Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What Lube do you use or Prefer?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering what people are using in terms of Lube for the chains.
I personally am using chain wax. Seems to work well for me as it seems to be quite smooth despite having logging close to 2000km and only 1 application. (I wipe the chain nearly after every ride and nothing else)

Anyone heard of Wend Wax?
Quote Reply
Re: What Lube do you use or Prefer? [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once your initial waxing wears off, try the Premier. That stuff is great and it is wax based with extra secret sauce additives. It is also an incredible value.
Quote Reply
Re: What Lube do you use or Prefer? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at my bottle from Premier that just arrived and it's HUGE and probably an incredible product.

Can't wait to try it!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motor oil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fancy Premier stuff but not sure how easy to get over here in the UK.

I'm liking Rock n Roll Extreme LV (blue) because;

a) it kicks ass in the friction facts tests
b) it keeps the chain spooky clean, for a bottle lube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squirt is my preference. Highly rated by Friction Facts and super easy and convenient.

Try googling Wendwax and you will soon find the very negative answer on that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paraffin wax, with MSO2 and teflon
Pull off the bike every 3-400 km (which for me at the moment is only once every few weeks) as: put on slow cooker at start of ride, finish ride and dump chain in, leave for a few hours, then hang and put back on the bike. Less stressed about the watts than it's just a very easy way to keep a clean and quiet chain.

Silent running chain, which appears to have absolutely no wear at all (as opposed to my 1x which stays on all the time and stretches and gets smashed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You all disappoint me. Hoped this thread would go in a different direction
Quote Reply
Re: What Lube do you use or Prefer? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trojan hot and spicy is my fav
Quote Reply
Re: What Lube do you use or Prefer? [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:

Silent running chain, which appears to have absolutely no wear at all (as opposed to my 1x which stays on all the time and stretches and gets smashed).

Can you explain what the lube has to do with the stretch of the chain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD40. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
myjunk wrote:
I personally am using chain wax. Seems to work well for me as it seems to be quite smooth despite having logging close to 2000km and only 1 application. (I wipe the chain nearly after every ride and nothing else)

MY LBS has it but, I use Smoove for now. Prior to that I used Squirt. No complaints on either and subjectively they work much better than Prolink, Dumond, triflow or other "conventional" lubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For regular lube, I like rock n roll gold.

But lately I've been taking the time to wax my chains with molten speed wax and really like it.

I do have a bottle of the premiere stuff, and in terms of my chain staying clean, I guess I found it falls somewhere in between traditional oil lube and wax. I prefer the molten speed wax, and I don't mind the exercise of cleaning and rewaxing chains every few hundred km's. Pretty easy to do it in an evening while doing other chores....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
myjunk wrote:

Never heard of Wend Wax. I've been using Pro Gold for years. Clean and lube in one step. But, it seems to be costing me a couple of watts. When my current supply expires, I'lll be switching to Premier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used Squirt for many years which has always been excellent, but then got a bottle of the Premier lube which I have been using since. Squirt seems to last longer per application; I'd apply it maybe once every 3 weeks or so. A fresh coat of Premier gives a very smooth chain but to my opinion it doesn't last very long; I need to apply a fresh coat at least once a week or my chain starts to get noisy and feel less smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: What Lube do you use or Prefer? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it's more indirect and to do with chain wear.
I've drunk the zerofrictioncycling.com.au koolaid, and I'm pretty inclined to believe that a lube that doesn't attract much grit and scunge which wear out chains is going to lead to less stretch.
Thus far my N+1 suggests that it does - I do a weekly interval session of 4*4 mins @ 350-400 watts @ 50-60rpm on the road bike and it hasn't stretched much yet.
The 1x? Not so much.
OK, different uses and all that, but one chain that relatively neglected vs. one better looked after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Molten Speed Wax, but I currently fancy getting a bottle of CeramicSpeed UFO Drip. Have not seen friction test results on it, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the Rock 'n' Roll Gold camp. It's clean, the chain never gets all that gummed up. I give it a good clean every couple weeks (i dont ride a ton) and then re-lube.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: What Lube do you use or Prefer? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 as they say.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NFS. (Nix Frix Shun). Best I've ever used, the only I will use.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
I'm in the Rock 'n' Roll Gold camp. It's clean, the chain never gets all that gummed up. I give it a good clean every couple weeks (i dont ride a ton) and then re-lube.

Sales guys at my LBS recommended Rock'n'Roll Gold, so that's what I use.
I can see that if one of the popular lube over there.
I'm curious about synthetic lube though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use tri flow. It's easy to find here and you can use it to lube other moving parts or bolts. The wax based stuff doesn't work well where I ride unless you constantly maintain it. Not really interested in that...I rather focus more time on just riding.

For very important races, I simply slap on a new chain.
Quote Reply
Re: What Lube do you use or Prefer? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I simply use ProLink because it's light and widely available here. I can't be bothered with wax... feels like too much work. I'd rather be out there riding so for me I'll happily sacrifice the extra 1-2W for convenience.
Last edited by: blayze: Oct 18, 18 12:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That chart is a bit old. There is an updated one here:

https://cyclingtips.com/...hat-saves-you-money/

UFO is top
Squirt is second

I've been going with parafin wax (gulf wax from walmart) and it works well. I use squirt in between. My freshly waxed chain at DK200 was screaming loud halfway into the race. I was surprised at how bad it got so quickly. It was the loudest in the pack. 2nd loudest had a Molten Speedwax treated chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an outdated chart. Here is an updated version with more test results:

Quote Reply

Prev Next