Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What body parts do you shave?
Quote | Reply
Some male triathletes shave their legs. They provide many reasons, but excluding vanity it is on the main similar to the reasons that cyclists have. But triathletes also swim and removal of body hair from swimmers has long been performed as a procedure that has been claimed to produce faster times. Whilst some argue that indeed shaving a swimmer’s body produces faster times due to the psychological impact of motivating the guy (scared to look so sleek but being slow), other believe that shaving reduces the drag in the water. For example, in one study a group of (hairy) swimmers was tested on two consecutive days. On the second day their arms, legs and torsos were shaved. The researchers found that blood lactate accumulation was significantly reduced by an average of 23%-28% by shaving (variance is dur to variance in speed). In another study it was found that shaving off body hair didn't make muscle cells contract more powerfully but it did increase the distance travelled per stroke by a 5%, probably because shaving decreases the 'drag' on a swimmer's body.

Of course in many triathlons we use a wetsuit and the subject of drag as a function of body hair becomes irrelevant. And once again, some males shave their body in order to be what they perceive as more attractive (or what they perceive will be perceived by others as more attractive).

My question is – do you shave any body parts other than your face (and legs). If you do, then why? How do you do it?

Pluto
Quote Reply
Re: What body parts do you shave? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing, but I'm young and not hairy =D

I'm not too worried though, my dad doesn't have a lot of hair either.

If I were to shave though, it'd be the legs + chest (maybe wax *horror*). Legs for massages and stuff, and the chest because chest hair is ugly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Face, Head, Legs, Butt, just about whatever I feel like shaving.

-Use the Mach III Turbo, anything else is daterape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shave my face, and too often. I shave daily to fit the employer's code of conduct (I grow facial hairly at a good rate). I would prefer to shave every 3 days (or just trim the stubble) and go through life with the Bruce Willis type stubble. It's comfortable and I like the look.

I don't have a hairy back, I do have some chest hair, and I have hairy legs, and a hairy rear. If you see someone that matches that description and looks like Mel Gibson, then introduce yourself. I'd like to meet you (don't hug me, LOL). [Do I really need to mention that me looking like Mel is what some people would call "wishful thinking"?]

If I get to a point in racing where my leg hair is the only thing keeping me from winning, I'll shave it. Until then ... what's the point? I'm not gonna shave my legs and go from 47th to 3rd.

---------------------------------

I had a frind tell me that shaving your armpits made you sweat less, so rather than doing some research on it, I tried it.

I might as well have put battery acid in my armpits, b/c the next day it burned the same. I'd imagine some folks saw me walking with my arms out a little further and commented "Look that dude's walking like he's a muscle beast" (the whole "carrying luggage" walk some guys seem to do).

I didn't sweat less.

I do keep the armpits trimmed with clippers, for the appearances in public.

I have no problem with grooming, but complete shaving seems a little out there in an nonmasculine way (opinion).

-----------------------------------

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: What body parts do you shave? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shave my legs during race season simply to look cool. (Cool to triathletes maybe, very weird and to most everyonre else).

Yes this is going to sound weird and be the subject of bawdy jokes, but before you go to swim next time, lightly go over your palms with a razor. You strip off a couple unnecessary layers of dead skin, and you're left with a much more sensitive feel for the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the waist down...I shave everything!
Quote Reply
Re: What body parts do you shave? [trent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my yrs of tri's I have only shaved my face and that stopped as a regular thing when I retired. Like FLA jill says some of my friends say it gives a better feel for the water but this seems like it would deminish after doing it for a while. Some friends say shaving their body makes them cooler(temp) and I can understand this with a fresh shave but then the layers of dead skin began to build up unless you shave daily. Another reason people give is road rash heals better but mine heals just fine with a good scrub and tlc. Looking at my friends that shave I would say it's mainly vanity and to do something to be noticed.

POWER TO THE HAIRY
Quote Reply
Re: What body parts do you shave? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hairy like the wildebeest, and I shave only my face and neck. The neck is so no one can pick me up by the scruff.

A group of physicists has determined that I am so hairy that I could survive reentry into Earth's atmosphere as long as the angle of attack was less than 50 degrees. Any steeper and I might lose a layer of epidermis.

When I was in basic training, many years ago, my drill instructor made me shave twice daily so I would pass afternoon inspections.

The only three people I know who are hairier are Sasquatch, a Yeti, and my brother-in-law.

I recently started using an electric razor, and it gives me a much smoother shave than my old twin blade, or even the Mach 3, did. You might give it a try. With the Panasonic ES9082, which I bought because it is wet/dry, I shave at 6:30 AM, and my face is still smooth at 5 PM.

You should give it some thought.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: What body parts do you shave? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the ones I'm going to put in the freezer.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply