Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open?
Quote | Reply
Honestly IMAZ would sell out in under an hour not long ago - have we reached a ceiling on price and value prop? Appeal to One and Done crowed? Depth of fields not very interesting for serious FOP? My first IM was 10 years ago... $480... what justifies more than 2x price point now.... perhaps the Econ 101 price/supply curve will indicate we will see price erosion in coming years?
Last edited by: scca_ita: Dec 12, 19 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's taken time to sell out the last few years..

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been several years since it sold out on the first day. 2015 I think. It still sells out within the first couple of weeks.

If we are going to bring Econ 101 into play, I would argue that the fact that it sells out quickly would indicate it is priced too low. Increase the price to $1200. Might take longer to sell out, but likely still would.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Dec 12, 19 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how many IM events are there now compared to 10 years ago?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a race sells out in a few days or a month before the actual race it is still sold out. While sell-out times may be interesting, I imagine that Ironman is looking at the bigger picture. E.g., for corporate owned races which accounts for most North American venues, what is the total annual participation and revenue less the direct expenses to host those events (aka, the gross margin)? Those year over year numbers is what I would really be interesting in seeing.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You also have to take into consideration on how may entrants they allow year over year. Wouldn't suprise me if WTC increased the number of participants for IMAZ from back in 2010 where it would sell out in an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im on the fence myself for IMAZ.

It’s been a few years since my last Ironman.

The cost isn’t the issue it’s the training.

It’s just a drag. That’s the crap thing about triathlon. It’s way too much training and it’s not that fun anymore.

Cycling is way more fun and the community rocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing. Field size has increased significantly in the couple of years. There were over 3400 people to start the race this year.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Website reports overall placing out of 2332. Where did you get 3400?
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
You also have to take into consideration on how may entrants they allow year over year. Wouldn't surprise me if WTC increased the number of participants for IMAZ from back in 2010 where it would sell out in an hour.

Absolutely! But on a micro level (a single ironman) increased participation at one venue may cannibalize participation from another. I'm sure they watch for that, but the main focus should still be on total participation per year for corporate-owned events.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:

It’s just a drag. That’s the crap thing about triathlon. It’s way too much training and it’s not that fun anymore.

Don't do it man! You are right.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Reactions wrote:

That’s my motivation! I’m signing up!
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [Hastiin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like you are both right.....about 3400 registered, but only about 2400 actually finished the race. Not sure how many started, but doing some math with a 9% DNF rate I would say about 2600 started. That would mean about 800 registered, but did not start...wow!
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [Hastiin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hastiin wrote:
Website reports overall placing out of 2332. Where did you get 3400?

Athlete Tracker indicates 3392 ... that would be registrations. So a substantial number of DNS/DNF. That's 31% seems pretty high even if the bulk of that is DNS??
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Reactions wrote:

That’s my motivation! I’m signing up!

lol, well when you're hating life and dreading the training (with 6 weeks still to go) feel free to bump this thread ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d be curious of the numbers without insurance these days. I know a handful in my area who took the insurance and rolled their entry to 2020.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many factors.
here might be a few but no one can be sure.

New races have pulled others over in place of this event. IMC, santa rosa, east coast races.

Some don't want to train for fall season races but earlier races in summer or spring.

The race is fast but can be a bore so they want more then the time split.

More people in the race can signing up.

The sign up date is just before xmas. What would the sign up be if right after receiving your tax return.

They can now do the 70.3 race there now and save money and actually run the whole course without walking.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Active volcano's.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Mike Riley announced at the start of the race that it was the largest field in North America this year. Can't remember if he said 2600 or 2800. I would assume that was the number of athletes that picked up their packets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are wising up and realizing that Ironman is stupid

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [dross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That yields a reasonable DNF rate for that course. But the DNS seems very high. Either way, IMAZ is not in any danger of going to the chopping block.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
It looks like you are both right.....about 3400 registered, but only about 2400 actually finished the race. Not sure how many started, but doing some math with a 9% DNF rate I would say about 2600 started. That would mean about 800 registered, but did not start...wow!

I think WTC is starting to sell race entries like airline tickets....they realize a certain percentage are guaranteed no-shows, so why not sell that many more entries and actually fill the race to capacity? I don't think it's great because the number of actual participants is higher overall
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:

I think WTC is starting to sell race entries like airline tickets....they realize a certain percentage are guaranteed no-shows, so why not sell that many more entries and actually fill the race to capacity? I don't think it's great because the number of actual participants is higher overall

I wouldn't be surprised if they're accumulating data (both internal and external) on entrants, working towards a future where they can predict the likelihood of each individual no-showing, and dynamically adjust the number of registrations they accept based on who actually registers.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:

Coach Cox always seems to knock out one of these for most IM races: https://www.coachcox.co.uk/...-kona-qualification/

You were close at 2,600 with 2,624 actual. Largest starting field since 2014 according to his stats. 11.5% DNF which means the rest were DNS. Crazy that nearly 800 people signed up and didn't race.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be inferred about why IMAZ is still open? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:

Coach Cox always seems to knock out one of these for most IM races: https://www.coachcox.co.uk/...-kona-qualification/

You were close at 2,600 with 2,624 actual. Largest starting field since 2014 according to his stats. 11.5% DNF which means the rest were DNS. Crazy that nearly 800 people signed up and didn't race.

I'll add some notes on my stats there.

Numbers are derived from the results data that Ironman put out (which includes DNS and DNF statistics these days). Exactly how they report these results has changed a little over the years and at times varied between races which has made the DNS statistics a little unclear in the past. The numbers are more consistent now though.

This year Ironman Arizona has 3392 sign-ups and 2624 athletes on the start line which gives a DNS rate of 22.6%. That's at the high end for Ironman, although races with over 3,000 entrants seem to also have higher DNF rates.

From what I can see in my database 10-15% of athletes being DNS is typical for Ironman, with some races going up to 20% DNS. Above 20% is less common (11 races in last 4 years) and it's only major changes to courses or race dates that pushes DNS above 30% (e.g. Florida 2018).

Without tracking much detail about individual athletes Ironman can reasonably expect between 10-15% of sign-ups won't actually make the start line and sell places accordingly. I'd definitely assume they're factoring this into their sales model for events.

Russ

--
Blog - Twitter - Coaching - Training Camps
Quote Reply

Prev Next