Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days?
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using Continentals, but last few didn’t last long at all and developed leaks around the valve stem and one split along the seam. Seems the quality control has dropped.

Need to order a bunch of tubes to restock, and wondering what other brands people are using with success?
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over the last 40 years, I haven't been able to find a correlation between brands, models and reliability.
Continental have lots of models, the "race" ones are the thinnest butyl tubes, hence more fragile.
If installed correctly, a butyl tube can last forever. In fact, I have tubes in my wheels that are older than I can remember...
My two cents would be:
Choose the biggest size tube that can enter in your tire: For example, not a 18-23mm but either a 23-25mm or a 23-28 mm in a 23 or 25 mm tire. Less stretched tubes tend to last longer.
Don't put too much pressure in your tires. 90 to 105 PSI is plenty depending on your weight and tire size.
Don't ride with big groups. Or stay in the front. MOst flats happen when you ride over potholes or big cracks, road debris you actually didn't see or have the time to avoid. That's why I hate group rides.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use latex full time in all my wheels. So, I train in my full trim race gear 100% of the time. Then, I just have some generic butyl tubes I found cheaply on Amazon that I use for spares. They work great, and I pull them out after a ride with a flat. I have only flatted once in the four years since I went all latex.
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had a tube fail on me and I always buy cheap. Guess I'm just lucky. Got some latex tube on the way for the TT bike so see how I get on with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vittoria latex ones ;)

But I do keep 80mm valve stem continental butyls for flat kits.
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I just use latex full time in all my wheels. So, I train in my full trim race gear 100% of the time. Then, I just have some generic butyl tubes I found cheaply on Amazon that I use for spares. They work great, and I pull them out after a ride with a flat. I have only flatted once in the four years since I went all latex.

^^^Yup. Same here. Maybe not "full trim race gear"part, or the once in 4 years for flats, but maybe more like the 1-2x per year (averaging ~5-6K miles/year, with a high of 8K a few years ago). Works for me. "Life is too short to ride crappy rolling tires/tubes" :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 9, 19 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to year 2019, where we finally have viable solid tires, made by Tannus. Perfect for training wheels. No change kits, no pumps. Why haven't you adopted them..?
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
vittoria latex ones ;)

Ditto.
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Welcome to year 2019, where we finally have viable solid tires, made by Tannus. Perfect for training wheels. No change kits, no pumps. Why haven't you adopted them..?

See the quote at the end of my last post...

Also, you must have a VERY different definition of "viable" than I do ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:

You have personal account they are crappy? To me same CRR as gatorskins. Life is to short to be changing flats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Butyl: Michelin makes decent ones. I think Airstop is the name. It's been a while.

Latex: Magnums are the only ones that fit and that's only if I stretch it out.
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:

You have personal account they are crappy? To me same CRR as gatorskins. Life is to short to be changing flats

If the Crr is that bad, then no need for a "personal account". Also, see my post above as to how often I'm changing flats with my current setup.

In the last 4 years I've averaged ~400 hours/year of riding. I'm not going to be riding around on stuff that feels like a garden hose (and is dog slow) ALL THE TIME in an attempt to avoid 5-10 minutes of repair per year :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin A1 Aircomp Ultra Light.

They come with a smooth valve stem, which works well with a Silca pump. You can buy them with a 60 mm long stem so you won't need a valve extender for most training (and some race) wheels.

Don't worry about the "ultra light" wording. They're as durable as any other butyl tube that you'd ever want to use.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
To me same CRR as gatorskins. Life is to short to be changing flats

Life is too short to ride Gatorskins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always run latex on my tri bike but haven't made the switch yet on my road bike and gravel bike. For both of those, I am using Schwalbe butyl tubes and they have been great. When my butyl tube backstock runs low (or when bored and looking for a project...), I'll probably switch to latex and tubeless respectively.

Conti butyls have been a problem for me previously but maybe that was just luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:

If the Crr is that bad, then no need for a "personal account". Also, see my post above as to how often I'm changing flats with my current setup.

In the last 4 years I've averaged ~400 hours/year of riding. I'm not going to be riding around on stuff that feels like a garden hose (and is dog slow) ALL THE TIME in an attempt to avoid 5-10 minutes of repair per year :-/

You have luck on your side. I am paid to ride. If not riding, not getting paid (bike messenger)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:

You have luck on your side. I am paid to ride. If not riding, not getting paid (bike messenger)

...I thought this thread was about training wheels though...not working. You know, riding "for fun" :-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 9, 19 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
I always run latex on my tri bike but haven't made the switch yet on my road bike and gravel bike.
I switched to latex tubes on my gravel bike.

Vittoria 26er tubes, in 2" tires... when the stash runs out, gone forever...
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Over the last 40 years, I haven't been able to find a correlation between brands, models and reliability.
Continental have lots of models, the "race" ones are the thinnest butyl tubes, hence more fragile.
If installed correctly, a butyl tube can last forever. In fact, I have tubes in my wheels that are older than I can remember...
My two cents would be:
Choose the biggest size tube that can enter in your tire: For example, not a 18-23mm but either a 23-25mm or a 23-28 mm in a 23 or 25 mm tire. Less stretched tubes tend to last longer.
Don't put too much pressure in your tires. 90 to 105 PSI is plenty depending on your weight and tire size.
Don't ride with big groups. Or stay in the front. MOst flats happen when you ride over potholes or big cracks, road debris you actually didn't see or have the time to avoid. That's why I hate group rides.

This^

LOL he asks for butyl and gets latex, etc. So typical of our tribe.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
louisn wrote:
My two cents would be:

This^

LOL he asks for butyl and gets latex, etc. So typical of our tribe.

Actually, he asked what butyl tubes everyone was using for training...and many of the responses were that we don't use butyl tubes for training, just for pack spares.

So...what butyl tubes am I using for training purposes? I'm not. That's still a valid answer :-P

Quote Reply
Re: What butyl tubs is everyone using for training wheels these days? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
vittoria latex ones ;)

I am also using latex, but I pulled the valve and put 1 oz. of stan's in them.

Got a flat a few weeks ago. Hit it with an air cartridge and I have still been riding it. I think the Stan's filled it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:

...I thought this thread was about training wheels though...not working. You know, riding "for fun" :-)

Is changing flats fun? I'm sure he is looking for most bomb proof set up. My option you don't have to pump your tires before ride, or carry change kit... Just ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Is changing flats fun? I'm sure he is looking for most bomb proof set up. My option you don't have to pump your tires before ride, or carry change kit... Just ride.

The 0.04% of my riding time spent dealing with a flat is easily well worth not having to ride garden hoses ALL the rest of the time...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
vittoria latex ones ;)

^^^This!

Better pinch and puncture resistance. Faster. Better ride? Just have to pump them up every day.
Quote Reply