Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What crank length do you use on Tri bike?
Quote | Reply
I use to always use a 172.5mm
I’m 5’10”

Last season I tried a 165mm. I can’t say it was terrible. Maybe I gave up some leverage on the climbs. Debating on 170mm verses 165mm for my next bike build.

What are you running?
Quote Reply
Re: What crank length do you use on Tri bike? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'3", 172.5mm. Never tried anything shorter but would certainly be open to it. Just don't feel the need with my fit at the moment.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'6" and use 155mm cranks.

I am building a new TT bike for my son who is 5'11" and it will have 155mm cranks too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6’1 using 175mm, but to be honest I haven’t had the means to experiment. I know 165 tends to be fairly popular amongst people around my height. I have not had issues with hip angle though, I believe thanks to my flexibility

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'10, 165mm.

Going to try 160 on next build.

I also noticed a leverage issue on climbs, especially when standing felt a bit odd, and three years on I still notice it. But would never go back to longer cranks on the TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'1" and run 165's on my tri bike. 175's on my road racing bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I use to always use a 172.5mm
I’m 5’10”

Last season I tried a 165mm. I can’t say it was terrible. Maybe I gave up some leverage on the climbs. Debating on 170mm verses 165mm for my next bike build.

What are you running?

Exact same for me. Ran 172.5 forever, got some 165s to try it out, gave it 6 months, and went back to 172.5. I guess if I got a new bike and it had 170s on it I wouldn't change it but I wouldn't go shorter.

I'm 5'9"
Quote Reply
Re: What crank length do you use on Tri bike? [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
6’1 using 175mm, but to be honest I haven’t had the means to experiment. I know 165 tends to be fairly popular amongst people around my height. I have not had issues with hip angle though, I believe thanks to my flexibility

whoa..you are opening a can of worms...many folks in this forum argue that flexibility has nothing to do with the ability to sustain aero position. I could not disagree more, flexibility is important, but staying out of the argument.

To the OP: I am 5'7" and been experimenting various crank lengths this "season" 145-165 mm, I am settling on 160-165 mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 foot 8. 155
Quote Reply
Re: What crank length do you use on Tri bike? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6' 1" and I use 172.5s. I'm thinking about experimenting a bit this winter as I have a Wahoo Kickr bike and can go down to 165 really easily...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6’1” here, running 165mm on my speedmax but 172.5mm on my TCR. No regrets so far but won’t change the TCR cranks as I ride a lot of hilly stuff on that bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'11"

I am now running 165 mm cranks, as suggested by my bike fitter, which resulted in getting rid of my quad in chest syndrome.

I don't see a sustained power difference between my tt bike and road bike as a result.

I do see a fit and comfort difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 5’11’” and trialled from 170 down to 150 for extended periods and racing. I found 150 just too short and at times I was locked into pedalling the gear but then often felt out of sync. I went to 160 for a few seasons and liked the length having good results. For whatever reason I trialled 155 and it felt better initially but I found when fatigued they felt too short on the back end of an IM and my power disappeared. My current bike I built up with 165 and it doesn’t feel to unlike my 160 and doesn’t hinder my fit. Covid hasn’t let me race on them yet but I think I will stay with them.

Personally I think you are best to run the longest crank that doesn’t hinder your fit which is 165 for me before my quads start banging on my ribs. Shorter cranks always felt better initially for me but under power in races with fatigue is when you may regret your decisions. That being said I come from a cycling background, a more powerful rider who generally races 70.3 and IM races so everyone may be different but my 2c.
Quote Reply
Re: What crank length do you use on Tri bike? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'7 and I ride Cervelo TT bike size 51. Tried 175, 172.5 and 165. Currently 165 is on my bike.

175: Used it for about 3 years and I didn't know anything about crank length because it came with the used boke I bought, so I just rode it. Thinking back, I get a cramp around 50 miles and uphill is easier, but it's hard to use cadence on flat.

172.5: Used it for 4 months. It was a carbon crank and I loved it. I was definitely faster on flat road and my legs were not that tired. Uphill was bit tougher but it was manageable.

165: I get a cramp around 70 miles, so I can tell my legs get tired way later. I ran a little after 100 mile ride and wow, I couldn't believe my leg felt so fresh. I ride same 10 mile loop all the time for years and it's mostly flat. I clocked best time with this crank so I'm definitely keeping it.

I already sold 175 crank, but I haven't gotten rid of 172.5 crank yet. I want to ride 165 crank more and see.
Quote Reply
Re: What crank length do you use on Tri bike? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
165. Roadie. I do TT. I tried it to gain hip angle with low stack. Works. I find it tougher to hold higher super threshold TT cadence at lower power zones. Other than that, like it.

5’ 10” tall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
155mm. I'm 6'1", 210.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A shade under 5'9" and I am using 165mm.
I am building a new tri bike and planning to get a 155mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'10" & using 165 cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'6 using 150mm. Started out with 165 but I had a hitch in my pedal stroke getting over the top and always felt like my lower quads were strained. Made the jump recently and it works so much better for me. Feels more stable and like I'm activating the entirety of my quad/glutes. Overall big improvement in comfort. Don't really notice the lack of leverage when climbing unless I ride my road bike (which has 165) the same day

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'3.5"

170mm on tt and road bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5' 7", running with Cobb 155 cranks and full compact chain rings on my Felt IA16.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
186cm on a good day.
TT: 165mm
Road: 172.5 & 175mm (don't notice the difference between these two tbh)
MTB: 175mm

(PS, why are body lengths stated in ft/inch, and crank sizes in mm? )
Quote Reply
Re: What crank length do you use on Tri bike? [Mongo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does "full compact chain rings" mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'2" and I use a 170mm. (from a 175mm)

Got shorter cranks as part of my new fitting. It made a noticeable difference. Smoother peddling, cadence when up but that is no big deal, and power jumped up a 7+ watts on avg. That was a big deal but it due to a better over all position. However shorter cranks were part of the puzzle.
Last edited by: Rideon77: Nov 2, 20 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: What crank length do you use on Tri bike? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What does "full compact chain rings" mean?

34/50, as opposed to 36/52 mid compact, as opposed to 39/53 standard
Quote Reply

Prev Next