Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX?
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I had back surgery and am prone to nerve 'burn' while riding on my road bike. While in Afghanistan I have been riding more of a spin bike in a more triathlon position albeit with very little drop and have had no pain. So I started shopping and hopefully finding a good deal on a smaller framed (my road is a 58 soloist) 56 tri bike.

I think I have narrowed down on new and used point to the Lucero, P2C and the TTX (last 2 years).

Any opinions on these choices for back trouble and not an infinite budget, perhaps $2500-3000 for complete bike?

How about better choices?

B

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX? [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 Vote for TitanFlex (yes I ride one, no I don't work for them). Beam bikes are typically popular with the sore back set due to the extra comfort (the TFs don't seem to bob like other beams, but do take the edge off bumps), and the tremendous adjustability. I got my frame used (eBay) and was able to build my Ultegra racing rig (incl. carbon wheels) for under $2K.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott Plamsa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hello all,

I had back surgery and am prone to nerve 'burn' while riding on my road bike. While in Afghanistan I have been riding more of a spin bike in a more triathlon position albeit with very little drop and have had no pain. So I started shopping and hopefully finding a good deal on a smaller framed (my road is a 58 soloist) 56 tri bike.

I think I have narrowed down on new and used point to the Lucero, P2C and the TTX (last 2 years).

Any opinions on these choices for back trouble and not an infinite budget, perhaps $2500-3000 for complete bike?

How about better choices?

B

Dunno. But thank you for your service and I hope your back improves.

Proud to post only occasionally.

http://tribomber.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX? [bomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate that.

My back is actually better than it once was but will likely be a pain in the ass (literally and figuratively) for many years to come...but I will no longer let it stop me from pursuing tris.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttx has high stack-maybe that is your best bet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a bike recommendation but I suggest you consider shorter cranks. Obviously I know nothing about your situation but here is my situation. I have a ruptured disc (L4/L5) that pinches a nerve and it causes pretty good butt and leg pain. I switched from 175 to 170 cranks about 8 months ago and it has helped. When in aero position a shorter crank arm will put less stress on your back.

I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Quote | Reply
That's good info...anyone know if there is any basis to this? I am also moving from a 58 road to a 56 tri to also hopefully alleviate some of the stretched out back pain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably the Trek. And use higher stack aerobars (like the bontragers it comes with). But you really ought to look at the Blue Triad and Scott Plasma, as they both run shorter/taller than just about anything else. It really depends on which size Trek you'd fit.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered converting your soloist to a tri setup?
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did consider it but I am riding a 58 which at 6'2-3 is the right size for but it was not overly comfortable, not bad but not comfortable. One of the best things on that set up was that the clip ons sat higher and I had to reach less. But it is an 03 soloist and I think some carbon for a little bit more absorbtion is called for. Of course I don't want to lose the rigidity of the BB as a bigger guy.

I am looking at moving to the 56 in the tri for most models something with a bit more height in the cockpit and carbon. The 56 should alleviate my stretched out position on a 58 tri bike and less drop should also help out. At least thats my theory.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at the Blue Triad SP? They have some nice stack numbers for us everyday triathletes, plus the small rear triangle and the BB30 would probably really make for great power transfer. The more I look at Blue the more I like them. I really like that they are now not only a sponser of USAT but are helping out local triathlons to (see Chicago triathlon). For $2700 you get the same frame as the Triad (but with adjustable seat) and SRAM parts.

Blue SP stack
53.9, 55.8 and 57.7 for the M, ML and LG sizes
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX? [luv2flyjrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the Blue but I don't have the money to buy a full new bike and there almost no used ones out there

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can definately understand the money thing. Though the Triad SP is a full bike at $2700. But just thought I would add to your list ;-). Good luck with your search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triad SP direct from rideblue.com $2770 (sorry I was off $70). Same carbon as the Triad, SRAM Rival parts with FSA Gossamer BB30 and the cool hidden tektro r725 brake. Though if there is a dealer near you, you can always vist them and ask them about the bike. Check out the website then click on the "Buy Now" button. I am going to pick one up myself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P2C.

09 Cervelo P3
09 Pinarello Prince
10 Stevens Carbon Team
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX? [pharding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a fellow back pain sufferer I would first suggest obtaining a properly sized bicycle and couple that with a stretching and strengthing program. The small amount of stretching that I performed in the past helped tremendously in lower back comfort, and more recently my strenghtening program is helping as well. Additionally, my first was a 56 road bike, but I experienced a great increase in comfort when moving to a 54 tri bike and more recently to a 54 road bike.

Even though I am setup lower in the front on the tri bike, it is actually more comfortable for me when setup in the FIST position, due to I believe, the steeper seat tube, thus enabling a more obtuse or greater hip angle.

I can't say enough about the comfort of my aluminum P2SL, so I am sure the P2C would be great as well. But I really shouldn't comment on that or any of the others due to lack of experience.

What I can point out, as a few other did, are a few bike setup techniques that have helped me tremendously and may help you as well.

First: Saddle positioning.
- Move it as far forward as possible. This will have a hip angle increasing effect.

Second: Short cranks.
- I have 165's on my road as well as tri bike, but you can find some custom even shorter (all the way to 140's, I believe) from sites such as www.harriscyclery.com . This may be worth looking into.. Testing, I believe, actually shows no appreciable loss of power with respect to crank length, and again benefits may be found in comfort and potentially aerodynamics by allowing more time on the aerobars.

What this accomplishes is a raising of the saddle (the distance at the bottom of the pedal stroke to the top of saddle is decreased) as well as lowering the foot (due to the shorter crank length) at the top of the pedal stroke (this in effect increases the hip angle as well).

The combination of these two effects is significant.

Below is a quick Paint screenshot to try to graphically capture and get across the comprehensive idea. Notice the difference in angles between the red line and the blue. This seemingly small difference proves actually quite significant for myself with respect to back pain.

Additionally with all of the above suggestions, I would add that a few extra spacers and possibly an upturned stem may help out as well. Just take a look at Chris Lieto's stack (arm pad height) from this year in Kona (had one of the fastest, if not fastest- can't remember- bike splits in the field...)

Good luck- I think your back will be better off with consistent exersion.

Thank you.

Regards,

goals, personal:
- under same username post st rr of Kona m80-84ag mop, tail end of the dopers finish
- shoot age from tips on par 72
- beat SuperDave in one-on-one
all within single wk- Viva Chopin, Fryderyk; Faulk, Peter; Helmsley, Sherman; Palillo, Ron; Rogers, Fred McFeely; Sanford, John Elroy; Snuka, Jimmy- and the water bottle isn't half fuller on the other side
Last edited by: nujeff: Jan 17, 10 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are certainly some of the changes I was planning on. My 58 road bike did not feel right even when I turned it into a tribike (soloist) I always feel stretched. I was fitted on both my soloist and on my old P3SL (gone) On the P3 I was FIST fitted but it did not helpa nd in fact I went worse. I think moving into a 56 tribike and shortening my crank from a 175 to at least 172 should make a difference. My plan was also to have the stack (I guess thats the term) almost equal to my saddle. When I first started out I had 57 P3 with 650 wheels and this bike actually felt pretty damn good. I also think that it had 172 cranks. Wellnow I just have to find a good used 56 tri bike in a p2 or one of the others to try out.

Quote Reply
Re: What bike for bad back? P2C, Lucero, TTX? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Titanflex. Soaks up the bumps instead of them being transmitted directly thru the seattube to your back.

George

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know if you ever ride a Blue. I am very eager to get mine and put a few miles on it. I have never heard a bad review of the bike yet.
Quote Reply