Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you count as "training"?
Quote | Reply
After many years of not keeping track of my training I have been using the slowtwitch log as a 100/100 participant.

There are a lot of different activities that you can choose from. I train in martial arts a few times each week but never count anything other than swim bike run in my weekly hours. What additional workouts do you count and why?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you count as "training"? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I add in skiing and hockey. Both can really wreck my legs so my coach at least has an idea of what is going on if I’m dragging for a couple days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I add in weights, paddling, kayaking, along with treadmill and indoor cycling to go with the big 3..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I add in anything that I think might affect my SBR or recovery in the next day or two. Usually that means something that makes me sweat for 30+ minutes and/or feel tired after.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you count as "training"? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I add in anything that I think might affect my SBR or recovery in the next day or two.

This. For me it’s weights, kayaking, XC skiing, and hard hikes. And rock climbing when I used to do that

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of what I log, it's pretty much anything that's more vigorous than a walk (and I've got a few walks on Strava as well when we've headed off for some more epic walks and I was kind of interested in what sort of distance and elevation we were doing). Also record things like downhill skiing, as find it interesting to be able to look back at where I've been, total elevation, etc. Though the top speeds seem to be fairly meaningless.

In terms of what I count as "training", it's just SBR and strength training (which is pretty minimal when I'm training for a triathlon, maybe 30-60 minutes/week maintenance). Nice thing about logging data as different activities is it makes it pretty easy to filter down to the activities you actually want to track and analyse. Tracking TSS is more meaningful in terms of fitness and recovery anyway. I also find the HRV4training app to be extremely useful for monitoring my recovery. Found it really good for picking up the impact of non-SBR training stress, from long haul flights to disrupted sleep, illness and hangovers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything I post on Strava I consider to be training. That includes ski days and strength training sessions. Anything that breaks a sweat. I don't consider walking the dog training!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: What do you count as "training"? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I add in anything that I think might affect my SBR or recovery in the next day or two. Usually that means something that makes me sweat for 30+ minutes and/or feel tired after.

Agreed. It also lets me know if I feel good for a workout or a stretch of workouts, what else worked to my advantage to get me there. This can include weights, prehab/core work, yoga, long walks/hikes, etc.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: What do you count as "training"? [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I count sexual intercourses. These are very complete workouts (muscular endurance, core training, cardio-vascular conditioning...).

During the week, I'd label them fartleks or progressive workouts. I've tried to implement some HIIT stuff but my girlfriends usually find it to be too "scientific", and don't like it when I change pace every 30 seconds to the bip of my Garmin instead of listening to their demands. The chest strap and the compression socks seem to annoy them as well, I would'nt recommend those items.

The sunday workout is the long hard one, with an emphasis on position(s) and nutrition (melted chocolate, strawberries, even sushis, I test my gut resilience a lot). I sometimes join a group ride, as we tend to forget the social aspect of this wonderful activity, but I use it sparingly because you have to concentrate on your own training needs. You don't want to be forced into things you didn't planned, especially with stronger guys than yourself.

I rarely conclude a workout without a big sprint as it seems to release so much endorphins afterwards.

I keep one day per week for recovery, where my GFs stay on top for the total duration of the workout, allowing me to just relax and let the blood flow nicely.

Most of my workouts are indoors, because they require less planning, but I like some outdoor training when the weather and the views are nice and quiet.

It's hard to figure an average, as I regularly schedule sex weeks where I reach 20+ hours, but I guess it adds at least 5 hours to my weekly schedule. In fact, it doubles it, when I don't have time for the saturday long ride. Which is usually because of an unplanned sex workout (I know, I might do some junk miles in that activity).
Last edited by: tof: Jan 14, 19 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a snow run/shoveling brick this weekend. :) It was a pretty wet snow and my heart rate stayed high zone1/low 2 most of the time. I was already cold. So, had to get it done quickly! Training Peaks even gave me 22 TSS points.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I count anything that I'm wearing clothes designed for training to do, e.g., cycling apparel, yoga clothes for actual yoga (versus athleisure for hanging out on weekends or work-from-home days). That means I don't count things like my bike commute (4.5 miles each way), shoveling snow, painting any room in the house, long walks, etc., if done in regular clothes. If it's particularly strenuous (such as when I moved and painted the whole entire new house in 3 days) I'll add a note about it to one of my regularly scheduled workouts so coach knows about extra stress the body is under. The other exception was a meters challenge I was in recently, during which I used my garmin to track my bike commutes and upload to training peaks.
Quote Reply