Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What bike to buy for $5k?
Quote | Reply
I have two friends that are looking to buy new tri bikes with all of the bells and whistles they can get. Their requirements are almost identical. They are both looking for something around $5k with electronic shifting. The only difference is that one friend has race wheels (Zipp 404/808) and the other is looking to pick up race wheels as part of the new bike.

My first thought was Canyon Speedmax CF for the friend that needs to get race wheels in the deal. Is there a better option out there? Maybe something with a disc brake?

I'm not sure what to recommend to the friend that has non-disc brake race wheels who could theoretically stretch her budget farther by not needing to spend money on race wheels at the moment.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had a $5k budget, and already had race wheels, I'd look at a Felt IA10 and an Orbea Ordu M20iTeam. The latter is $6k list, but I'd bet you can get one for something close to $5k.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet you could find a new 2018 Felt IA 16 around or below $2400 asking around and haggling. about $1100 for di2 from some british website, leaves you about $1500 for race wheels. probably a bit more if you sell the 105 groupset you take off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Premier Tactical 2.0 is $5690. A little above budget, but a very, very fast bike. If it fits and meets storage needs, it's a great option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Best Bang for Buck at the $6k price point is Giant. Comes with crank based power: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...inity-advanced-pro-1

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The Best Bang for Buck at the $6k price point is Giant. Comes with crank based power: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...inity-advanced-pro-1

But a power meter doesn't make a slow bike go faster..... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

It's a super cool bike (and the included storage/fluid holder is neat), but having seen both that and the Premier Tactical in person, it's Premier Tactical hands down if the person in the OP could spend closer to 6k.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great package, I can't get over the name though...I try to look as civilian as possible these days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
That's a great package, I can't get over the name though...I try to look as civilian as possible these days.

We're still talking about bikes, right?
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the veal I'm here all week......................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Premier Tactical. Fast, stable, easy to work on/travel with, hard case included, incredible customer service, and if that isn't enough...

(drops mike)
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [rahciao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So...what'd you do with the wheels?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought the bike without them. I didn't have anything against the stock wheels, have actually read some nice reviews of them, but I have Hed Blacks for their braking capability and really like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Premier Arrow 1.0 is under $5k.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desertdude, whose opinion you should definitely trust more than mine, got to work with the Tactical up close in the aero shootout a while back, and has also mentioned on the forum that as far as bang for the buck goes, it is an outstanding choice.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends what their bike measurements are. I got a retul fit from a Level 4 master Retül fitter, and the Canyon, Felt, Scott, and cannondales didn’t fit me. I’d based on fit first.

However, to answer your question... Quintana Roo. The fit range on their bikes is outstanding, and a MASSIVE amount of riders can fit on them. More than almost any other company I can think of. The QR PR5 Ultegra Di2. Disc or rim brake, whichever you want. $5,400 for rim, $6,100 disc. However, go talk to the guys/gals at MBS (My Bike Shop). USAT members can get discounts, and they have incentives on a lot of their bikes.. their relationship with QR is like Yoda and Luke Skywalker. I can tell you now, a PR5 disc Di2 will be pretty much right near $5k.... shipped to your front door 90% assembled, in a reusable and shippable box of you're going to travel with it. QR is also the easiest bike out there to wrench on, especially when traveling with it. I just bought a PR6 Disc Di2 from MBS and it was a HELL of a discount off MSRP... that’s all I’ll say. 👍 That’s my .02
Last edited by: CarbonPothole: Oct 18, 18 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comes with a hard case for transport?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2

Comes with full Ultegra groupo
DT Swiss Carbonwheelset 60/80mm combo
no taxes
$80 shipping

$5,080 total OTD

If you pony up a little more I think the CF SLX frame is $559 more (according to Canyon). thats roughly the same frame that Frodo/Lange rides....
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Arrow version comes with the case. Mine (the Tactical) did.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also a very nice looking package, and one I definitely looked at. I did prefer how the Tactical hid all cabling though, and how I was able to exclude wheels from my purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P2. add on a PM, race wheels and a bar upgrade. reroute the rear brake cable to enter behind the stem, add a bento box and a pair of tririg brakes, and you're set.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I would definitely look at something in the QR range. Not saying don't look at others as well, but the QR range is really placed well across triathlete's range of needs. The PR6 is a pretty good value for the top end, and the PR5 gets you most of that performance, with a more flexible, standard front-end approach. I've been on a PR6 since 2016 now, and I consider it the best tri bike I've ever owned (of about 20 going back to the 1980s, and including many of the top end models in that timeframe). If you get the "race" versions, you get Reynolds Strike wheels, which are really nice, fast, and stable in winds

I'm highly considering the new PR6 Disc version if I decide for new with electronic shifting. It's that good and that easy to deal with for maintenance and travel. The things that are good about it transfer down the range all the way to the PR3 series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that they are having you do their shopping, I'm -guessing- they aren't going to be comfortable working on their own bikes, etc?
Maybe they should consider buying a brand that one of their LBS's carries and supports?

Regardless, Trek SC frameset - 3300 full msrp, leaves 1700 to go towards di2 and aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike to buy for $5k? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is what I did except I used Magura brakes. Ended up with powermeter (P1s), race wheels (Flo), PD ultimate aeria for right around $5k

There is also a P5 for sale in classified for $3,400 if it fits....can be around $5k even after adding powermeter and wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt IA 3 Disc
Quote Reply

Prev Next