Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What angle is he riding?
Quote | Reply
??????
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, tough to say becasue of the oblique angle of the photo. The perspective makes it look more relaxed than it really is. One good thing about this photo: he appears to be "settled in", i.e., not accelerating or climbing. This appears to be a reasonable depiction of his actual posture.

Note: A better question may be "What angle is he SITTING at?" There appears to be as much as 4cm of exposed saddle behind his butt and the back of the saddle. The bike could be set up at 74 degrees but he may be sitting at 77 degrees.

Good photo though. I look at stuff like this for hours.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about this one?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I should add, the guy who built this bike, Jim Potter at Del Vecchio's (sp?) in Boulder, CO. is one of the finest bike assemblers and mechanics in the U.S. I worked with Jim here in Michigan for years and learned a great deal from him before he married Kelly and moved to Boulder where he has been building some of the hottest, winningest bikes on the planet.

Some other shops make a huge deal out of building bikes for the pros. Jim and the guys at Del Vecchio's have always been quiet and humble about their work. They are one of the best kept secrets in the world, except among the top pros who go there for work. They ask for Jim Potter.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He looks fast to me, freestyle. If you want to get picky, maybe he looks just a little too compacted. Just a little longer top tube or stem? Open his thigh to chest angle closer to 90 degrees? Tom D is the recognised expert here though. I would be surprised if he doesn't comment for you.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I would like to see was a picture of the kidney stone...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And a broken elbow and a root canal. Poor guy.
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that DeBoom looks like he is pretty far out on the end of his saddle, meaning that the effective seat tube angle would be different from the bike's actual seat tube angle. Man he looks fast!

I'm lucky enough to take my bike to Vecchio's when I need service. They are probably the finest service shop in the country, and fit into Boulder perfectly. Whereas most shops depend on margin from selling large amounts of product, Vecchio's depends mainly on their service and bike-fitting to pay the bills. In Boulder, where many people are training and racing at a high level and know what they need, Vecchio's gives them exactly what they are looking for without the sales pitch. Each of the mechanics there takes what they do very seriously, approaching bicycle repair with equal parts art and science. Seriously, when I took a job at a local shop one of the first things that I thought about was whether or not I could still take my bikes there for service! The only downside is they often have a wait of about a week or two to get service done, though they bend over backwards for you if you need something urgently.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definately at 78 or more, Selcof post reversed with saddle al the way forward. I was there and have close up photos of the set-up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will defer to the expert and professional opinion of Tom D and other fit guru's, but to me Tim DeBoom's fit and positioning here is very good. He looks relaxed. He looks like he can generate optimal power. He's reasonably aero. It looks like a position that he can maintain for a long time.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike was absolutely set-up at 78 degrees and is therefore at 80+degrees, seeing that he's on the tip of the saddle
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [trican1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the first time I noticed his shoes. I thought I'd seen it all. What are those things?

Who doesn't ride on the tip of their saddle? I always feel more powerful on the tip at any distance. In short races, I feel like I am standing and barely touching the tip. I have to constantly remind myself to slide back during longer rides so I can stay reasonably comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are 800 dollar Lust cycling shoes.

http://www.lustracing.com/products.html

I wonder why he stopped using them. Even if they didn't sponsor him this year, one would think they'd hold up more than 1 year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those shoes are supposed to hold up for a very, very long time. For $800, they ought to. According to the website, Jonathon Vaughters used a pair for two years when he was racing. I think those shoes would complement my cycling gear quite nicely, especially clipped in to my $50 pedals.

Of course I've put two years on my $70 Diadoras.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike shoes does he have on? Those look to have a very low profile. Anyone know?
Quote Reply
Re: What angle is he riding? [kcwiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffs read the thread
Quote Reply