Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you think about the bicycle blue book?
Quote | Reply
So I am trying to sell my speed concept from 2014, and I listed it for $1800 (not on slowtwitch yet, but it will be soon). Decent condition, shimano ultegra 11 speed, all stock components. Price was based roughly on what I was seeing on ebay/pinkbike/etc. Prospective buyer came back saying he would pay $1200 based upon a website called the bicycle blue book. I hadn't heard of it, so I checked it out, and to my surprise, that is what it said it was worth. What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think about the bicycle blue book? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
So I am trying to sell my speed concept from 2014, and I listed it for $1800 (not on slowtwitch yet, but it will be soon). Decent condition, shimano ultegra 11 speed, all stock components. Price was based roughly on what I was seeing on ebay/pinkbike/etc. Prospective buyer came back saying he would pay $1200 based upon a website called the bicycle blue book. I hadn't heard of it, so I checked it out, and to my surprise, that is what it said it was worth. What are your thoughts on it?

I usually look at BBB, some people think it only favors dealers because that's the "trade-in" value or whatever. But when someone tries to sell their "barely ridden" three year old P2 for $150 off sticker they can piss off as BBB is way closer to value than their idea. Most "barely ridden" bikes in my experience are just cleaned and lubed rather than "barely ridden".

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think about the bicycle blue book? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently (last 12 months) sold 3 bikes we had that were not getting ridden.

I pulled my asking prices right of the Bicycle Blue Book website. Each bikes sold within a couple weeks for my asking price.

But, I am in Canada, where as a country we've decided that when it comes to selling something used we're going to try to wring every last dime out of it to make the buying and selling experience as awkward and uncomfortable for everyone involved. So if you sell something and ask a reasonable price, it moves pretty quick, and I felt the BBB prices were pretty fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I sell bikes I price it based on similar sale results and listings from other sites, never BBB. It is always significantly lower. Ocassionally someone will counter with a BBB offer and I just politely decline. Eventually the bike seems at or near my asking price. If you’re patient you can get your price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on which speed concept it is, it's condition, how much work to get it to "race ready"

Were the Ebay prices you saw the sold prices or what people were asking?

When you can buy a brand new P2 or similar in the low $2K range, the $1800 of a bike with four seasons on it doesn't look appealing.

With that said, provided your bike is in excellent condition, $1200 is too low of a price to let it go for.

Give us the exact model of the bike and any modifications so someone here can make an appraisal.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think about the bicycle blue book? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish people would sell bikes for anything like the Blue Book value here in Germany.
People generally have a 3,000€ bike and try to sell it 4 years later for 2,000€!

I am in a used bike triathlon group on facebook and people often have to point out that you can buy it new for less than the price that they have listed the bike 2nd hand!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently sold 2 bikes (within last 3 months). Both were countered with BBB values. I told them both were too low. Sold one for 1900 when BBB said 1400. Other sold for 1100 when it said 800. Realistically the second bike was close as it was a few years old. It took a bit longer to sell. The first was barely a year old and in near perfect condition and sold in like a week. So from those experiences and one previous years ago, I think BBB is low....at least in my area (think that's important too). I also didn't absolutely need to sell immediately and was willing to wait through lowball offers.

Also, people complain about crazy list prices, but you have to factor in the "every one wants a good deal" side of it. I work in sales (kind of) and deal with it constantly. People want to see the price come down for them. I realize my list price is high. But damn near everyone tries to come in 500 under what list is no matter what list is. Sometimes using BBB to justify, sometimes just randomly. Got to start somewhere and I'd rather it favor me, unless I just need to get rid of it. Slowly lower until I get emails and then haggle from there. But again, I've always had time.
Last edited by: KG6: Jul 17, 18 3:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:

Do you have it in the car industry in the US?

In the UK it's the standard starting point for pricing a used car and has been for yonks.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think about the bicycle blue book? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always thought it was low too and favored a buyer, but I just looked up my bike (2014 CD0.1 di2) and it had it between 1500-1600 in excellent condition. I wouldn't say it's in excellent condition. I've ridden it hard the past 4 years but I change the tires/chain/cassette/chainrings as needed and I think if I sold it I'd probably start in the 1800-2000 range and could get that if I waited a month or two so it's not too far off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely disregard and do not reference BBB. I question the credibility and methodology in evaluating bikes. They have no authority whatsoever nor reputation like KBB. They grossly undervalue bikes. When you attempt to click on listing for a particular bike to see what the actual bikes of that kind are selling currently, it always comes up empty. Absolutely zero credibility. Will not use them. When a prospective buyer mentions it to me, I stop dealing with that person. I refuse to engage in conversation about the price and the sale is off. BBB is not credible.
Quote Reply