Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny_G wrote:
thanks. Yeah. A7 an option too.

Totally; the A7 is probably perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
Get a Lincoln MKZ, I can fit my entire bike in my trunk, with the backseat down, without taking off the front wheel. Plus, fit an extra wheelset, pump, tools, helmet and bag with plenty of room to spare.

Test drove an MKZ and liked it a lot. It was actually 2nd behind the 335. I liked the exterior and interior styling of the MKZ better too, but ultimately it just felt a little too big for what I wanted at the time. That trunk space was massive tho!

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Last edited by: JourneyToGoPro: Mar 4, 19 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2018 BMW X3 no problem with seats down. Same with 2010 Audi A4 wagon/allroad.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
335i Truck is surprisingly big!!! Its much better then a M4.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always vote for this - it's just best for bike racing, triathlon, and travelling!
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
335i Truck is surprisingly big!!! Its much better then a M4.

Yeah, but so much more dynamic! But I've had my fun with a small two door rwd coupe I built in college (similar trap speed to an M4, but handled like crap if your goal wasn't to take corners sideways) and now I need room for an easily accessible car seat among other criteria.

johnnybefit wrote:
I always vote for this - it's just best for bike racing, triathlon, and travelling!

That as a 3rd vehicle might be my eventual solution. It's top on my list for a minivan. Particularly when I have more than one kid and they are older and have friends and stuff. Then maybe I could go back to a small 2 door coupe...

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had a minivan I would stop needing to rent hotel rooms.

Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dodge Challenger anyone? Does trunk even fit a TT bike?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my car (2012 Ford Escape) specifically so I could fit my bike inside, upright, but with the front wheel removed, AND with room for another passenger and enough space for overnight bags. I drop the 40 of the 60/40 backseats and in it goes. The 54cm P2 and my MTB both fit inside the car alongside a weekend's worth of camping gear (two coolers, firewood, plus actual sleeping stuff) for Wildflower last year. But both had front wheels removed.

I can also fit the bike in with all the seats dropped without removing the wheel, but I almost always have something else in my car and don't like to do this.

Interestingly, neither bike fits comfortably inside the newer model of the Escape, front wheel removed or not.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could fit any of my bikes in the rear of my 2dr saab 900 hatchback as long as the rear seats were folded down. The only one that was close to not fitting was a size large, stretched out FS 29er with chunky tires. It still went in with careful finessing.

But now, I went big. I have a sprinter, long wheel base high-roof. I am building a platform to hold 5 bikes upright (wheels on) and have 18" high of storage underneath them. There will be enough room for 2 more bikes behind the rear seat standing upright side to side or additional gear. It will hold up to 5 people and 7 bikes, all inside and out of the rain. OR, 2 people, 5 bikes and a queen sized air mattress.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can fit multiple bikes inside our 2015 Ford Escape. I'm 6"5, so I have xxl or 61cm bikes. I can fit any of them inside without taking the front wheel off, including my fs 29er, as long as I fold some seats down. I can fit four bikes in there, upright, if I remove the front wheels and the seatposts. I made a rack out of 2x4's and the quick release skewer mounts. With 2 people-4 bikes fit inside. 3 people-3 bikes. 4 people-2 bikes inside. Pretty good for a vehicle that gets 30 mpg and was cheap to buy.

Our other car is a Nissan leaf, which only fits one bike, and I have to take the front wheel off and fold the seats down. But it's better than a four door sedan for bike transport.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [fab.chr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at an event right now and saw with two MX-5s - an NA and an ND - both with hitch mounted bike carriers. I know that thi si off topic, but both had two bikes. So (presumably) two people, two bikes and one tiny trunk for a weekend cycling event. Thay have got to be efficient packers b/c the trunk on my ND will not hold much more than one carry-on bag... EDIT for clarification
Last edited by: giorgitd: Apr 26, 19 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah - fair enough for the newer model. I did not try too hard with the seats completely down (that wasn't the criteria I was following). But good to know! I also don't have the inclination to remove seat posts, so I have not tried that configuration. I do plan to make a rack with skewer mounts, so if you have any plans you'd like to share that would be awesome!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honda odyssey minivan. Still seats four family, and two bikes easy with wheels on. More with wheels off. It i great because you can put the bikes in the van, and go do your thing without worrying about safety, rain, or dirt from the highway.

It is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotton 2 tri bikes + camping (inc big cool box) and race gear + 3 adults in the back of my Skoda Octavia estate quite happily. Wheels were off for this, but without the 3rd adult there would've been ample room to keep them on.

Not sure if you get Skodas out your way, but it's basically a rebadged Audi A4/VW Passat wagon
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [WoodyES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ford Flex for the win. I can fit at least on TT bike and probably even sleep in that puppy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All yes:

BMW 3 series wagon
VW wagon
Volvo Wagon

Wagons are awesome. You can even stick a 60pound Boxer back there with the bikes without removing the wheels and groceries all at the same time. Plus you won't get called a soccer dad.

Everytime I pull into Trader Joe's I'm given ph #'s by single Mom's bc a wagon says safe, reliable, room for kids and sporty

Ok, maybe not every time or every 3rd time. Actually it just happened once.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
All yes:

BMW 3 series wagon
VW wagon
Volvo Wagon

Wagons are awesome. You can even stick a 60pound Boxer back there with the bikes without removing the wheels and groceries all at the same time. Plus you won't get called a soccer dad.

Everytime I pull into Trader Joe's I'm given ph #'s by single Mom's bc a wagon says safe, reliable, room for kids and sporty

which Volvo wagon though? as much as I like those wagons, the V60s are quite svelte (and not in a good way)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

50-51 mpg in the Spring and Summer so I can drive to all the events. Bike fits great with the rear seats folded down.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
All yes:

BMW 3 series wagon
VW wagon
Volvo Wagon

V-Dub Sportwagen FTW!!! 🏆

Looks good, rides great, toight German handling, surprisingly peppy due to turbo, and gets great gas mileage -
I just got 41+ mpg driving home from work last nite, my new PB.
And that’s with snow tires on it (I’m lazy and haven’t switched over yet)

Road, cx & TT bikes can fit inside super ez.

The fatty & 29’er trail bikes are a much tighter fit, but I scoot the passenger seat forward a bit, and they’ll juuuust make it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2019 Subaru Impreza Wagon: Fits both my TT and road bike without taking off wheels
Quote Reply

Prev Next