much else.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What does your TT bike weigh? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I know is, my bike weighs about 10% of what I weigh. So it only makes sense that I spend much more on food than on bike parts :-)

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary, didn't you used to ride a Renn? What happenned to it? Did you give it up due to weight, or some other reason?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kestrel km40 - dura ace, syntace, and zipp 901 19lbs 2 oz

not tt but road, just built it so...

caad 7 - dura ace, ksyrium elites 16 lbs 12 oz w/o pedals
Quote Reply
Re: What does your TT bike weigh? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went with Corima and sold the Renn, Renn performance was great but I got a smokin deal on a Corima
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer to drop pounds the natural way. Try a tape worm. Nothing more natural than dropping a few poinds when you have a tape worm.

Cheap too.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting quest - more importantly what is the 40k TT time you are aiming for and what is your plan to get there? Without a good plan and race execution, the bike might as well weigh 29lbs - as it won't make much difference.

MR

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank weight [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote: "Have I run the numbers correctly? It seems that I have tried to compare Dura Ace cranks to various competitors and that the weights always come within a few grams of each other.

How much weight can you save by "getting rid of the heave DA cranks" and what do you substitute?
Art Franke

Yeah so FSA's full crankset with rings is 555grams, Carbonlords cranks are 420gms (no rings) shimano rings 53/39 weigh 128gms so that'd be 548 gms, Shimano hollowtech DA crankset is 594gms (heavier and i bet their not as stiff).

50gms isnt a lot but they guy only wants to lose like 270gms anyway, so thats 20% of his weight loss right there.

I recently took off 6800 gms (15lbs) from my body, by eating more healthyfully, larger b.fasts and smaller dinners and drinking more water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey there check out these carbon bottle cages:

http://www.b-t-p.de/.../bottle-holders.html

Quote Reply
FSA weight [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only weight numbers I have seen on FSA cranks say it weights 575 with rings. That is only 20 grams lighter than the Shimano spec. 20 grams out of 575 is within the misleading spec margin of exaggeration, uh, I mean margin of error.

I am not familiar with Carbonlord at all.

I do like the idea of losing 5000 or so grams out my midsection though.

Let me know if I am off on the numbers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next