Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2012 Mazda 2. Yes - the bike fits.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. Perfect for my bikes and to take me back and forth to the airport.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2015 Subaru Impreza - Yes the bike fits (2010 Cervelo P2 size 56)
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toyota hilux , I can fit in 4 with the front wheels on
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Edor5505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea about a 29" mtb with wheels on? Considering an S and have a Scalpel 29 in addition that's been the toughest to get into cars.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Honda Fit

58cm Cervelo P2 with all wheels plus BTS bottle holder with two bottles. Was pretty nice yesterday after a triathlon when it was pouring rain and it took me no time at all to chuck my stuff in and go.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any year Ford Excursion. It is kind of a big truck. Not exactly a replacement for Audi. But I can fit a couple bikes in there without taking off the front wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2018 Subura Crosstrek... YES it fits.. folding down the rear seats
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honda CR-V - yes for the bike with wheels or a Scicon hardshell. I'm pretty sure any midsize SUV like Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forrester or Nissan Rogue will have no issues.

Small Size SUVs like VW Tiguan or Kia Sportage - will probably work as well, but I had issues trying to fit a Scicon shell in a Tiguan. It barely fit.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Dodge Grand Caravan. Its not even close. I can easily get 3 people with bikes and gear inside, and probably 4 if I actually try to maximize space efficiency. It removing wheels is an option, then I might be able to get 5 inside the vehicle, though I haven’t tried it.

Forgot I wasn't on Reddit and tried to upvote this. We rented a Caravan for our last out of town race, and it was great. 2 bikes in the back, bungee'd to the sides, and plenty of room for everything else.

I have a Kia Soul, and it works fine for 1 bike, two require stacking, which I'm hesitant to do, so for 2-3 bikes I use a rack.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
rich_m wrote:
my 2017 Mazda CX-5 - bikes fit without taking off front wheel

2015 CX-5 - fits 2 TT bikes, 2 suitcases, and a bunch of other wife shit that she needed for a week of vacation with IM chat in the middle. Wheels on all the time.
I have a 2014 cx 5. It’ll fit one of my 60 cm road bikes no problem. My Scalpel doesn’t fit though. too damn big. I have a hitch rack for that.
I think it’s a perfect vehicle. It’s a beast in the snow as I found out last year in Philly. And it gets great gas mileage. It also has room for my 9’ one piece surf fishing outfit.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
windschatten wrote:
RandMart wrote:
I'm thinking something along the lines of a 1960s Lincoln Continental



You are absolutely correct.

The OP clearly states "car" and "trunk".

Pretty everything so far on this thread is either not a "car" (which excludes trucks), or it doesn't have a "trunk" (which by definition is an enclosed luggage compartment separate from the passenger cabin).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_(car)

So unless the OP just worded it poorly, he wants a Sedan.

He should take a look there:
https://www.cargurus.com/...argo-capacity_vl3_10
.
Doubt he will find what he looks for in the contemporary lineup, though.
.

How about a Super Bee :)



Or an El Camino, with a cloth cover in the back?



"Isn't RandMart the old punk rock dude who had the crazy ex? Then this post checks out"
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buick LeSabre circa 2000 and later

My bike is a 650 and I had to take off the front wheel and remove the seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a CRV, and while my bikes can fit without taking the front wheel off, I actually prefer to do so. I find taking my front wheel off to be less of a chore than trying to gently lay the bike down on it's side and using up all your cargo space. I have a fork mount drilled into a 2x6 piece of wood to secure the bike upright and takes up minimal space. I just fold down the 40 side of the back seats.

Of course if I had an Element, you could do so with the bike standing up no problem. I wish they still made those.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can confirm this. Used my A7 to drive to Du Nats in SC in April from CT. Plenty of space for bike, wheels, and luggage for a couple of weeks trip. And easy to drive for that distance.

Get a used one coming off lease and take advantage of the massive depreciation these cars have during the first two or three years.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [TBV Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here with the Ford F150,
I have a Raptor and can push my back into the backseat area from the side with folded seats up. Secured with a strap to the headrest - bumm.. like a 30sec operation. I bought a fork hook and initally planned to put the back in the bay but never done this yet.
Especially the ecoboost engines are a blast...
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [tmcg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, thats tough. My TT bike fits easily, road bike is little tougher. Both have to be angled on the way in. Would suggest you physically give it whirl. Showroom staff should be cool with it if you have one close by.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it has been said before, and you have to buy it used, but we loooovee our Honda Elements...can stand 2 bikes in the back, wheels on, and still have plenty of room for gear.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’ve got a Mazda 3 Hatchback. Told the salesperson my only criteria for the car was the bike MUST fit in the back (hubby had other criteria ..) It actually fits 2 bikes, and all my tri stuff when we are driving to a race.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Or an El Camino, with a cloth cover in the back?


El Camino, El-El Camino

The front is like a car
The back is like a truck
The front is where you drive
The back is where you...put your bike?
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Scion IM, now branded a Toyota Corolla hatchback, which I could get all of my bikes in without taking any wheels off.
Caveat: my largest bike is 51cm.

We now have a Rav4 and a 4Runner, both of which will take at least two bikes inside stood up with the front wheels off. We use a Saris Triple Track rack, but you can achieve the same thing with a 2x4 and some fork clamps.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not certain about new Prius' but my older Prius with the seats down holds a 56cm fine without removing the wheels, also it has a slight bit more room than a VW Jetta wagon for flat space with seats down.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread would be more useful if it grouped cars into 3 classes:

1) Those in which you can secure the bike inside, standing up, with both wheels on. E.g., Honda Element, Ford F-150 supercrew, most vans, etc. If you can't roll it in and drive off, it doesn't make this group!

2) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off, but the bike seat straight UP and fork set in a fork lock (e.g., a Honda Fit believe it or not).

3) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off and the bike laying down. This is the least desirable option and describes many of the vehicles on this thread.

I have a 2010 Honda Element with 110,000 miles on it and am wondering what I'm going to do when it is no longer highway trustworthy. I've looked at the Ford F-150 and but it's too much vehicle for my everyday use and I don't want a VAN. I may have to look at Group 2 vehicles for the next car.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This thread would be more useful if it grouped cars into 3 classes:

1) Those in which you can secure the bike inside, standing up, with both wheels on. E.g., Honda Element, Ford F-150 supercrew, most vans, etc. If you can't roll it in and drive off, it doesn't make this group!

2) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off, but the bike seat straight UP and fork set in a fork lock (e.g., a Honda Fit believe it or not).

3) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off and the bike laying down. This is the least desirable option and describes many of the vehicles on this thread.

I have a 2010 Honda Element with 110,000 miles on it and am wondering what I'm going to do when it is no longer highway trustworthy. I've looked at the Ford F-150 and but it's too much vehicle for my everyday use and I don't want a VAN. I may have to look at Group 2 vehicles for the next car.
and category 4) bike laying down and both wheels on, Prius and Jetta wagon both are category 4 vehicles.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
This thread would be more useful if it grouped cars into 3 classes:

1) Those in which you can secure the bike inside, standing up, with both wheels on. E.g., Honda Element, Ford F-150 supercrew, most vans, etc. If you can't roll it in and drive off, it doesn't make this group!

2) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off, but the bike seat straight UP and fork set in a fork lock (e.g., a Honda Fit believe it or not).

3) Those in which you can secure the bike inside with the front wheel off and the bike laying down. This is the least desirable option and describes many of the vehicles on this thread.

I have a 2010 Honda Element with 110,000 miles on it and am wondering what I'm going to do when it is no longer highway trustworthy. I've looked at the Ford F-150 and but it's too much vehicle for my everyday use and I don't want a VAN. I may have to look at Group 2 vehicles for the next car.

and category
4) bike laying down and both wheels on, Prius and Jetta wagon both are category 4 vehicles.

Well since we are going there any way, the original ask was for category 4 - bike laying down with both wheels on.

I'd like to add category 5:
- Bike laying down with both wheels on AND the option to take the wheels off and stash frame and wheels in the trunk, seats up, bike effectively hidden. At the Oakland Triathlon last Sunday I was once again pleased with my Audi A6 b/c I could do this with my BMC TM01. So the car was a "category 4" on the way over and a "category 5" on the way home.
I am not sure the Audi Sportback can do #5 though can certainly do #4 I think.

Great discussion!
Quote Reply

Prev Next