Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What cycling shoes do you wear?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
What cycling shoes do you wear? I am finally replacing mine after 21 years!
My current shoes: are Sidi T1 from 1998 and are finally falling apart. New shoes will be used on both Road and Tri bikes and I use Speedplay pedals.
John
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Mar 25, 19 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for new cycling shoes? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<insert name of shoes I wear>

Budget?
Preferences? (colour, fasteners, brands, etc)
Foot abnormalities? (width/arch/bunions etc)

Do you want tri shoes or road shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for new cycling shoes? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
<insert name of shoes I wear>

Budget?
Preferences? (colour, fasteners, brands, etc)
Foot abnormalities? (width/arch/bunions etc)

Do you want tri shoes or road shoes?

Sidi T1 (from 1998)
Budget - any
Preferences - not sure as I have only worn these Sidi T1 which are triathlon shoes. I will wear these on both bikes - tri and road using Speedplay pedals.
Normal foot - normal width - no issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you liked the Sidis, stay with Sidi.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Sidi T1 (from 1998)
Shoulda used pink...

I was implying that the usual process of requesting recommendations usually results in everyone just telling you what they have, not what is best for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for new cycling shoes? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's OK in this case. I have no idea what anyone is using these days.
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't recommend the DMT KR1 highly enough from a comfort perspective. I've worn top of the line Sidi, Shimano, Bont and Gaerne and these are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn especially without socks in a triathlon. You will have to put them on in transition but they feel so good to ride in. Note they are very airy so wouldn't be a great winter shoe without an overshoe.

https://www.dmtcycling.com/en/road/dmt-kr1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
21 years! That's awesome. My SIDI road shoes are 9 years old and still going strong. I liked them so much I got a pair of SIDI tri shoes a couple years ago. Neither are the top of the line model, but the quality is still outstanding.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Mar 26, 19 3:36
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also ride in Sidis, road, mountain and Tri. Very high quality shoes, i use a semi custom insole and they are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Louis Garneau shoes... both road and tri. Road is the Air Lite model and the Tri-400 for tri. Comfortable and both work really well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know someone who still wears those shoes..... Can there be two of you? Do I know you?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I know someone who still wears those shoes..... Can there be two of you? Do I know you?

I wish! I cannot find a picture of these though I did post one a few years back! Mine are the blue/yellow combo. Only the velcro strap is fraying held together by 100mph tape!
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I can't recommend the DMT KR1 highly enough from a comfort perspective. I've worn top of the line Sidi, Shimano, Bont and Gaerne and these are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn especially without socks in a triathlon. You will have to put them on in transition but they feel so good to ride in. Note they are very airy so wouldn't be a great winter shoe without an overshoe.

https://www.dmtcycling.com/en/road/dmt-kr1

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check these out!
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
21 years! That's awesome. My SIDI road shoes are 9 years old and still going strong. I liked them so much I got a pair of SIDI tri shoes a couple years ago. Neither are the top of the line model, but the quality is still outstanding.

And they have the original Speedplay cleats too - pretty beat up but still functional!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott....of course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am finally replacing mine after 21 years!

Good grief!

Not for triathlon unless modifications made - my shoes for the last 4 years have been the Giro Empire ACC and then SLX. I only ride a road bike these days. Had the ACC for two years - now they are my indoor trainer shoes, and use the SLX's outdoors. I tend to replace my cycling shoes every 2 - 3 years.

If you want a shoe for both tri and road - I would look to one of the boa closure road models, that you can get on and off on the fly easily. Note not all of them you can.

General advice on cycling shoes - like saddles it's very individual what fits/works for YOU. That being said - this is an area, as well as the whole shoe, cleat, pedal complex, that I would not go cheap on or at least take the time to get things right. Don't forget - this is where all of YOUR energy and effort is transferred TO the bike!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride with Speedplay too.

My food with is between regular and wide, so I'm sensitive to narrow shoes. I've gone through these shoes:

- Bontrager Hilo (3-bolt, tri straps): Narrow and hurt on long rides, to the point that during an IM I pulled over to take them off for a few minutes. Full disclosure, I may have had a size too small. Liked them otherwise because they were light and well vented.
- Louis Garneau Tri-300 (3-bolt; tri straps): wider and incredibly comfortable. Never had numbness or pain with these during ironman races. Well vented, but a bit bulkier and taller stack because of the sole ventilation.
- Bont Zero+ (speedplay sole; single BOA): I got the wide, which fit perfectly. They look aero but also bulky because the sole wraps around the foot. Not nearly as comfortable as the LG above, even after several molding tries and several different insoles (LG and Bontrager inForm). No easy way to do a flying mount with these but I wouldn't want to wear them without socks for 5 hours anyway.
- Gaerne G.Kona (speedplay sole; tri straps): Comfort similar to LG but slightly narrower. Even less stack than the Bont speedplay sole, light, and atractively small form factor. Not much visible ventilation but they don't feel hot. Looking forward to leaving the shoes on my bike for T1 again.

The Louis Garneau and Gaerne's have been my favorites.
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I am finally replacing mine after 21 years!

Good grief!

Not for triathlon unless modifications made - my shoes for the last 4 years have been the Giro Empire ACC and then SLX. I only ride a road bike these days. Had the ACC for two years - now they are my indoor trainer shoes, and use the SLX's outdoors. I tend to replace my cycling shoes every 2 - 3 years.

If you want a shoe for both tri and road - I would look to one of the boa closure road models, that you can get on and off on the fly easily. Note not all of them you can.

General advice on cycling shoes - like saddles it's very individual what fits/works for YOU. That being said - this is an area, as well as the whole shoe, cleat, pedal complex, that I would not go cheap on or at least take the time to get things right. Don't forget - this is where all of YOUR energy and effort is transferred TO the bike!!

Thanks - I plan to spend whatever money is necessary. I am sure I got my money's worth on my Sidi's!
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I ride with Speedplay too.

My food with is between regular and wide, so I'm sensitive to narrow shoes. I've gone through these shoes:

- Bontrager Hilo (3-bolt, tri straps): Narrow and hurt on long rides, to the point that during an IM I pulled over to take them off for a few minutes. Full disclosure, I may have had a size too small. Liked them otherwise because they were light and well vented.
- Louis Garneau Tri-300 (3-bolt; tri straps): wider and incredibly comfortable. Never had numbness or pain with these during ironman races. Well vented, but a bit bulkier and taller stack because of the sole ventilation.
- Bont Zero+ (speedplay sole; single BOA): I got the wide, which fit perfectly. They look aero but also bulky because the sole wraps around the foot. Not nearly as comfortable as the LG above, even after several molding tries and several different insoles (LG and Bontrager inForm). No easy way to do a flying mount with these but I wouldn't want to wear them without socks for 5 hours anyway.
- Gaerne G.Kona (speedplay sole; tri straps): Comfort similar to LG but slightly narrower. Even less stack than the Bont speedplay sole, light, and atractively small form factor. Not much visible ventilation but they don't feel hot. Looking forward to leaving the shoes on my bike for T1 again.

The Louis Garneau and Gaerne's have been my favorites.

Thanks for this info. The Gaerne G.Kona looks very nice, I will check into it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got some Specialized Trivent S-Works 6 and love them. I was surprised how much power I lost with my old Trivents that were 10 years old. They were fairly loose on my feet which made them easy to get in and out of but had substantial power loss.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
...21 years!

The smell alone on a set of shoes that old must be epic. I've tried Lake, Shimano, Bont, LG, Pearl Izumi, and Fizik. I have a set of Fizik R5 road shoes that fit nicely, aren't too expensive, and have boa closures. They've become my go to for most riding with the exception of short course tri. It's worth seeing if you can find somewhere nearby that you can try a variety on. Shoes are very individual even within a model set or brand.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is certainly the challenge as most of the bike shops only carry Specialized or Bontrager and the only dedicated triathlon shop closed last year after 23 years in business.

I guess most folks order online now for bike shoes??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoes are so personal. I have tried Bont, Northwave, Sidi, Bontrager, Giro and Shimano and currently own only Shimano. I really, really wanted to like Sidi and tried several sizes but they were just too narrow and low volume for my feet, plus I couldn't get the cleats back far enough. Vittoria is a very high volume shoe and Shimano is higher than Sidi. The Bonts were absolutely horrible for me. Bontrager sizing is really weird. I would like to try Specialized but they are $$.

Good grief- 21 years! The velcro fails on mine after 5 years or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I order online occasionally but for shoes, I've just waited until I'm traveling somewhere and see what kind of bike shops they have around. I regularly end up in Tampa, Orlando, Atlanta and all have places with a decent shoe selection. I assume most large cities will have something if you're planning to travel anywhere near one.

Triathlon shoes, though, very hard to find any stocked variety... online is probably a best bet.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevendex wrote:

Good grief- 21 years! The velcro fails on mine after 5 years or so.

I have the velcro strap held together with tape!
Quote Reply

Prev Next