Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do you do for a living.....
Quote | Reply
......other than train and rant on slowtwitch. As a recent college grad, and high school teaher still wavering on career path, I'm curious as to what jobs allow you all to pursue your love of triathlon. Apart from being a physically tasking sport, triathlon is pretty damn expensive and time consuming. What kind of jobs are most people working that allow them the financial flexibility and time for training/racing?

Also out of curiosity, about how much of your income would you say goes to supporting this lifestyle (equipment, travel, race fees, divorce lawyers, etc.)?
Last edited by: msaad7: Jun 26, 13 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Project management in the oil and gas industry.

Working projects has an interesting impact on my hobbies. We have frenetic periods that result in very long days and weeks where I'll miss training and never log on to ST. Then we have lulls where I have plenty of time to waste here and get my workouts in. It makes consistent training difficult, but overall it fits pretty well with an active lifestyle. Too many hours at a desk, but I think most jobs are similar.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually they are not that expensive once you have a bike, wetsuit and do grass root races insted of the M-Dot. I work as director of Adullam House. Achristian faith based house for men transitioning off of drugs, prison ect. We have up to 10 guys living with me and my wife at any given time. Its unpaid, we were hoping for doanations but in a year it has not happened. We have a mix of violent offenders, run of the mill thieves ect..
I have a bike for years. Have not bought anything new except tires for many years. My wetsuit is over ten years old. I do not do M-Dot races. Drive to local a spend a night and drive back. It can be done on the cheap.......Its my release from stress because my schedule is flexable When I say cheap, my wife makes about 35k a year what we live on for both.......I do not pay housing though
Last edited by: Kenney: Jun 26, 13 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
......other than train and rant on slowtwitch. As a recent college grad, and high school teaher still wavering on career path, I'm curious as to what jobs allow you all to pursue your love of triathlon. Apart from being a physically tasking sport, triathlon is pretty damn expensive and time consuming. What kind of jobs are most people working that allow them the financial flexibility and time for training/racing?

I'm a physicist (for the time being) -- being in academia doesn't pay all that well at my (postdoctoral) level, but it does allow plenty of flexibility. But of course that flexibility goes both ways, because sometimes I need to be in the lab at 3AM filling liquid helium or away from home for 3 months in Antarctica, which obviously would (and did) interfere with training.

That said, triathlon doesn't have to be THAT expensive. My wetsuit cost $160. A pair of shoes is $100ish; depending on how often you replace them that might be a few hundred bucks a year. Tri kit, maybe $200? The bike is really where things start to add up. I probably have about $3K into my bike (a Cannondale Slice with mostly used/ebay parts and FLO wheels plus a disc cover), but one could probably get something reasonable for half to 2/3 that.

Even so, if I've spent $4-5K over the past 3-4 years...that's not so bad for a hobby. Then again, I also never plan to do an IM or even HIM-length event, and I will never do an event that I have to fly to. It's just not that important to me.
Last edited by: asad137: Jun 26, 13 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used car salesman... been doing it since I was in high school. Fixed Schedule, good pay (usually) and lots of downtime to play on slowtwitch (and hey, I get to drive some badass cars every now and then)

My dream is to be a trophy husband though.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a middle school history teacher. I also work at the local bike shop. The bike shop is a great side job. I have bikes and wheels I other wise could not afford.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nurse in Health Care Sales & Marketing

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I graduated with a PhD in Chemistry about a year ago and am now an R&D Chemist for a specialty chemicals company where I have my own lab. Very flexible hours, which allows me to do 2-a-days even though I typically end up ~50 hours a week at work; I can typically get in a morning workout if I don't have morning meetings, and duck out at lunch for a run or bike workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Academic coordinator at a medical school. We're a big institution, so there are some inflexible rules that really limit my options. If you're salaried (an "exempt" employee) and come to work but have to leave for any reason, you don't get docked for sick or vacation time. However, that can't happen on a regular basis without getting in trouble. I requested permission to work shorter days once in a while when I was training for IMTX - I offered to used vacation time and still make up the work in the evenings, but it's against the rules. The only thing that saves me is that I've worked here for 25+ years and have a ton of vacation. I'll burn vacation days just so I can stay home - even if I end up working most of the day, it saves me an hour+ commute each way and lets me get in some extra rest and/or training.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [cloesch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economics Professor and independent consultant to banks and FDIC.

Quote | Reply
Master in Exercise Physiology and is working as head-coach at the largest triatlon club in Denmark, Europe (TRI4) as part time, were we are developing the training culture. Alongside this i'm teaching in exercise physiology and working as a personal coach for a few runners and triatletes.

Despite working with atlethes and coaches, and having a very flexibel scedule, it is sometimes challeging to find the time for ones training.

im happy though :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished college and now work at an architecture office (architects don't make too much money unless your really high up). It's tough to get training in and still have a social life so there's many nights when I skip out with the social life and just train. In terms of paying for gear I buy used stuff like jerseys and helmets but the other gear like bikes and wetsuits I buy new. It's all about budgeting especially with college loans to pay so I make sure I have a tri/bike budget within my spending (bike is by far the most expensive). Other than that it's just about making time to train and making sacrifices.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [hofo30] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is the bike shop just a weekend gig or do you somehow stretch the typical teacher workday to work during the school week?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
Used car salesman... been doing it since I was in high school. Fixed Schedule, good pay (usually) and lots of downtime to play on slowtwitch (and hey, I get to drive some badass cars every now and then)

My dream is to be a trophy husband though.

I am a trophy husband. It's a good gig.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teacher for gifted students at the high school level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an algorithmic trader. Whatever that is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Data warehouse engineer in online sports betting.

The best part, I get to watch live sports while I work. So, essentially, I get paid to watch TdF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Retired Union Carpenter form NYC. I loved going to work in the City everyday, even when I had to get up at 3:45 to get on the train to the World Trade Center for the last two years of my working career. Now this is just awesome, I get my pension, my SSI and my wife and I saved well so she's retired too at 55. Live is great!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surgical sales; my income fluctuates, but I'm north of 50k but less than 75k/yr. I'm relatively new to the field and don't make a lot compared to other guys in the industry, but with no kids and no wife (yet), I'm doing just fine.

I spend a lot of time on the road, but I've learned to adapt by bringing my gear along with me and finding spots to train. Working in surgery has me up early a lot of mornings anyway, so my prime training time is afternoons/evenings. I'll be the first to admit that I don't eat, sleep, breathe, and live triathlon; I enjoy having a life outside of training. I race 4-5 tris a year (plus a handful of road races), and I always stay close to home; farthest I'm traveling this year is to Muncie from Louisville.

If I had to estimate, I would say that I spend somewhere north of $1k, but definitely not more than $2k to support the lifestyle. That includes registrations, gas, nutrition, bike maintenance, etc... I spend very little on "gear," as I already have all the necessities, and I buy on the cheap, usually used stuff. It's still killing me to drop $650 on IMKY. Speaking of which, I should probably get on that, haha...

As a recent college grad as well, I can say with confidence that triathlon doesn't have to be all that expensive. There are plenty of shortcuts and at the end of the day, you biggest gains will come from training harder/smarter/longer over buying another piece of gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the Army. Physical fitness is part of the job and it's easy for me to take a long lunch and get another workout in. We also get quite a few long weekends and that is when I try to squeeze in my longer rides. I typically set aside money during my deployments to purchase the higher priced items in our sport. Many races offer a military discount (Leadman Epic 250 is $75 for military vs. the standard $300 fee) and that is how I can afford to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a senior manager in a fortune 1000 manufacturing company. BS in Education, MBA. I'm also retired Navy. Last year I didn't quite break 6 digits times 2, maybe this year.

I could not have participated in the sport while I was active duty - too little income and time. Now I can easily afford for my wife and I to do what we want, but my job still dictates my life.

Of course, I shouldn't even being doing triathlons since I'm well over 40 and under 60.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [quadomatic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After getting my pharmacy practice degree, Phd In pharm Sci, and a 1 year post-doc working on protein therapeutics, I finally settled on community pharmacist. It's a double edge sword becasue I work 13h days. I get either 3 or 4 days off a week so I have plenty of time to train on those days but on the days I work I'm either out the door at 5am to run or I do it when I get home at 9pm so it really takes some motivation on those days esp when work's been rough

Based on household income, only a small bit really goes to my running mostly because we mostly do local races that only requires at most a night in a moderately priced hotel. Though I did do Boston this year and that was quite the price tag when it was all said and done. I don't do many tris so I'm not in a bike/wetsuit arms race and I race on mid 200x specialized S-works road bike. Really, shoes are my main expense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Semi-retired business owner. My company manufactured specialty panels and doors. Work M, T & W....off Th, F, S, Su. Wife is also semi-retired and works the same days. With both incomes we are well over 6 figures but with 2 daughters still struggling to get their careers started, there is not much left for Tri toys. Wife runs HMs. We probably spend $2k each year traveling to HIMs and HMs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High School Teacher and Coach. Summers are real nice for training and trolling ST. During the school year is tough with coaching 3 sports. Real early swims, real late runs, and usually a longish ride on the weekends.

Most of my tri's are summer races with an occasional early fall Triathlon. If I race during the school year it's usually just a half marathon.

$$$ wise, I'm a teacher so I limit my racing and new equipment purchases. I'm pretty unnoticeable at a race with my equipment. No race wheels, pretty decent helmet (not aero), and looking to invest in a Power Meter for next season.

(insert inspirational/witty/comical signature here)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corporate and tax lawyer. Flexible hours, have my own practice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next