Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are the benefits of replacing a 10 year old tri bike?
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a Felt DA since 2009 (with a set of Zipp 1080 race wheels). The majority of my riding is indoors on an old bike, so the Felt is relatively low mileage and in pretty good shape. I've seen some intriguing sales at the local bike shop as well as a nice price on a used Speed Concept that have me wondering if a new bike would be worth it or if it is just desire for something new. How does the 2009 DA compare to today and what would be an upgrade?
Quote Reply
Re: What are the benefits of replacing a 10 year old tri bike? [stewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame itself could be a little more aero, but probably not that much. Other impactful upgrades could be a new cockpit, to something like a Tririg Alpha X. That would probably give you more speed than an entire new bike (because most cockpits are worse than the Tririg). You could also upgrade your drivetrain to the latest 11 speed electronic. That would cost you around $1,500 in new parts. But, a new bike with Di2 would be around $5K, and that would probably not be much faster than what you have now.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the benefits of replacing a 10 year old tri bike? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the cockpit itself noticeably faster? I’m sure it can improve fit and that would make you faster, but I’m wondering how much difference it makes over....say a profile design T2 wing?

To the OP, the benefit is n+1! New bike day!
Quote Reply
Re: What are the benefits of replacing a 10 year old tri bike? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can put a tririg bar on a Felt DA anyway, so the point is kinda moot.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What are the benefits of replacing a 10 year old tri bike? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a mediocre cockpit is a butt-ton of drag. Felt's Bayonet is pretty good, but still not as fast as the Tririg. Here are a couple of Tririg's charts. There are other comparisons in the Internets, but this is a quick glimpse.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
I don't think you can put a tririg bar on a Felt DA anyway, so the point is kinda moot.
Well that's a bummer. Didn't think about that.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Oct 24, 19 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: What are the benefits of replacing a 10 year old tri bike? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welp, time to get busy on upgrades and positioning this offseason, thanks! sorry to OP for the partial highjack.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the benefits of replacing a 10 year old tri bike? [stewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will look way cooler
Quote Reply