Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks?
Quote | Reply

Help! I’m considering getting a trainer as well as Power Cranks to maximize the workouts. What I don’t know is whether I should just put the PCs on my Soloist (my only road bike) and use that on the trainer, or get a cheap bike (used or on sale) for riding on the trainer.

One reason would be not wanting to have to switch back and forth between the PCs and my regular FSA crank if I didn’t want to do a race with the PCs, or just wanted to ride outdoors with the regular crank. How big of an ordeal is it to swap the cranks? I’m by no means a wrench, being new to the bike world, so I wouldn’t want to screw it up or have to go back and forth to the LBS. I know Frank would say "Don’t take the PCs off" but I would plan to use them primarily for training indoors. Who knows, maybe once I get used to them I would want them for all training indoor and out…

Also, I’ve seen the threads about whether riding a lot on a trainer stresses a bike frame. Seems like more STers think that’s an urban legend, but I’d hate to do anything that might harm the Soloist.

Are there any other factors to consider? Obviously, it’s more expensive to get another bike, and set-up and fit would also be different on a second bike than on the one I would use for tri’s.

I won't even bring up the "Rollers v. Trainer" issue….that one's been dealt with more than enough on ST...

I'd appreciate any suggestions, etc. Thanks,

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [MB First Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my PC's on my Velotron. I just did my first hour on the PC's. Tough but only took me a week.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [MB First Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the winter, just put the PC's on the Soloist and go with exclusive use. Initially this is the only way to go. In April, put the regular cranks back on and then you can buy a cheap frame, wheels and minimal components and slap together a trainer specific PC bike.

But initially don't even think of going back and forth. You really need to spend exclusive time on PC's. Now, 3 years later, I go back and forth without any issues, but in the first year, even if I took the PC's off for a race weekend, it was tough getting back onto them and riding smoothly.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. One thing that I didn't mention is that I live in the Los Angeles area so I'm not limited to indoors for the winter. So the trainer would be primarily for the weekdays, which don't work for outdoor rides b/c of limited daylight, work and other commitments like coaching my kids' teams. I figure I can get much more benefit in less time and more often with a trainer at home than driving to the gym and using an indoor bike there.

So I would still plan to ride outdoors on weekends. How long does it take to get used to the PCs such that you can ride well outside? How difficult are they for climbing, descending, turning, etc? One of my outdoor goals is to get better at the different climbs in the PV area right near me. If it's a quick learning curve to get used to PCs and they don't slow you down too much (I still want to have fun!), then I think your suggestion makes the most sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PC's do take some getting used to outside. It is difficult to reclip into them and start going on a steep uphill. Be very careful going over speed bumps (you need to remain seated and maybe lift both cranks). You can't stand up much - both legs are at 6 o'clock and you're barely off the seat. I felt a bit more sketchy on downhills. You can not bunny hop. Its a little harder to start once you stop and unclip. Just remember that you can't put the pedals at 3 and 9 o'clock and stand.....

Can you do it - yes but its definitely a bit more dangerous. I rode exclusively indoors and out but mainly on very light traffic roads (just because its where I live). I wouldn't want to ride around PV with them personally, but I don't even like riding my tri bike that much around PV - I much prefer my road bike....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My suggestion is that you purchase an older used 9 spped bike for a few hundred $$ and put them on there so you will have your pristine racing bike and your training bike. The best part is when you will start passing other athletes on your beater training bike with your POwerCranks on it while others riding a $5-7K machine will notbe able to keep up with you. Use them as much as you can during the winter, do not worry about your cadence at first while you are getting used to them. Your cadence on your regular cranks will automatically improve and with time even your Powercranks cadence. Have fun, be safe when stopping and starting and be smooth when standing out of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Get a Beater Bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the vote to get yourself a second bike and put the PCs on it. Especially in a hilly area with traffic, I wouldn't want to go outside on my PCs until I was very used to them. They DO take some getting used to and the handling is completely different.

I've got my PCs on my old Trek road bike I ride during the week and then get on my tri-bike on the weekend for the group rides. I know this goes against everything Frank says, but I still think I get some benefit. I could never keep up with the weekend riding group if I were to use my PCs (I know . . . I know . . . If I used them exclusively I probably could, but mine "skip" on me - i.e. the ratchets don't catch and my pedal just goes straight to the bottem - when I really try to hammer or stand up on steep hills. I have almost killed myself on them a couple times when it happened, so now I don't ride them unless I know I can stay seated the whole time).
Quote Reply
Re: Get a Beater Bike [Poorsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should send them back to Frank to fix that problem. Talk about not inspiring confidence. If mine ever develop clutch problems I'm mailing them back to Dr. Day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can switch out the new model cranks in a few minutes. However, I find that the more often I switch back and forth, the more likely the spindle adapter is likely to loosen. I don’t even do that anymore because I have two sets, one for training and the X-lites for racing and I can switch those in about two minutes. If you are going to ride the regular cranks sometimes, I would recommend a second bike.

I would recommend riding them outside as soon as you can. Some people can stand riding them on a trainer, but any indoor riding is not fun for me. You do have to be a little cautious in the beginning, but after a while riding them becomes second nature.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guys at PC will get them repaired for you quite fast. They have a form loaded on the contact page of their website that you can print and enclose with your cranks if you decide to send them in for service.

As far as taking them outside, yes, I found them much easier outdoors than on a trainer, however weather might be an issue depending where you live. This is why I think that bying a cheap used bike for Powercranks is the best way to go because on those sunny but wet and muddy days you might be more likely to ride them outside than if they were on your brand new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [tessitori] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I have had mine for three years. I didn't know I could have returned them for repair up to two years - the old website was very cumbersome and I don't recall ever seeing anything about being able to send them back for repairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use them exclusively for a few months, and then swap as needed. It's pretty easy to swap the cranks (If I can do it, then anyone can).

I have to say that I really think the trainer-is-bad-for-the-bike-frame idea is a myth. If the stress of a trainer is enough to harm the frame, then I don't think I trust the frame when hitting a bump at 40mph. Just get some sort of sweat cover for the bike to protect the finish. Sweat is damn corrosive stuff.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I have my PC's on my Velotron. I just did my first hour on the PC's. Tough but only took me a week.

Dave[/reply]

Already up to an hour, eh? Nice. How do they feel? How do you like the velotron? Damn, I wish I lived in northern cali, then I'd take you up on your offer of a test ride! I think I'm getting a CT this winter. I saw in another post of yours that you had a lot of tire blowouts on the CT? Was that because of the heat generated? That doesn't sound pleasent to me.

To answer a question of yours from last week, yes, I do have rotor cranks, and I love them. I've got PCs on my road bike, and I've got rotors on my tri bike (how I'm lucky enough to have two bikes, I'll never know). It's hard to quantify exactly how much faster the rotors are, but they are definitely faster. Normal gear last year with no rotors (and before PCs): 53x17.
Normal gear now: 54x16. So that's something!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Yes, there aren't too many "light traffic roads" around here, that's for sure! From home, I either ride south up into PV, or north up Vista del Mar and beyond. I like PV better because of the hills and less traffic/better routes than heading north. I know I would worry about the hills, as well as stoplights/signs, especially with not having years of bike handling experience in the first place. I can just picture myself crumpled up in a ball on the side of the road, Soloist with Power Cranks lying next to me, and someone passes by on their bike, sneering "Poser!" at me. ;-)

- Steve
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have my PC's on my Velotron. I just did my first hour on the PC's. Tough but only took me a week.

Dave
So are you still going to ride outdoors, are are you planning to train indoors exclusively for a while? By the way, I think many STers are very covetous of your Velotron...
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [tessitori] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What "minimum standards" should I look for in a beater bike?
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE the velotron. It is so close to how riding a real bike outdoors feels. Plus, no setup issues, just flip the switch and ride. I know the power accuracy will be the same for each ride. I just had a friend on mine come over and ride it. He bought a CT after I got mine and he may sell and buy a velotron also. I need to have him try with my locked PC's though. After minute on the PC's, his hamstring was hurting.

I just put my PC's to 200mm and rode. Felt great. Could I prove a difference. Not sure, but clearly with a 37 inch inseam, riding and cranks folks much shorter ride with does not make sense. I was able to change them back to 175's in 10 seconds from my friend to ride.

The few days I tried the PC's, I was bummed and thought did I do something dumb. But, I heard too many positives to not keep at it. Thats why yesterday and said it was time to tough it out!! I stopped a few times to just regain feelings in my butt, stretch my back, but I was basically spinning for a full hour. I am sold!! Since the trainer is to train, I do not see how anyone would not want PC's on at the same time. I do not have extra time to spend doing one legged drills!!

I do not know if on the CT with blowing intertubes if there was something wrong with my rim or tire. For the money, the CT is a much more value way to GO!! But, since I can not take my money with me, I might as well have the best toys before I get too old to do this anymore.

Yes, would love to have anyone stop by if they are in the area to try the Velotron with the adjustable PC's. Another neat piece is I can adjust the seat angle from 72 to 82 degrees in seconds. I can adjust the position of the handle bars up and down and seconds, as well as the effective stem length!! All of which I can use to help me build my new bike!!

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weather here yesterday was 80 plus degrees and I did my riding indoors on the Velotron with PC's. I have one more race on Sunday, and after that, I plan to sell my HED aero Vo3 bike and then make a custom one with higher BB and longer cranks. Leaning to trying the titanflex. (I love to try new things, especially when the "experts" say beam bikes are junk :o) ) I crashed and broke my collar bone last year. I have had plenty of near misses on my bike lately. I have flatted without a spare and had to walk two hours back to my car since no one would give me a ride. Etc. ,Etc. I can see doing all of my short bike training indoors for ever now. I still could not see doing "long" rides on any indoor trainer. I am going to set a TV up with a DVD player so I can try and watch movies while I spin on hopefully so 2 hour indoor rides.

I have been looking to get a velotron for years! With all the above stuff happening during the last year, it was just time to sell some stock and give me the tools to be safe and effective at trying to get better on the bike. I do okay on the run and swim, but, if I do not get better on the bike, my times are just going to get slower and slower.

By the way, basically I never go out to eat, I never buy new clothes or furniture, I never travel. I never buy new fancy cars. So, this is my reward. Plus, when I am done, I feel it should hold its value such that I will get most of my money back. Not many can say that about a car, etc.

Again, if you are in the northern Calif area, give me a call and come over for a ride.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What "minimum standards" should I look for in a beater bike?
I would choose a 9 speed bike with similar geometry to yours. Remember this is going to be a training bike, but you should train in the same manner as you train in terms of fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my PC's in April 2003. I used them on 8 or so 30 min roller rides before the third week of April at which point I ran Boston marathon. Then after that I got on the road and 4 weeks of owning PC's I rode 160K (100 miles) which was actually done a week after my second marathon in 3 weeks, so I did not have a lot of adaption time. I just sucked it up and rode and survived. Every ride, my hip flexors would blow later and later. First time I rode 90K, they blew at 70K then on the 120K ride, they blew at 100K of so and on the 160K ride, then blew at 130K. Each time, I had to take a long 5 min break and let my muscles rest up and then resume. That was actually part of the challenge. I wanted to get to 100 miles in a month or so of really riding outdoors. It was ugly, but it really helped me get over the hump. Riding them outdoors in all conditions becomes second nature within 10 days or so. After that, its the hip flexors, not bike handling.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [Du U Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Unfortunately, I have had mine for three years. I didn't know I could have returned them for repair up to two years - the old website was very cumbersome and I don't recall ever seeing anything about being able to send them back for repairs.[/reply]

Anyone can return theirs for repair whether they got them from us or someone else. If they are no longer under warranty a new clutch replacement costs $75. Hardly anything else ever breaks. There is a repair form at the web page to fill out and send in with the cranks.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
things a perfect PC should have:

1. clearance for fat tires. nice big tires, run soft. takes up the hits that PC's do not let your legs take. more enjoyable miles. you go slower. who cares, you are training.

2. position close to, but not freak-close to yer racin bike. go ahead and let the bars be a little higher, it makes a big difference. lower them later if you want, or don't worry about it.

3. stable geometry. something like an older japanese sport touring bike. bonus here is the longer chainstays on these type bikes, letting you just focus on quality PC-ing, and nevermind the funky handling quirks that go a long with them. a nwer candidate might be a surly pacer, or long-haul-trucker. something like that.

4. a comfortable saddle, bro. for real, none of this arione or similar bullshit. something you can plant yer ass on and never unweight over bumps.

5. parts, who cares. the focus is the PC's. my current pC bike ( rivendell all-rounder ) has a 6 spd freewheel and friction bar-cons, derailleurs from and old mtn bike. whatever. they do the job and don't require anything other than a squirt of lube on the chain. it is a training bike, use old free sturdy stuff that - shock - works as good today as it did then. just get 1-4 down and things will dandy.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]things a perfect PC should have:

1. clearance for fat tires. nice big tires, run soft. takes up the hits that PC's do not let your legs take. more enjoyable miles. you go slower. who cares, you are training.

2. position close to, but not freak-close to yer racin bike. go ahead and let the bars be a little higher, it makes a big difference. lower them later if you want, or don't worry about it.

3. stable geometry. something like an older japanese sport touring bike. bonus here is the longer chainstays on these type bikes, letting you just focus on quality PC-ing, and nevermind the funky handling quirks that go a long with them. a nwer candidate might be a surly pacer, or long-haul-trucker. something like that.

4. a comfortable saddle, bro. for real, none of this arione or similar bullshit. something you can plant yer ass on and never unweight over bumps.

5. parts, who cares. the focus is the PC's. my current pC bike ( rivendell all-rounder ) has a 6 spd freewheel and friction bar-cons, derailleurs from and old mtn bike. whatever. they do the job and don't require anything other than a squirt of lube on the chain. it is a training bike, use old free sturdy stuff that - shock - works as good today as it did then. just get 1-4 down and things will dandy.[/reply]

You should be writing a bike column somewhere. Great advice. Only problem, who is going to hire someone who isn't devoted to justifying the more expensive stuff for everything.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: What bike do you use for your trainer and Power Cranks? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank, you are supposed to be getting some sleep for the big day tomorrow. I bet you could still sneak into the race. Maybe even stop by the McDonalds again just like old times. :o)

Oh, it is only 5:30 your time, I am just about ready to go to bed.

Have fun tomorrow!!

Love those power cranks!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Frank, you are supposed to be getting some sleep for the big day tomorrow. I bet you could still sneak into the race. Maybe even stop by the McDonalds again just like old times. :o)

Oh, it is only 5:30 your time, I am just about ready to go to bed.

Have fun tomorrow!!

Love those power cranks!!

Dave[/reply]

The nice thing about not doing the race is my pre race night is not to much different from my pre race night in '78, if I remember correctly - although that was so long ago my memory is starting to fade.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply

Prev Next