Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by coyote pelon
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Jul 13, 19 13:57
Re: What Would You Do? Stop To Pick Up Screw/Nail/Coins [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From prior work history, I’m programmed to look for FOD haha!!

On a run, I always stop or circle back to toss screws, nails, etc off to the side of the road. Good deed for the day and all that.

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Re: What Would You Do? Stop To Pick Up Screw/Nail/Coins [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I’m running I’ll stop and pick up and amount of money. I’ll also pick up garbage (usually cans it seems) as well and toss it when I get to a bin. When I’m cycling, I rarely stop, but mostly because I don’t notice things as much given the speeds

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in a race? I'll always grab dangerous debris and get rid of it.

In a race? Have to be honest, I'm usually trying to win when I race so I'd point so anyone near me could see, keep going, then tell the next official I see and hope they get someone there in time to help anyone behind me.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when run training, almost always. When run racing, never. When cycling training, only if I am in a rest interval or if my wife or team is trailing far behind (far enough that I can't just point it out).

There is a guy on our team who has the skills to "kick" bigger things to the side with his rear wheel. A skill I'd love to work.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I always pickup a nail or screw if I spot it in time. Sometimes I'm too far past it and would have to double back to get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just so commonplace on roads in my area, I honestly never even thought to stop to pick it up. If I'm stopped I'll kick it out of the way.

I did stop and got off the bike to move a rake out of the bike lane the other day, though. Didn't think I could carry that one home.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often pass through an industrial area on my run commute home and stop to pick up nails/screws/sharps close to every other day...toss them in the bushes and hope for some good karma the next time I’m on my bike or in the car ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends.

Definitely if I'm stopped at a light and see something. Likely if it's a large object in a bike lane.

Tried stopping when riding and it was dangerous for me as a cyclist and didn't necessarily result in good karma.

Went out on my own to sweep streets at night. Some cyclists went flying by while training in the dark and a police officer told me to stop.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not on a ride.

I stop and pick up the nails and screws (and the odd screw driver, pliers, etc.) that I notice during training runs. (Sort of aggravates my Sunday morning training partner who never wants to stop/slow down for anything.) I can't remember seeing anything during a race, but I don't think I'd stop to pick it up if I did.

I've never picked up any of the change I've seen on the road. But I'd pick up a dollar bill if I ever see one.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stop for a screw.
Quote Reply