Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC)
Quote | Reply
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/rk1PbAi" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/rk1PbAi"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Please help me save time and money! This is my first road bike that I bought as a teenager and I would like to turn it into a single speed commuter beater. I don't know anything about what stuff I need to make it work as a single speed. I know I need to get some spokes and learn how to fix the wheels for the bike, need tires, brake cables, tubes, tires, chain. I have flat pedals that I assume will feel wonderful to use.

But for the conversion... WTH do I need? I want to ride the bike in a hilly city environment. The crank thats on the bike use to be a triple. I don't know where the granny ring went. So I have a 42/52 on it now. Which one should I use? What size should the rear ring be? Is there one kit I should get? Separate items? Do I need to get a new ring in the front? Whats a good ratio for what I'm after?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC) [trichris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://ibb.co/vstFDWP

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poCCp8W3j][/url]

[/url][/img]

Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC) [trichris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sheldon Brown still has some good info

The big things you are going to have figure out
- Spacing
- Chainline
- Chain Tension
- Gear ratio
- Fixed or SS

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend just converted his old MTB into a SS with the Forte conversion kit:

https://www.performancebike.com/...6550-non-non/p920916

Has 3 different rear cogs that you could probably experiment with to figure out the best option for your commute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to go the cheapest possible route, you can use on cog of an old cassette and extra cassette spacers. Put the single cog as close to directly in line with your 42t front ring as possible (so chainline will be straight) with your extra cassette spacers on either side of the cog to fill up all the extra space that the other cogs would have taken.

Then you can adjust the high and low limit of your rear derailleur so that the derailleur cage can only align with your single rear cog.

Cut the chain to the right size so that it wraps around your 42t ring, your rear cog, and the rear derailleur with enough tension on the derailleur to hold the chain in place.

Ride.

This cheap route will allow you to play with different gear ratios easily (just use different cogs from your original cassette). Once you find the gear ratio you like, spend $30-$40 to buy a real single speed cog, and then a narrow wide front ring. Then you can also look into essentric bottom bracket (not sure if one is made for that cannondale) that can help tension your chain without the use of a rear derailleur or similar spring device.

The amount of money you spend on this can balance out the amount of enjoyment you have when you ride it the cheap way. If you hate single speeds after you spend $0, then no need to spend any more. If you’re having a blast, throw $200 into it to build it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...b_P7113597/#p7113597

This is what you need. Let me know if you have any questions.

Whlie this is setup for fixed, you can grab a single speed setup from White Industries.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Jun 29, 20 14:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I converted a Cervelo P2 SL into a single speed, and in my somewhat hilly neighborhood where I ride it to work and for fun, I put a 46/17 on it and it works well enough. The other posts with parts are a good place to start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I would initially ride it as is in the 42 x whatever cog on the cassette you think might work. Don't shift. Boom, instant singlespeed. If that cog doesn't work, try a different one, etc until you have a combo that seems to work most of the time. Then at that point, actually get the stuff to be a singlespeed.

This is a nifty gear calculator that will let you play around and see the gear inches. So for example, it could show you that maybe 42x18 and 40x17 would yield the same gear inches, for example.
http://gear-calculator.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cheapest route is shift to the gear of your preference and then don’t use your shifters!
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC) [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
The cheapest route is shift to the gear of your preference and then don’t use your shifters!
I was about to say a set of pliers to cut your gear cables should do the trick...
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me at an old-school bike shop 10 years ago: "How can I [lots of questions about spacers and hubs]..."

Wrench [death stare]: "Just don't shift."

I swear, if I had replied I would have been banned from the shop.

In all seriousness, I just took stuff off (f brake/cable, one chain ring, shifter cables and derailleurs), really, and kept the regular cassette in the back, shortened the chain and put it in the gear I wanted.

Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC) [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sell single speed rear hub kits on Ebay and amazon. Just would have to buy the kit for #speeds you started with on the hub. They usually list the original # gears the kit was made for. Then, I'd personally buy a 1x front ring and a used 2x crank in a common 5x100 or 5x130 bcd. The 5x130bcd would be more common for 1x rings.

I found some kits on amazon just now for $20 for the rear. Ebay, probably about $35 or so for a used 2x crank. Research what bike it is and what crank they used on the 2x models. They usually sold a 2x bike and a triple using the same framesets, just look it up. Then probably about $40 for a nice front 1x ring. About $30 for a nice new chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How will you fix a flat on the side of the road? I'm assuming the tire clearance isn't all that great.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to make bike into single gear? (PIC) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

I was about to say a set of pliers to cut your gear cables should do the trick...

Wire cutters, not pliers [unless your pliers also have those little snippers on them]

And, not necessarily ... I had a cable come undone in the middle of a race [don't ask me how], and my RD sprung itself to the smallest cog, so I was stuck with 2x1

Not fun

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply