Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What Training Log Software do you use?
Quote | Reply
What do you guys use to log your workouts?

I have been logging my training using my own spreadsheet and on runkeeper.com. This year, I wanted to move out of the spreadsheet and was hoping to find a better website or software to use to log my workouts.
I've tried many including trainingpeaks but can't seem to settle on any of them. Trainingpeaks come close but I find it to be overwhelming and can be confusing.
Today I came a cross RubiTrack for mac and it is the best I have seen so far. The only downside is it is not a web based application.
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Microsoft Excel.

I find nothing else comes close to personal customisation. I've tried half a dozen or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training Peaks but I have a coach who looks at all the mumbo jumbo for me ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I used to use dailymile, but my coach uses trainingpeaks.com and now so do I.
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [ryazwinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.tracktriathlon.com is what i use currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SportTracks: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/

import from garmin/polar/whatever, lots of useful plugins to do further post-workout analysis, has the ability to track things like miles per pair of shoes/tires, etc, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [SegFault] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on Sporttracks. I like the ability to upload my Garmin data...

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 on SportTracks it is the best I have found bar none.

I am interested in hearing about alternatives though, I went to Mac a while back and SportTracks is not supported.
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:

I am interested in hearing about alternatives though, I went to Mac a while back and SportTracks is not supported.

Trainingpeaks does equipment tracking, route tracking, nutrition, workout analysis, and a bunch of other stuff.

My biggest issue with tp is that it's flash based which makes it slow and kinda clunky but otherwise I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WKO+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training Peaks. Started using it because my coach uses it. I like it now. They also have a iPhone/iPad app that is pretty nice. I'm using the free version but may switch to the pay at some point.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out rubiTrack for mac.
Downloaded the free trial today. Seems really nice and can import GPX, TCX, etc from garmin and trainerroad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried lots of electronic methods, but my favorite is still an old fashion notebook with grid lines. I have some pages with a yearly macro plan (by week...base, build, taper, races, etc), some pages for benchmark workout results, some pages for race plans/results, and then most of it is daily workouts. I have two columns per page...the intended workout on the left (written maybe a month in advance) and then the actual workout on the right. I use Golden Cheetah to analyze my power numbers, but FTP test results and workouts get written down.

I generally don't care about total mileage per month/year, so this works well for me. If I wanted to manipulate the data more, I'd go with another method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, SportTracks is very powerful, however you're tied to one machine and don't have the benefits of cloud computing, or of easy collaboration, for example with a coach.
Full disclosure: I created www.triathlonlog.com. This is a web-application built upon google-docs with a lot of extras like a very low maintanance shoe tracker (mentioned on this thread), a unique periodization-plan generator that integrates its data into the the monthly worksheets, and many features for coaches, like very easy collaboration, a client management page and daily emails for client updates and for warnings (eg if a client doesn't have anything scheduled within a specified time period).
The features are all designed to be very fast to use and low maintenance, even on a smartphone. Numerous things are configurable, extra columns can be enabled for various functionalitys.
Since it's based upon google-docs, clients and coaches own their data forever, and can access it anywhere, without being dependent on a hard drive, USB stick, or a smaller internet company than google (are there any bigger ones?) that might go out of business in a few years, taking with it your means to display your data.
I think one feature that might be of interest to a lot of folk here is the periodization-plan generator. In the "Year-Plan" view we can bring up the plan-generator window, which allows us to specify the dates of our 'A' races, and the periodization pattern we desire (eg 4x3/1wks on/off, then 2x2/1, + 2wk taper). For up to 4 'A' races, the weeks are then all labeled with mesocycle number and week within that cycle, color coded, and placed not only in the year plan but also into the blue weekly "high level plan" lines on the monthly worksheets, along with any other year-plan data for that week (eg key runs, total ride numbers, other key info). Having planned the big picture it's then a lot easier to plan at the weekly level without continuous cross-referencing. Properly utilizing this and other features 4 yrs ago is one of the things that enabled me to step up from an also-ran at the Nat AG Champs, to the next level.
Assuming you already have a google account of some kind (not necessarily gmail) then you don't even need to register. Everything uses your google account.
Below is a typical monthly sheet view (not in coaching mode) and a few other snapshots. Individual users are requested to give $25 to help with support and development. A coach's account is free, but it's expected that all of the clients of a participating coach pay the $25 within 6 weeks. Further enhancements are being added.
Doug Clark
www.triathlonlog.com

Below the user is editing the shoe used on Sept 8th.

Integrated Periodization Plan Generator:

Coach's Control Panel - many enhancements will be added soon, including the GUI:

Part of the summary view:

Edit: notes regarding passwords
Last edited by: BigBloke: Jan 1, 12 20:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Dealz wrote:
Check out rubiTrack for mac.
Downloaded the free trial today. Seems really nice and can import GPX, TCX, etc from garmin and trainerroad

This looks promising. They even claim that I can import my SportTracks logbook. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dailymile to keep up to date with my friend on the girl's xc team (separate campuses, I don't see her very often, it's an easy way to keep up to date on our running) and I just started using the ST training log over the past few days so I can compete in the challenges.

But I'm inching away from Dailymile and I think I'm going to stick with ST.

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Last edited by: Livetotri: Jan 1, 12 21:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:

x4 for SportTracks.

I also log and chat on RunningAhead.com Its a great little log and forum site for runners, but it can handle multisport as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using trainingpeaks.com and so far I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raceday from physfarm.com

Let's me track S/B/R for myself and multiple athletes with coaching version.

Most and best of all....it's runs native on Mac without any PC voodoo on my machine.

jamie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Ontri.com.

I like that I can upload a training program. Is anyone else using Ontri? Are the other programs discussed on this thread something I should explore?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Doug,

I just signed up to give your sw a try and appreciate you offering this to the community. So far it looks very robust and comprehensive. Will keep you posted...

Regards,

- Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing. Have a TP account, but don't use it much anymore. Was in the mode of analyzing every swim, ride and run for years in WKO. Looking at every angle, chart and graph of TSS, CTL, etc. Just got burned out on being a numbers hound. Have my workouts in a PDF and on-line and just do what I am told. Still analyze stuff real-time on my Joule and Garmin but that's about it. Sometimes I will download a key ride or test to see what happened. Maybe I should be more concerned. But results (based on races, tests, etc) are positive and improving and I'm happier not looking at the numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningahead.com
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [mopery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like SportTracks as it allows me to download my data from my Garmin instead of having to type it in.
One comment I have about a bunch of these sites is their Fort Knox security systems they have when you register. I guess there are people out there trying to steal all my training data and they have to keep it safe from prying eyes. Tried to register with Runningahead to check it out and finally gave up.
Quote Reply
Re: What Training Log Software do you use? [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug, can Garmin files be uploaded to your training log software?
Quote Reply

Prev Next