Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
am I the only one who likes Jeeps in the forum?
The 4 door wrangler, depending on the size of the frame it can be a category 2, for sure a category 4, and if you take the top off it turns into a category 1.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toyota Landcruiser. I took my bike into the dealership. :)
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This thread would be more useful if it grouped cars into 3 classes:

1) Those in which you can secure the bike inside, standing up, with both wheels on. E.g., Honda Element, Ford F-150 supercrew, most vans, etc. If you can't roll it in and drive off, it doesn't make this group!

2) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off, but the bike seat straight UP and fork set in a fork lock (e.g., a Honda Fit believe it or not).

3) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off and the bike laying down. This is the least desirable option and describes many of the vehicles on this thread.

I have a 2010 Honda Element with 110,000 miles on it and am wondering what I'm going to do when it is no longer highway trustworthy. I've looked at the Ford F-150 and but it's too much vehicle for my everyday use and I don't want a VAN. I may have to look at Group 2 vehicles for the next car.

Not sure what Honda Fit you're driving, but mine would not be Category 2 unless you remove the *rear* wheel. The distance from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the seat is too great. Definitely Category 4--everything on, bike laying down.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [bripod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bripod wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Quote:


Not sure what Honda Fit you're driving, but mine would not be Category 2 unless you remove the *rear* wheel. The distance from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the seat is too great. Definitely Category 4--everything on, bike laying down.


I do not have a Honda Fit, but I a few years ago, I was at a trailhead and a guy had two bikes inside. I asked him to show me. He had the rear seats folded down and a 2 x 4 with two fork mounts bolted in. Two bikes were locked to the fork mounts, seats up, rear wheels on and towards the rear. The front wheels were on each side. Saw it with my own eyes ... amazing. Perhaps newer Fits don't have as much cargo depth as the earlier ones???

Regardless, I just looked on Google Images and here is exactly what I described...a Category 2 Honda Fit:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS718US718&biw=1368&bih=776&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=xLB8W4bfAonMjwTf8ZKgBA&q=honda+fit+with+bikes+inside&oq=honda+fit+with+bikes+inside&gs_l=img.3...9210.15414.0.15531.31.28.3.0.0.0.169.2281.26j2.28.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.22.1519...0j0i67k1j0i30k1j0i24k1.0.FvAVdUxlTgA#imgrc=envZVsXcQuwlHM:
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
am I the only one who likes Jeeps in the forum?
The 4 door wrangler, depending on the size of the frame it can be a category 2, for sure a category 4, and if you take the top off it turns into a category 1.

A Jeep Wrangler is a fantastic looking vehicle, but year after year Consumer Reports ranks it among the bottom feeders in terms of reliability. For its class, it's about the worst used car you can buy as well.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
bripod wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:


Not sure what Honda Fit you're driving, but mine would not be Category 2 unless you remove the *rear* wheel. The distance from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the seat is too great. Definitely Category 4--everything on, bike laying down.


I do not have a Honda Fit, but I a few years ago, I was at a trailhead and a guy had two bikes inside. I asked him to show me. He had the rear seats folded down and a 2 x 4 with two fork mounts bolted in. Two bikes were locked to the fork mounts, seats up, rear wheels on and towards the rear. The front wheels were on each side. Saw it with my own eyes ... amazing. Perhaps newer Fits don't have as much cargo depth as the earlier ones???

Regardless, I just looked on Google Images and here is exactly what I described...a Category 2 Honda Fit:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS718US718&biw=1368&bih=776&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=xLB8W4bfAonMjwTf8ZKgBA&q=honda+fit+with+bikes+inside&oq=honda+fit+with+bikes+inside&gs_l=img.3...9210.15414.0.15531.31.28.3.0.0.0.169.2281.26j2.28.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.22.1519...0j0i67k1j0i30k1j0i24k1.0.FvAVdUxlTgA#imgrc=envZVsXcQuwlHM:

Can't help but notice as I peruse those images that almost all of the seats are slammed down. I'm guessing the few that aren't are smaller frames. Love the guy fitting his tandem in there! lol

As a little test I measured from the bottom of the rear tire to the top of the seat on my bike -- about 44 inches. Then I measured from the top of the folded down seat to the bottom of the headliner--about 39.5 inches. So, some people may have better luck than me at fitting the bike in as you have prescribed. I am upper-10% in height for American male and I do understand that I'm probably an outlier here.

At any rate, you CAN fit the whole bike in without taking anything off, if you don't mind laying it down. Still tons of room elsewhere (even room for a passenger!) with it like that.
Last edited by: bripod: Aug 21, 18 19:23
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a BMW 4 series Gran Coupe? Sort of similar to the Audi A5 Sportback - 4 door hatchback.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got a 3 series which I think has similar if not identical interior dimensions to the 4 series. I have to take the front AND rear wheels off to get my bike in the trunk. The issue for me is the wheel wells encroach quite a bit on the trunk width and I'm 6'4" and trying to stuff a 61cm frame with a pretty high seat in there. The narrowest part of the trunk is just a bit too narrow although I am only about a centimeter width wise from being able to get the bike in there with just the front wheel off. I can't say for sure, but I don't think the trunk space with the seats down would be long enough for both wheels on even if I did not have my tall seat post issue.

The silver lining is that after decades of cycling and fumbling around with the rear wheel, I finally buckled down and mastered the rear wheel removal/install game and I'm now Tour mechanic quick ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks STP! That just simplified things!
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply


I figure, A: plenty of room for a bike; B: who would ever even consider breaking into it?

---------------------------------
All that could not sink or swim, were just left there to float.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
s5100e wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
This thread would be more useful if it grouped cars into 3 classes:
1) Those in which you can secure the bike inside, standing up, with both wheels on. E.g., Honda Element, Ford F-150 supercrew, most vans, etc. If you can't roll it in and drive off, it doesn't make this group!

2) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off, but the bike seat straight UP and fork set in a fork lock (e.g., a Honda Fit believe it or not).

3) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off and the bike laying down. This is the least desirable option and describes many of the vehicles on this thread.

I have a 2010 Honda Element with 110,000 miles on it and am wondering what I'm going to do when it is no longer highway trustworthy. I've looked at the Ford F-150 and but it's too much vehicle for my everyday use and I don't want a VAN. I may have to look at Group 2 vehicles for the next car.

and category
4) bike laying down and both wheels on, Prius and Jetta wagon both are category 4 vehicles.


Well since we are going there any way, the original ask was for category 4 - bike laying down with both wheels on.

I'd like to add category 5:
- Bike laying down with both wheels on AND the option to take the wheels off and stash frame and wheels in the trunk, seats up, bike effectively hidden. At the Oakland Triathlon last Sunday I was once again pleased with my Audi A6 b/c I could do this with my BMC TM01. So the car was a "category 4" on the way over and a "category 5" on the way home.
I am not sure the Audi Sportback can do #5 though can certainly do #4 I think.

Great discussion!

I think you could do that with the Audi A5 Sportback. There is a cover over the cargo area that would hide the bike (with wheels off). It's worth exploring.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
Anyone have a BMW 4 series Gran Coupe? Sort of similar to the Audi A5 Sportback - 4 door hatchback.

I test drove one and tried fitting my tri bike (Felt B2 - size 54) in the back with both wheels on. Wouldn't fit - cargo area too narrow. Same result with the Kia Stinger. I did have a BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo as a service loaner earlier this year and my tri bike fit in the back of it.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Ken W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW my Speedconcept fits in the back of my current gen Subaru Forester XT with the seats folded down with the front wheel on.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have that vehicle ... for the purposes of hauling a bike it is a decidedly inferior Category 3 vehicle.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Art M. wrote:
am I the only one who likes Jeeps in the forum?
The 4 door wrangler, depending on the size of the frame it can be a category 2, for sure a category 4, and if you take the top off it turns into a category 1.


A Jeep Wrangler is a fantastic looking vehicle, but year after year Consumer Reports ranks it among the bottom feeders in terms of reliability. For its class, it's about the worst used car you can buy as well.

The do suffer very little depreciation though. It is frankly bizarre how well they hold their value.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...one of life's mysteries. I would by a Jeep Wrangler 4 door hardtop if they weren't such poor performers. People buy Range Rovers too, despite their high cost and their consistently poor ratings.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind being perceived as de-balled, mini van is the only answer. I am quite happy with my Honda Odyssey: fold down the 3rd row seats, wheel in 4 bikes upright with no problems. Nothing to take off or hoisting sideways or arranging like a jigsaw puzzle. But it's a mini van, so do it as your own peril.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Ken W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken W wrote:
[I think you could do that with the Audi A5 Sportback. There is a cover over the cargo area that would hide the bike (with wheels off). It's worth exploring.

Ken W, thanks for continuing to drill down on the A5 Sportback! They made these in Europe for years but are only now coming to the states - so finding a used one is virtually impossible. But I gotta say this car hits all the right check boxes. If what you say is true, golden!
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mini Countryman 2014.
Put the back seats down and bike fits.Decent gas mileage!
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
Ken W wrote:
[I think you could do that with the Audi A5 Sportback. There is a cover over the cargo area that would hide the bike (with wheels off). It's worth exploring.


Ken W, thanks for continuing to drill down on the A5 Sportback! They made these in Europe for years but are only now coming to the states - so finding a used one is virtually impossible. But I gotta say this car hits all the right check boxes. If what you say is true, golden!

When I was looking for a new car early this year I wanted a car or wagon (no SUVs, trucks or minivans) that I could put my tri bike in with both wheels on, which really limits the universe of available vehicles here in the U.S. I researched and test drove a lot of vehicles and, if I was going to limit myself to one vehicle, the A5 Sportback would have been it. However, at the time I had two cars (BMW 3-series sedan and BMW Z4 roadster) and decided to go cheap on the tri transport vehicle (VW Golf Alltrack) and apply the $30k in savings to a CPO Porsche Cayman to replace the aging Z4. So far it's working out but every time I see an A5 Sportback I regret that I didn't buy one. Will likely get a CPO A5 Sportback in a few years when they start to come off lease. Best of luck in your search.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Mrnchk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrnchk wrote:
Mini Countryman 2014.
Put the back seats down and bike fits.Decent gas mileage!

My wife loves the Countryman. Question - is it possible to take the wheels off and stuff the frame and wheels in to the "hatch" area without having to fold the seats? If so, that would be killer. (In other words, so people couldn't see the bike in the hatch).

Thanks,
Twain
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a great question.I have never done it-it looks like the hatch would be too small to fit everything and then put the attachment cover thing on so no one could see the bike...I may try it this week as I’m in the position of now taking a trainer class and then going straight to work with bike in car.Not sure I want it visible for that long!
Will report back if it works.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% correct.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This thread would be more useful if it grouped cars into 3 classes:

1) Those in which you can secure the bike inside, standing up, with both wheels on. E.g., Honda Element, Ford F-150 supercrew, most vans, etc. If you can't roll it in and drive off, it doesn't make this group!

2) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off, but the bike seat straight UP and fork set in a fork lock (e.g., a Honda Fit believe it or not).

3) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off and the bike laying down. This is the least desirable option and describes many of the vehicles on this thread.

I have a 2010 Honda Element with 110,000 miles on it and am wondering what I'm going to do when it is no longer highway trustworthy. I've looked at the Ford F-150 and but it's too much vehicle for my everyday use and I don't want a VAN. I may have to look at Group 2 vehicles for the next car.

2006 Volvo V70... bike laying down, both wheels on. Can load a couple of gear bags around it, but if it's a long-weekend road trip, pulling the front wheel gives me more flexibility for a couple more bags (soft-sided, haven't tested how stable a roller bag would be on edge.)

By next spring I'll be over 200K on that ride and looking for a replacement... wondering if the V60 will have the right cargo footprint, or if I'll be in CVT hell with a Subaru Outback. Doing my damnedest to keep the roof height low, i.e. no SUV/minivan BS. Anyone else in this class of vehicle?
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Mrnchk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrnchk wrote:
That’s a great question.I have never done it-it looks like the hatch would be too small to fit everything and then put the attachment cover thing on so no one could see the bike...I may try it this week as I’m in the position of now taking a trainer class and then going straight to work with bike in car.Not sure I want it visible for that long!
Will report back if it works.

Looking forward to seeing if the bike fits in the back of the Mini w/o folding the seats!
Quote Reply

Prev Next