Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What causes wetsuit neck chafe
Quote | Reply
I had a bad neck chafe today in the pool with my wetsuit. Usually I don't put on glide in pool and almost never chafe... But once in a while it happens. Is it the Velcro that's hitting my neck or is it the fabric that is by the top of the zipper that is not flat/smooth and causes the chafe?
Quote Reply
Re: What causes wetsuit neck chafe [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If any of the velcro is rubbing you, it will definitely abrade. I've seen it caused by the velcro on the collar tab, and even by the end of the leash sticking up out of the collar.

There are lots of causes. At last weekend's 70.3 I got bad wetsuit rash, but it was near my neck hairline (way too high up for the wetsuit to contact)....ended up being the latex cap rubbing.

Take a look at the rash pattern and it should help give a clue. The velcro rubs tend to be in a small area, while collar rubs form a several inches-long line.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First long open water swim I did I got a NASTY NASTY burn on my neck, still have scars, and it wasn't from velcro, just friction from the wetsuit. ( the marks were far past where the velcro would have reached )

Glide was used that day, and failed, now I use tri-slide, and have done up to a 7 km ( 4 mile ish ) OWS in the same wetsuit with no issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me I get it when I look forward instead of looking down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've determined for me it's the number of times I look forward while swimming. The more I sight the more it burns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its not the lack of lube or glide, although those 2 things will help. Its usually because you have the wrong suit size or its not correctly fitted once on. I know watching the Huub fitting videos really helped me and my fitting and I don't even own a Huub suit. Also, like the person above stated, body position and how you breathe/ sight can aggravate rubbing.

Basiclaly you need to make sure the bottom half is pulled up tight the the crotch, arms pulled up tight into the pits, torso pulled up to the neck, zip up, make sure the velcro closure isn't too tight. Once on bend forward and 'roll' the suit up from the waist, pulling up to the neck line. Then grab material at the small of the back up and work it up to the back of the suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have the same problem. Chaffing was worse the more i looked up to sight and was also worse in salt water. After comparing my suit to other wetsuits i realized the inside of my suit wasn't as smooth as some other brands. I ended buying a Zoot wetsuit which has a really smooth/soft neck liner to prevent chafing and have not gotten chafed since, even with no lube. I think all the zoot wetsuits have this lining. My previous suit was a synergy. Check the neck lining on your suit and compare it to other brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dreaded wetsuit hickey!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it but I don't really notice it unless I put my hand back there afterwards. I don't really care about it. I just take it as the price of a long, fast swim.

I don't have any velcro back there on my wetsuit as it's a two-piece so it's not velcro. The top fits me perfectly (I've tried the larger and smaller sizes). I just think that any time you've got something that tight fitting (necessarily so) around your neck and you are turning your head hundreds and hundreds of times, it's bound to happen.

I guess I could try to body-glide my way out of it but it has never bothered me. Is it a problem for you?
Quote Reply
Re: What causes wetsuit neck chafe [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only get chafed in salt water. Fresh water swims are fine.
Now, for training, I wear an lycra underneath and that keeps me troublefree for raceday. I could not care less for the chafe to heal during 3-4 days post-race ;) I do mind getting into a race already badly chafed and then hurting like hell during the swim. Hence wearing the lycra, works better then any cream or lubrication I've used so far.
Quote Reply