Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What I learned from my first IRONMAN
Quote | Reply
When I made the decision to become a Triathlete, I decided to shoot straight for the moon. Instead of logically working my way up to a longer distance, and getting the experience of shorter races/triathlons; I had signed up for the 2019 Lake Placid Full IRONMAN. If you know me, you might not find it too shocking that I went with the “go big or go home’ approach to starting my racing / triathlon career, but at the time, ignorance was my biggest proponent (I really had no clue what I was getting myself into). I also set out to do some good, and raise money for a cause, which added a layer of inspiration to my motivation. 4 years ago I lost my cousin to a battle with addiction, and I started a fundraising campaign (140 Miles for Matt) to support a charity that was started in his honor (Hope For Healing). With support and a motivating cause, I began my routine, just 7 months before race day.

Before I began training, I had never run more than a 5k; and before the actual event, I had never ran a complete marathon (furthest I got in training was just over a half marathon for my running distances), and had never competed in an actual race. I did through my training complete the full swim and bike distances before the big day, along with some good bricks (50mil bike, 10+ mile run etc), but I will get into my workout regiment later. I never had a coach (except for my beautiful and supportive Fiance, who was my rock and A$% kicker when I needed it), but I did have a lot to pull from on the internet and some good friends who had completed IRONMAN(s), who gave me some great starting points and advice all the way through race day.

12:54:26 (1:05/6:24/5:01) I could not be happier with those times; and above all else finishing in the top 30% in both my age group and overall finishing. In an effort of full disclosure, I was a competitive swimmer most my life, so I had arguably one leg up on other athletes that did not phase me: the swim.

With all that being said, this experience taught me a lot, humbled me completely, and proved that with the right mindset you can accomplish something other people believe you cannot. Your mental state is by far the most important tool you have in your belt, and the best part is: it’s the one thing you can COMPLETELY control. I went into this IRONMAN with only the goal to cross the finish line, but by the end of my training (and realizing I might not be that bad at this for a first-timer), I felt confident enough to raise that bar for myself a bit higher (and set some time goals). Initially all I needed to accept was that the swim and bike are a pure energy burn; and if I could get myself to the marathon, I could walk the 26.4 miles and finish. I needed to learn how to be able to get through a nutrition plan that keeps my body fueled to perform for a very extended period of time. After training my body for endurance,I just need to find my “forever pace”, sticking with the speed that my body can sustain almost indefinitely without exhausting. Mentally I was able to see myself to the end of the race, knowing I could complete the swim in at least 90 mins, and the bike in under 7 hours, would leave me with over 8 hours to walk a marathon comfortably and actually finish the race successfully.

There is a chemical and physical game to master in long endurance events, and that came with learning how to listen to my bodies needs. No matter how positive you remain, if you lose your salt, become dehydrated, overheat, etc etc; no amount of willpower will get your body to perform when it shuts down. Recovery is the process in which your body resets and rebuilds, and shocking to most people, that does not mean you have to stop moving (in fact, a lot of science says the best recovery happens while moving). Every single workout I trained for, had some form of mid-performance recovery gap built into it. Run 10 miles, every 3 drop your pace to a “jog”, then run the next mile at your race pace or sprint, for example. Over time, your body will condition to using that jog speed to recover, let your heart rate come down, and even speed up its intake of nutrients. This type of repetitive endurance training is all about getting your body to recover while in motion; and very key for endurance. It’s and IRONMAN, not a sprint!

Equally important to your endurance training (and recovery during performance), is the actual recovery process after workouts. Your body needs rest to heal its wounds, and every workout, you are wounded (particularly high impact running). No matter how good you feel afterwards, your body is injured, muscles are torn, lactic acid builds, joints lose their flexibility, and energy stores are depleted. Recovering is a process that needs to be trained and conditioned; and you can chemically train your body to expect and get what it needs out of recovery. This means you need to be ready to provide yourself with protein, water, electrolytes, etc to give it the building blocks it needs to rebuild; at the right time. The faster you recover, the faster you can get back out there and perform; and when a race lasts hours that becomes a very real part of your plan to the finish line.

My Routine:
My training plan began Christmas of 2018, and I really stepped up with a 4-6 days a week plan after January 1, 2019. That gave me 7 months to get ready for the race, find a bike (bought a second hand 2016 Felt-B2 in March), get running shoes (didn't have those either), and genuinely dive head first into unknown life of triathlon training.

My workouts followed a rotation that was dictated by keeping my legs and knees from getting over impacted from excessive running. I almost always followed up a long run with a swim set the next day, allowing the no-impact swimming to help loosen and rebuild my legs from the long run the day before. I would use the weekends for the longer workouts and my brick sets, designed to build endurance and condition my body to my nutrition plan. Weekend workouts were also a time to practice transitions and get bricks in so I could get used to the “jello-legs” feeling after cycling for hours. For me, I learned it only takes about 2 miles on foot before my running legs are back and stretched out after a ride. That made a big difference, because I knew that if I pushed through for just a little more my legs would start feeling better.

My routine was as follows for the 7 months leading up to the race. I did include a 2 week taper period, where my workouts were cut down to always be less than 1.5-2 hours, but keeping intensity up. I built up to these workouts, and gradually increased distances every couple weeks. I found it was important to get at least 5 good workouts in a week, and to give myself that rest day for recovery.

Months 1-4:
Monday - 3-5 mile run, pace improvement
Tuesday - 60 min swim
Wednesday 1-2 hour cycling (indoor then after March, outdoor)
Thursday - 3-5 mile run or 2 hour cycle or 60 min swim
Friday - REST DAY
Saturday - 1-3 hours cycling, followed by 1-2 hour run
Sunday - Full Triathlon (if I could) / Swim-Bike transition, at least 2-3 hours of working out

Months 3-7:
Monday - 5-10 mile run
Tuesday - 60-90 min swim
Wednesday- 1-3 hours cycling
Thursday - 5-10 mile run
Friday - REST DAY
Saturday - 2-6 hours cycling, followed by 5-10 mile run
Sunday - Full 2.4 mil swim or 50-100 mile bike or 5-13 mile run (benchmark setting day)

Looking back on this, I would not advise anyone to mimic me and go straight to an IRONMAN; but it is possible, and having it been my first race, might be the reason I had such success in the first place. Having never run a marathon before, I had no idea how much they suck. That ignorance was blissful, and it kept my mental game focused on what I was doing and achieving, rather than focusing on how bad that thing I have to do in the future is. You can't dread something without the experience or knowledge of the effort and outcome; for me that workout out to my advantage.

The last few days before the race, I tapered back to no impact to allow for maximum recovery. I ran my last half marathon 5 days before the race. I proceeded to complete my training with a 25 mile ride along the chicago lakefront 4 days out, traveled to lake placid 3 days out (rest day), rode the first 10 miles of the bike course 2 days before (which was a 1000 ft elevation gain), with the final workout: 1 lap around Mirror Lake (the raceday swim location) to test out half of the swim. That last swim was when I first realized it was going to only take me an hour to get out of the water, and my swim time would be very competitive. That was a great feeling going into raceday, and having tested the course a bit, I knew what to expect.

Or so I thought… My learning experience was only just beginning when the starters gun went off, and throughout the day I quickly adapted my plans and even used my first lap through the course (as each event has 2 laps of the same course to complete the full distance) to get negative splits on my second laps (particularly the bike). The first thing I learned to do from my future father in law (long time triathlete, Sprint and Olympic distance veteran) was to care for my feet. His advice was to lather my feet in body glide or petroleum jelly, to reduce any rubbing or friction and to help them not blister when wet from the swim or sweat. This came in use during the T2 bike-run transition as well, because during the last 10 miles of the ride I got caught in a big downpour. Without spare socks to change into (yes, lesson learned there, always have spare socks), I was forced to continue wearing my wet ones from the ride. The petroleum jelly saved me, and my feet came out of the race feeling softer than ever, without a single blister or blemish. Felt more like I had been to get a pedicure than had just finished an Ironman.

I also learned how to understand the course layout and use it to my advantage. On the first lap of the bike segment, I discovered that I could use the tremendous downhill runs to get up to speeds of just over 50mph (my fastest speeds yet)! I began to use this speed to get back up the subsequent climbs that usually followed that fun roller coaster ride down, and on my second lap I maximed this to its fullest. I hit my top speed of 51 mph going downhill on that pass, and used those speeds to cut over 1000ft of climbing (from 6000ft total) just because I was able to use momentum to my advantage. I would fly by other riders who were peddling their way up a hill, while I could almost coast all the way to the top.
Once I got myself to the run, I knew it was the home stretch. I settle into my marching pace and took on my first ever marathon. I used hills (walking up at times and skipping down) to recover, and kept my nutrition plan.

Every hour I would take a 320 Maurten pack mixed with 500ml of water. I consumed about 100ml of water every 15 mins, with some added salt licks and gatorade from the pit stops. The only food I ate was a cliff bar half way through bike and at the beginning of the run, then about half a banana during the run and bike. I did take some gummy bears along for the run, as a reward for making it to the next water station, but those were the carrot to my horse. My plan kept me hydrated and energized to the point where I never once cramped or felt out of energy

Crossing the finish line was a bittersweet accomplishment. While I was incredibly proud to have not only set out to complete a goal, but to exceed all expectations, is now one of the best experiences of my life. The sour, however, is that it's now over; and there is absolutely a sense of let down because it was something I had looked forward to for so long, and worked so hard to achieve; and now it was over. I am looking forward to having some free time again, and will quench my triathlon thirst again in August for the Chicago - Olympic Distance - Triathlon.

In the end, I was also able to raise over $7000 for my charity, thanks to the donations of the friends, family, and a few angel donors from social media I had never met. The experience was one of the best in my life, and I was able to prove to myself that sometimes when you shoot for the moon, you will actually get there.
Last edited by: dhussey: Nov 23, 19 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from my first IRONMAN [dhussey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice right up. We were up there to cheer on several friends and it makes me wish we could have cheered you on as well.

So far 5 in our group have paid for Placid 2020. Will be very different from IM Maryland!

Congrats!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, sorry to hear about your cousin.

Why did you choose Placid? Did you give any thought to Ironman Wisconsin? Did you have a goal going in? Were you happy with the result? Did you have a goal for the bike/run going into the race? If so what? Were you going by power on the bike? What was the thought with doing a half-marathon 5 days before the race, did you read that somewhere? Would you do the half-marathon 5 days out again? What kind of run pace did you do in training for your longer runs and was it via pace or HR?

Congrats on the finish. I think the optimal setup for one and done in a single season is a June olympic, July/August 70.3. Sept/Oct/Nov full. Having a swim background is a huge help.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from my first IRONMAN [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you choose Placid?

I actually got the idea to do an IRONMAN when a co-worker (I am a commodity and futures broker / market strategist), who had done a few before this. He ended up backing out for personal reasons, but we signed up for Lake Placid because it was the original North American IRONMAN and it was the 20th anniversary. Our boss had done the first one in Lake Placid 20 years before, and I was interested to see if I could beat his 14:30:00 time. In the end, doing Lake Placid was a great choice because everything about it makes for a great race day - the history there (Olympics and being the the birthplace of the NA IRONMAN), the race route (its beautiful), the people (inspirational)... It ended up adding a sense of being apart of the tradition for me that inspired me in its own right.

Did you give any thought to Ironman Wisconsin?

I did, and Wisconsin is like my next race! I ultimately went with Lake Placid because it would be a cool place to visit and got me out of the Midwest (I am from Chicago). Lake Placid just made (for me anyway) as a more inspirational start to my racing career.

Did you have a goal going in? Were you happy with the result?

My only real time goal was to try and beat the 14:30:00 time my boss posted 20 years before. At the start of my training, I really went into it just wanting to finish, but as my training progressed I became a lot more confident in my ability to make it to the finish. That is when I started to really try to pace out the race in training and set a time goal. I was very happy with my result, but disappointed I knew I can do better. My recovery was way to fast after the race, and I finished thinking I could have left more out on the course (especially for the run). That's my inspiration for the next one!

Did you have a goal for the bike/run going into the race?

I did. I wanted to be sub 6 hours for the bik (did not accomplish, but was happy I was right there @ 6 hours). I actually attribute not hitting that goal to a small wipe out at the mid-point pit stop. I came in a little hot, and almost went over the handle bars when I tried to come to a fast stop.aMy knee hit the ground and got a little roughed up, but it ended up just being an topical scratch. For the run however, having never done a marathon before, I was going in with less expectations of the outcome.

If so what? Were you going by power on the bike?

This is a great question. I did not go into how I used my power output and heart rate to find my paces I could sustain during training. I found a 200mw output and my hear rate zones out, and would use those to monitor my body as it if were an engine. I did not have a power attachment for my bike, but did on my stationary's I would use for training indoors. When I flipped to outside training on my bike, I relied more on heart rate and learning how to listen to how my body felt.

What was the thought with doing a half-marathon 5 days before the race, did you read that somewhere? Would you do the half-marathon 5 days out again?

Honestly, the half marathon was not thought out. I went out that day intending on just running 10 miles, felt good (probably because I was in my taper), I just kept going to a half. I am not sure I would run a half next time that close to race day, but I also didn't have any issues recovering from that by race day.

What kind of run pace did you do in training for your longer runs and was it via pace or HR?

I used both to determine where I felt I could pace out almost indefinitely. I was able to hold sub 8 min miles in my training, but I did not on race day. My only regret from the race was finishing feeling I could have left more of myself out on the race course. I absolutely used my HR to determine when my engine needed to recover during runs (alternating faster pace, with a recovery pace when I needed to let my body catch up to me). Next time, I will be training a lot more specifically for this to help improve my time and gain the confidence to do better. Using your HR is important, but even more so is learning how your body actually feels and how to respond to that when your HR is in different zones. My biggest take away was that I felt I did not do this enough during the race like I did during my training, and while its not as much a regret as it is my goal for the next race, I do think this is a key factor to keeping yourself going on race day. If you did it in training, and it helped to keep you going at your desired pace, you should do it on race day. I was so caught up in the moment of the day, I just took on the run course and didn't look back, and arguable didnt follow my training regiment I had created for myself. Next time, I wont make that mistake,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhussey wrote:
Why did you choose Placid?

I actually got the idea to do an IRONMAN when a co-worker (I am a commodity and futures broker / market strategist), who had done a few before this. He ended up backing out for personal reasons, but we signed up for Lake Placid because it was the original North American IRONMAN and it was the 20th anniversary. Our boss had done the first one in Lake Placid 20 years before, and I was interested to see if I could beat his 14:30:00 time. In the end, doing Lake Placid was a great choice because everything about it makes for a great race day - the history there (Olympics and being the the birthplace of the NA IRONMAN), the race route (its beautiful), the people (inspirational)... It ended up adding a sense of being apart of the tradition for me that inspired me in its own right.

I hate to be the one to break it to you but IM Lake Placid was not the original Nth American Ironman.....
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned from my first IRONMAN [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was it then, because Hawaii is not North America. I know Lake Placid is definitely the longest running in North America; was always under the impression it was the first / cornerstone for the race in North America.
Last edited by: dhussey: Nov 25, 19 6:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhussey wrote:
What was it then, because Hawaii is not North America. I know Lake Placid is definitely the longest running in North America; was always under the impression it was the first / cornerstone for the race in North America.

Ironman Canada in Penticton was first run in 1986..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice write up, I can definitely relate to just throwing yourself in the deep end hoping you'll swim. You were definitely a lot smarter (and faster) than me though (13:41:19 - 1:45/6:37/5:02), my runs weren't long enough nor were my "long" bike rides and I paid for it.

I did my first IM in Switzerland this year with only having done a 70.3 in 2012 and an Olympic distance 5 weeks before Switzerland and learned so many things during my training, which after now having a coach, I know was a complete guesswork and put together fairly poorly even though I did lots of research before starting.

Quite a bit also went wrong during the race, but at least I didn't get a flat or wipe out so I take that as a win. And, of the things that went wrong, most of it was my own fault and they were painful lessons learned during the race.

Swim:
When I came out the water and went to open my wetsuit, I realized it was only attached with velcro at the neck, the rest was completely open and it must have been for a while since it had been some time since I'd been close to other people. I'm also a fairly slow swimmer with little OW experience, so I definitely added a good bit of distance to the swim. Overall, I was just happy to get out of the water and my bike was the last one on the rack so at least I had plenty of space!

Bike:
The first 85k felt really good but then all of a sudden my lower back gave out and I couldn't be in aero for the remainder of the bike and had to deal with some of the worst pain I've ever had. My nutrition was luckily on point having Tailwind the whole time and will absolutely use that again.

Run:
Lower back pain continued to entire run and after 16k I felt what I thought was a small rock in my shoe so stopped to get it out. Ran another 2k or so and it was still there, but now I felt it under both feet. As it was 32C/90F I had run under the shower they had at the aid stations a couple of times which had gotten my socks wet so what I thought was a tiny rock was a 4cm blister under each foot, so that didn't make the rest of the run any more pleasant.

Overall, crossing that finish line was one of the most rewarding experiences and so many lessons learned for the next one. On the day, the race went exactly as good as it could have with my preparation so no excuses, and getting to ride up Heartbreak Hill was probably the coolest thing I've tried, the atmosphere was like watching TDF.

Sorry, I ended up writing more than expected and don't want to hijack your thread, just wanted to share my experience as I'm also very new to the world of triathlon. Well done for completing and raising money for a great cause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest thing I learned from my first IM was the value of ~20 mile training runs, the day after a long ride.

I also learned that there are an amazing number of people willing to draft and that the best way to deter them is to stand up on the bike and take a piss.
Last edited by: robbofromkern: Nov 25, 19 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up. I have two friends that are taking on their first Ironman next October in Louisville. i will be sharing your thoughts and others in this thread with them.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Last edited by: Billabong: Nov 25, 19 17:55
Quote Reply