Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are your thoughts on this type of place....
Quote | Reply
There is a business by me I am intrigued by. Basically, it is spot you can go to use all of the different types of recovery tools: normatec boots, ice bath, hot tub, massage guns, stim therapy, etc. There are big, comfy lounge chairs, tv’s, magazines, and noise cancelling headphones that you can use while you sit there and use the recovery toys. I wasn’t able to find the exact price per month on their website, but my best guess is that it would be around $30-$50. Seems a bit steep at first thought (again, not sure on the exact fee), but I guess it’s not a bad price to pay to have access to all of the various (and expensive) different toys. I’m trying to decide if I would actually have the time to go to this place, or if I would just be dumping the monthly fee down the drain and never actually use it. Seems like an interesting resource, curious what everyone else thinks about it.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on this type of place.... [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicago Recovery Room supplies a similar service. I believe it’s either monthly or one off, single-session payments.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on this type of place.... [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May be interesting as a customer, but it's a terrible business idea.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad, but ...

Most of the general recovery aids like ice baths, compression boots, etc. do indeed aid and speed recovery. But they do so at a price: they also lessen the training effect an equal amount.

So, if speed is the goal, you really want to avoid them.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to go out and train, come home, eat, potentially clean my bike, then tell my family I'm going out again to recover? No.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a similar facility for awhile in Denver (no longer live there). I think a lot of those tools can be very effective, especially for those who have a history of injuries. It's a nice experience to go in there and put in the time taking care of yourself. You always feel so good after. It's like a spa for badass athletes.

TRIATHLON ART FOR YOUR PAIN CAVE: https://www.matthewmillerart.com/...art?category=Ironman
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on this type of place.... [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree with you. As an athlete I can see it being attractive to have the option to stop in once in a while, maybe pay the drop in fee 1-3x a month. Not sure If I can see myself paying what is essentially another gym membership every month just for the luxury. If I owned the place, that is exactly what I'd worry about... it would be tough to attain and keep a customer base. Is that what you mean?
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on this type of place.... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. So you are of the mindset that you should just allow your body to recover naturally, without any tools to speed it up or enhance it?
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on this type of place.... [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if it is conveniently located (like it is for me)? Ride/Run...stop by on the way home and jump in the boots, get home maybe 30-45 minutes later than I would have without stopping there. I fell like I would be refreshed for the rest of the day full of commitments, so it would be worth the extra time. Not sure if that's unrealistic and I'm rationalizing to myself or not. Would I actually stop there after a 2-3 hour run or 4-6 hour hour ride... I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:
Interesting. So you are of the mindset that you should just allow your body to recover naturally, without any tools to speed it up or enhance it?

While I would love to take credit for this, it is not exactly just my mindset. But, yes, it does appear that the scientific evidence to date seems to support this.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:

If your goal is to get faster and that's why you are training, then maybe. I've not seen a consensus on this, so perhaps the jury is still out. It is a hard thing to measure.

But you work out to create training stress, and the body's natural response to that stress is to supercompensate. This is why training works. Do we know that short-cutting that natural recovery doesn't undermine the beneficial response? The only studies I've ever seen point to recovery in the sense of being able to workout or perform again more quickly. I've not seen a study that looks at the longer term impact from a performance GAIN perspective (but as per DSW above I probably just haven't seen it).

I am fairly confident that there might be a benefit to artificial recovery in a competition situation.. e.g. an athlete competing numerous times at an Olympic games, or a track cyclist, or a triathlete in the super series or a cyclist in a grand tour. But I'm just not sure about in a long-term progressive overload training scenario.

I don't class nutrition as an artificial recovery aid, by the way.

Anyway, the whole point of nailing myself in training is to create stress, so I'm not sure why I would then hurry to undo it unless I've seen consensus in the sports science community that I still get my supercompensation.

My duex centimes, other views will vary.

Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Dec 1, 18 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a place in Bend Oregon called "Recharge"- They are exactly what you speak of.
Lots of types of recovery aids- Normatec, Game Ready ice machines, hot/cold baths, sauna, un-weigthed running pools. They also offer massage, PT, and have a gym.
Recharge offers a weekly rate- for out owners or to try out- They also offer 10 pack cards to use as you go.
So you should be able to check it out before you get a full membership.

I would only become a member of a place like this is were close enough where it was easy for me to use.
I know that I could fill the same 1-2 hours I spend on a computer, sitting there with Normatec boots on or a Game Ready machine.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on this type of place.... [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a place just like this in Austin. They just opened a few months ago and have some really impressive facilities.

https://www.generatorathletelab.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello FastFor114.4 and All,

How about the future model ..... Uber autonomous van arrives and parks in your front yard .... you get in and use the recovery facilities or get a VO2 max check or a robot massage (no happy ending) and the vehicle leaves for the next customer.

You have already transferred your workout data to the website so the AI has a good fix on what will be best for your recovery and can prescribe the next exercise dose for you as you depart (uploaded to your workout gear so you are ready to roll the next morning) .... after getting prescribed nutrition and sleep.

The AI recommends additional equipment and surgery upgrades (just click to purchase) for more speed and easier maintenance.

For an additional fee some genetic modifications will be available to make you more disease resistant ..... stronger ..... faster .... and provide a longer life span.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply