Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done concept 2 rowing on and off for years. For me it was always a great great complementary workout. I always felt that my cycling improved when added some C2 workouts to my training regimen.
After a long layoff, I’ve gotten back into rowing. I bought my own C2 for home use. They are relatively inexpensive considering the quality.
I chose to buy the C2 Dynamic version which puts less strain on the lower back and is supposed to simulate rowing on the water much better.
The C2 website is very good. There is a training forum full of advice on technique and everything.
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/dynamic
Last edited by: Dreadnought: Apr 22, 18 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Maybe I should just cap things at >2:15 per 500m speed and stay firmly in 'rehab mode' which was the entire point? It just seems like your back should get stronger as you do more as long as you do it correctly? I am assuming it is one of these things that could be great for rehab if you stay in control and do it properly, and great for destroying things if you go too hard, and collapse to poor lumbar form and put too much load on there before you have the strength to deal with it?

Swimming has been excellent. Honestly, I am certain if I did not have swimming, I'd have been in a wheelchair or on crutches. My crutches sit quietly in my workout room and I hope to have them never more from that spot again, but I don't trust myself enough to actually throw them away!!!!

Dev - You may have said before but i've forgotten: do you do flip turns??? I think they are great to keep the back flexible. I fractured my L1 vertebra about 22 yrs ago in a bike wreck and swimming with flip turns allowed me to regain the lost flexibility. The good thing was that since i had been a swimmer doing flip turns for about 20 yrs before that crash, my turns were very well grooved and came back very fast, albeit just very painful at first. After about a year, no pain at all during flip turns. Over the past 21 yrs since i felt fully recovered, the back has been great and only hurts if i don't swim, which is rare since i love it the best. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following up on this one:

Video of Rob Waddell winning the 1x at Sydney Olympics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_driUavFig - you can see his knees pop straight up once he's finished the drive - the release I _think_ speedyturtle is talking about.

Two excellent scullers in this video: Xeno Muller, who won the 1x at Atlanta is the sculler Rob is beating. Xeno is probably more of a technical ideal (although he was struggling at this point with a fairly nasty virus), but Rob is one of the greatest physical animals ever in rowing (and rows like a God anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still doing open ended turns. I really should get back to flip turns. I think I should be fine...mine are so bad through, that open ended is way faster. Having said that I won't get beyond bad without practicing!
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Just for fun - Here's the lighweight 2x final from the 2012 Olympics. The A final start is at 38:50 and this link should start there:

The British rowers are pretty exemplary. Bow seat shoots his ass a tiny bit (at the catch his butt starts moving back a bit faster than his hands)... more so in the last 15 strokes. But generally they are a great example. Their start is a work of art.

The Danes have better connection at the front end and are also a great example. Their stroke seat "dumps" a bit at the finish causing some bouncing in the boat... or maybe just trying to get some more length through more layback to match his taller boatmate.

Pretty exciting finish.

OK OK....all this talk about rowing being 'all legs', I know what you guys mean in that the drive comes from the legs, but the connection comed from holding the upper body statically taught while the legs are driving really does work the upper body well. I have not seen a single elite rower that looks like Froome or Quintana. I think my transition to rowing has been nicely enabled by transforming myself from a pencil neck Ironman geek to a 100K per month swimmer over the last 2 years. I am optimistic that with all this swimming and rowing, if I can get this nerve thing sorted out, I can go into Cam Wurf mode on the bike LOL!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Just for fun - Here's the lightweight 2x final from the 2012 Olympics. The A final start is at 38:50 and this link should start there:

The British rowers are pretty exemplary. Bow seat shoots his ass a tiny bit (at the catch his butt starts moving back a bit faster than his hands)... more so in the last 15 strokes. But generally they are a great example. Their start is a work of art.
The Danes have better connection at the front end and are also a great example. Their stroke seat "dumps" a bit at the finish causing some bouncing in the boat... or maybe just trying to get some more length through more layback to match his taller boatmate.
Pretty exciting finish.

OK OK....all this talk about rowing being 'all legs', I know what you guys mean in that the drive comes from the legs, but the connection comes from holding the upper body statically taught while the legs are driving really does work the upper body well. I have not seen a single elite rower that looks like Froome or Quintana. I think my transition to rowing has been nicely enabled by transforming myself from a pencil neck Ironman geek to a 100K per month swimmer over the last 2 years. I am optimistic that with all this swimming and rowing, if I can get this nerve thing sorted out, I can go into Cam Wurf mode on the bike LOL!!!

Exactly, it appears to me that virtually all rowers have well developed upper bodies, similar to swimmers but maybe with somewhat diff features. Rowing may be 85% legs but i can't see how you could say "all" as that would imply 100%. Perhaps the rowers on here are purposely overemphasizing the legs b/c too many rowers try to muscle it out with arms??? What say ye, rowers of ST???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Exactly, it appears to me that virtually all rowers have well developed upper bodies, similar to swimmers but maybe with somewhat diff features. Rowing may be 85% legs but i can't see how you could say "all" as that would imply 100%. Perhaps the rowers on here are purposely overemphasizing the legs b/c too many rowers try to muscle it out with arms??? What say ye, rowers of ST???

There's a lot of truth in that. Natural tendency of most non-rowers when they first get in a boat or on an erg is to use far too much upper body force. Partly because that's what they think rowing is all about, partly because they simply don't have the technique to engage the legs early - particularly in a real boat when you've got to get the blade in the water before you can start applying useful force, and novices tend to take anything up to half the stroke to actually get the blade fully in the water. So a lot of early rowing coaching is about emphasising the role of the legs. It's also interesting to note that in my experience women tend to learn good rowing technique far more quickly than men, because they typically have a lot less upper body strength and so start learning how to use their legs effectively much more quickly rather than trying to muscle the boat along.

All that said, effective rowing really is about getting the most out of your leg drive. The leg drive comes before your upper body is doing anything, and you can apply something like 3x the force with the legs than you can with the upper body. So it's the legs that really accelerate the boat, by the time you're getting towards the end of the leg drive you certainly can't generate any more force with your upper body, you're really just trying to keep the drive going. You do still need a strong upper body, particularly the core, to effectively transfer that leg drive, and to finish off the stroke, so you're not going to see Froome or Quintana type body shapes in rowing. Olympic heavyweight rowers are often pretty heavily muscled as outright power trumps power to weight over that distance. But if you look at lightweight rowers where every kg counts they don't have particularly big upper bodies (though if you see pictures of them while they're rowing they tend to look pretty stacked as every muscle is working and they also have very low body fat).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
[

Think of it this way, the legs provide the 'movement and power' and the arms and torso are a linkage to the handle.

Because the legs are so strong the arms and torso have to match that to be able to effectively transfer the force without loss.

So in terms of muscular development the arms and torso are very important, but in terms of 'providing the power for the stroke', that comes from the legs.

Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

There's a lot of truth in that. Natural tendency of most non-rowers when they first get in a boat or on an erg is to use far too much upper body force. Partly because that's what they think rowing is all about, partly because they simply don't have the technique to engage the legs early - particularly in a real boat when you've got to get the blade in the water before you can start applying useful force, and novices tend to take anything up to half the stroke to actually get the blade fully in the water. So a lot of early rowing coaching is about emphasising the role of the legs. It's also interesting to note that in my experience women tend to learn good rowing technique far more quickly than men, because they typically have a lot less upper body strength and so start learning how to use their legs effectively much more quickly rather than trying to muscle the boat along.

All that said, effective rowing really is about getting the most out of your leg drive. The leg drive comes before your upper body is doing anything, and you can apply something like 3x the force with the legs than you can with the upper body. So it's the legs that really accelerate the boat, by the time you're getting towards the end of the leg drive you certainly can't generate any more force with your upper body, you're really just trying to keep the drive going. You do still need a strong upper body, particularly the core, to effectively transfer that leg drive, and to finish off the stroke, so you're not going to see Froome or Quintana type body shapes in rowing. Olympic heavyweight rowers are often pretty heavily muscled as outright power trumps power to weight over that distance. But if you look at lightweight rowers where every kg counts they don't have particularly big upper bodies (though if you see pictures of them while they're rowing they tend to look pretty stacked as every muscle is working and they also have very low body fat).

Before I got on the erg, I had watched some videos, so I knew the drive had to come from the legs, but until I started this thread and all you guys chimed in explaining the feel and timing, I was not getting it. Soon I was getting a lower body workout, but I did not feel like my upper body was working that hard. I was sliding early before a hard linkage to the "oar". Then I started getting the linkage and started to feel this static loading of the entire core and upper body chain. Interestingly even though I was on 100K per month of swimming for the last 2 years, my upper body got a bit bigger during the last 6 weeks from rowing. I think the force per stroke is generally higher than swimming. Likewise on the legs. My quads and glutes got a bit bigger (or I just got fatter and everything inflated LOL).

But perhaps the best way of explaining the "load" in rowing is doing light dead lifts and continuing once the legs are locked, into an upward row where hands just come past belly button vs staying below (I am talking about the dealift)....in this case, almost everything is from the legs but the upper body is hanging onto the barbell with a short tug at the top using the momentum to the barbell delivered by the legs. In this case it would be mainly a leg exercise with some upper body component. If you did this with heavy enough weight, the upper body would have a decent amount of loading....so definitely no Froome/Quintana leg only effort!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
But perhaps the best way of explaining the "load" in rowing is doing light dead lifts and continuing once the legs are locked, into an upward row where hands just come past belly button
Move the bar vertically to your chin. The last 15cm are “free”, as they come from momentum. Also, don’t lock your legs. You’ll blow out your lumbar discs.

If you’re only moving the bar to your belly button, then you’re not finishing the rowing stroke; your stopping at half-arm-break. This is a very short ROM.

devashish_paul wrote:
in this case, almost everything is from the legs
Yes. Also, one’s core.

devashish_paul wrote:
but the upper body is hanging onto the barbell with a short tug at the top using the momentum to the barbell delivered by the legs. In this case it would be mainly a leg exercise with some upper body component. If you did this with heavy enough weight, the upper body would have a decent amount of loading.

No. Use bodyweight to move the bar. It’s a “clean” lift motion. The arms just control the weight, and guide it back to the floor. They don’t do that much to move the bar.

I used to use straps to keep my hands loose and cramp-free, when I was doing cleans. I would attach myself to the bar. This allowed for much greater weight (1x 120% bodyweight) than I could grip, and/or many more reps (>100 @ 65% bodyweight) before I’d fatigue and fail.

ETA: Unlike rowing on the water, the load on the erg does not get lighter as the stroke progresses (because: physics). So, you will need to add a bit with the upper body. But, just a little in the last 15% of the stroke.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Apr 29, 18 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks to you and tuckandgo for the excellent explanations!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex GB lightweight rower (silver in London) posted a 19.13 on our local 10 (mile) at the weekend.

That's a not too shabby 31.2+ mph average.

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-results/17265

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done 2 workouts on the erg this week, Monday was 7x1 min@1:45 with 1 min recovery which was brutal. Today I did 5x3 min @ 1:50 with 3 min recovery which was tough but much more doable. Crazy how big a difference those extra 5s/500 can do!
As of now I'm almost only doing quality on the erg, feel like my base is covered from cycling/running/swimming.
I think I am activating my legs well, certainly feel the lactate and they feel heavy when I'm done and my core is usually burning during hard sessions as well, but there is most likely tons to work on regarding my form.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
But perhaps the best way of explaining the "load" in rowing is doing light dead lifts and continuing once the legs are locked, into an upward row where hands just come past belly button

Move the bar vertically to your chin. The last 15cm are “free”, as they come from momentum. Also, don’t lock your legs. You’ll blow out your lumbar discs.

If you’re only moving the bar to your belly button, then you’re not finishing the rowing stroke; your stopping at half-arm-break. This is a very short ROM.

devashish_paul wrote:
in this case, almost everything is from the legs

Yes. Also, one’s core.

devashish_paul wrote:
but the upper body is hanging onto the barbell with a short tug at the top using the momentum to the barbell delivered by the legs. In this case it would be mainly a leg exercise with some upper body component. If you did this with heavy enough weight, the upper body would have a decent amount of loading.

No. Use bodyweight to move the bar. It’s a “clean” lift motion. The arms just control the weight, and guide it back to the floor. They don’t do that much to move the bar.

I used to use straps to keep my hands loose and cramp-free, when I was doing cleans. I would attach myself to the bar. This allowed for much greater weight (1x 120% bodyweight) than I could grip, and/or many more reps (>100 @ 65% bodyweight) before I’d fatigue and fail.

ETA: Unlike rowing on the water, the load on the erg does not get lighter as the stroke progresses (because: physics). So, you will need to add a bit with the upper body. But, just a little in the last 15% of the stroke.

OK, this is very helpful visualization. I will try this today and move bar further up toward chin with the momentum. When you say not to lock knees (which makes sense, we don't do that in any sport and the human body generally does not like that), what angle do you 'leave'...are we talking 5 degrees or 10 degrees? It would almost be good to put a "stopped" (like a theraband or a bike inner tube tied ) around the beam so that when the seat gets too far back you immediately feel it?
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Have done 2 workouts on the erg this week, Monday was 7x1 min@1:45 with 1 min recovery which was brutal. Today I did 5x3 min @ 1:50 with 3 min recovery which was tough but much more doable. Crazy how big a difference those extra 5s/500 can do!
As of now I'm almost only doing quality on the erg, feel like my base is covered from cycling/running/swimming.
I think I am activating my legs well, certainly feel the lactate and they feel heavy when I'm done and my core is usually burning during hard sessions as well, but there is most likely tons to work on regarding my form.

It seems like 1:45 to 1:50 for you is like 1:50 to 1:55 for me. The steps are 300 to 260 to 230 Watts.

I am generally doing a lot of work around 2:00 to 2:05 (200 down to 180W range). This feel more like "half IM race pace" for me...even though my half IM race pace would be more like 210-220W. 180W would be my IM race pace, but t on the erg it feels more like half IM range. 1:55 is 230W and that feels like sprint tri race pace down to short interval pace. 1:50 is 260W which would be my FTP and I can barely sustain this on the erg....all that to say, for me it just feels harder across the board on the erg in terms of perceived exertion. I think its because we're moving more body mass around and there is half of the time when you are not applying any power....on the bike, you're always applying power and have a better mechanical advantage....so all that to say, I just go by perceived exertion and pace.

Generally my sessions are 3-4x1.5K or 3-4x2K with weights and elliptical circuit training in between. Most of it around 2:00-2:05. I try to do one one kilometer in there at 3:50 (1:55 pace). This around the same duration and slighlty lower perceived exertion than my 200 fly and 200 IM race intensity in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK, this is very helpful visualization. I will try this today and move bar further up toward chin with the momentum. When you say not to lock knees (which makes sense, we don't do that in any sport and the human body generally does not like that), what angle do you 'leave'...are we talking 5 degrees or 10 degrees?

For cleans: stand tall, not rigid. I’m sure there’s good youtube of this. For rowing, feet-out teaches proper finish posture.

Quote:
It would almost be good to put a "stopped" (like a theraband or a bike inner tube tied ) around the beam so that when the seat gets too far back you immediately feel it?
You can use a bike tube wrapped around the rail at the catch-end (30cm from the front of the rail), not the release-end. Feet-out (of the straps, or on top of the straps) will teach the proper position and posture at the release. I hope this makes sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, the advice about not locking the knees was soooo awesome. I was doing this, and the best way I can describe it was that I was losing power in the same vein as "your seat is too high". Suddenly rowing at 1:55 was feeling like 2:00 and 1:50 was feeling like 1:53/1:54. Also my back felt more solid and less "vulnerable" (which goes to your point about locking knees and blowing out backs.

And I was pretty cooked today after doing a swim meet Friday and Saturday and doing 12 hours of driving (door to door) between Fri and Sat. Yet, may pace was pretty good relative to what I have been doing.

Lots of really great advice on this thread from you and other. This is very helpful. Also I think some of the interval work that I have been doing on the erg transferred well to the 200 fly , 400 free and 400IM as they are similar durations to the erg intervals I have been doing. My pacing in these races was really even splitting this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Wow, the advice about not locking the knees was soooo awesome.

Lots of really great advice on this thread from you and other. This is very helpful.
Glad I could help you improve (never having seen you row).

Quote:
Also I think some of the interval work that I have been doing on the erg transferred well to the 200 fly , 400 free and 400IM as they are similar durations to the erg intervals I have been doing. My pacing in these races was really even splitting this weekend.
Rowing short intervals—the physiological benefit—helps my running. So I “get it.”

Keep at the rowing. 👍🏻

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Wow, the advice about not locking the knees was soooo awesome.

Lots of really great advice on this thread from you and other. This is very helpful.

Glad I could help you improve (never having seen you row).

Quote:
Also I think some of the interval work that I have been doing on the erg transferred well to the 200 fly , 400 free and 400IM as they are similar durations to the erg intervals I have been doing. My pacing in these races was really even splitting this weekend.

Rowing short intervals—the physiological benefit—helps my running. So I “get it.”

Keep at the rowing. 👍🏻

Here is the interesting part....guys who are monsters at the 4000m pursuit on the cycling track and win the Tour De France (Bradley Wiggins), or you can be a national caliber rower (Cam Wurf) and take the bike course record at Kona....once it goes past 20 seconds (ex 200m track running, 50m swim sprinting0, we're dealing with a big aerobic contribution and its about how you utilize oxygen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to report back after 2 more short sessions rowing without my "seat too high" and not going to a locked knee. I am definitely seeing more power with my pace around 5 seconds per 500m faster across the board at the same perceived exertion.

What has changed, and I don't know if this is bad, is my cadence has gone up. I would say up to 10% across the board (which almost correlates to the pop in power as 5-6 seconds is ~30W on say 200W). I realize that I have not posted video due to the city gyms banning using cameras at the gym, but what are your thoughts. I don't feel like my form has degraded, in fact, it feels much better, tighter, more compact, but all along on this thread you all have been telling me to get my cadence down. Now when I am cruising I am just under 30, when I am going hard around 35 and when I am surging to the end of a hard interval, it will go over 40. Keep in mind I am 5'6". I am also a high cadence swimmer and a high cadence XC skier. People would tell me to glide more on skis and could not understand how I keep a Tasmanian devil cadence going and not get winded, but the smaller women pros tended to ski in many ways with similar form (OK, their form was better, but their approach was similar).

In any case 1000m in 3:45 is not killing me right now. It's hard, but doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Video would help. Probably still to do with your connection although at 5 ft 6 i would expect you to have a little higher rate. Even so you would never cruise at 30 - the girls that size don't unlike your xc analogy.

One thing you could try is just stick a limiter on the rate aka strength bike style. 30 minutes rate 20 and see how far you can go. Do it right and its a truly horrible session. It should feel like you are exploding on the stroke then have loads of time on the recovery. (AT) now given this is for rehab this may not be the best idea...

If you want something less unpleasant 3x6k @ 75% max heart rate at rate 18. Long session and is traditionally what we would do over the winter to build that base before swapping to the nastier shorter high rate stuff in the summer. (UT2)
Quote Reply
Re: What do I Need to know about Indoor Rowing? [Lazydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Base work /power per stoke 18-20spm
AT 24-28spm
SPEED 32+
VO2 38+

Cadence is never a function of height; cadence is a function of efficiency, and fitness (power application over time).

Ex. I’d expect to see 30-32 for 6km all-out test, with last km no cap (physio equivalent is 5km run)

Get video. Post video.

ETA: your splits likely dropped (faster) as your cadence went up.

Again, this is what you want to be doing:
https://instagram.com/p/BZ1fgjogp9Y/

I chose Michelle as an example, as she’s about the same height as you, at 135lbs. She’s 31. She does 1:45/500m for 2000m.

Last edited by: philly1x: May 9, 18 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, I looked you up, remember Andrew Lindsay, an old friend of mine.
Now he's a beast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
+1

Base work /power per stoke 18-20spm
AT 24-28spm
SPEED 32+
VO2 38+

Cadence is never a function of height; cadence is a function of efficiency, and fitness (power application over time).

Ex. I’d expect to see 30-32 for 6km all-out test, with last km no cap (physio equivalent is 5km run)

Get video. Post video.

ETA: your splits likely dropped (faster) as your cadence went up.

Again, this is what you want to be doing:
https://instagram.com/p/BZ1fgjogp9Y/

I chose Michelle as an example, as she’s about the same height as you, at 135lbs. She’s 31. She does 1:45/500m for 2000m.

Wow, that video of Michelle was awesome (Pat Benatar "Love is a Battlefield" was a nice bonus). So the last two days when I went to the gym, I closed my eyes and tried to imagine that I am jamming the erg forward with my feet while the handles stay stay static in space so you are pushing the entire erg "under the handle". Not sure if I am decribing this well, but I think I am getting it. Today I skipped swimming and did 40 min overall on the erg as part of 90 min gym circuit. I did four hard intervals during this session. 1000m in 3:50, 1500m in 5:47 and two times 1 min holding sub 1:50. My cadence is still high, but I am a bit reluctant to go to too high force yet when I am working at higher power. I am also typically going with a zero to two setting for the setting on the side (not sure drag factor), but I think this puts less stress on my lumbar region for now at the start of each pull.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So the last two days when I went to the gym, I closed my eyes and tried to imagine that I am jamming the erg forward with my feet while the handles stay stay static in space so you are pushing the entire erg "under the handle". Not sure if I am decribing this well, but I think I am getting it.
Don’t jam; squeeze. But this is the correct idea. Well done!

Quote Reply

Prev Next