Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What FTP can be expected from the average Joe?
Quote | Reply
I'm aware that there are a thousand variables to the question I am about to ask. However, I'm just looking for a general answer.

If you look at the FTPs (functional threshold power) of many pro cyclists you see some pretty high numbers (over 5watts/kg with world class athletes). When looking at professional triathletes you also see very high numbers. I'd say between 4.0 and 5.0 watts/kg as an estimated average. Where 4.0 might be the "local pro" type and 5.0 might be the "world class pro".

I would venture to say that all of the athletes above worked their asses off to get to where they are. If the average Joe (someone who may not have all of the genetic gifts most of the best pros have) works their ass off how far can they get? How much of an impact does genetics have on an FTP? Could most athletes expect to get to 4.0 watts/kg? Higher? What do you think?

Thanks

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take a SWAG and say 3.1 - 3.2 watts/kg for a male. That would put you mid pack for the bike with decent equipment and position at the small races I do. With that power, good equipment choices, and a good position, I'd think you'd be at least mid-pack even in a somewhat competitive field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty much middle of the pack and have an FTP of 3.1 w/Kg right now.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Are you at your potential? I'm thinking more along the lines of how far can the average Joe go?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I am definitely not at my potential. I could stand to drop about 15 pounds. I'll let you know in October just before CX season starts.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty much an average Joe when it comes to athletic ability. Not really sure what my FTP is, but my w/kg at CA 70.3 in March was 3.2. FWIW, I'm a 41 y/o guy who thinks that he still has a lot of upside on the bike.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTP for the average Cat 5 is 2.7, Cat 4 is 3.2 and cat 3 is 3.9. These are just some average stats.

Park City Condo Rentals
http://www.traverseridge.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my VO2 max measured years ago when I was in decent shape for an average person, but not much more than untrained as an athlete. IIRC my VO2 max was around 41 or 42 ml/kg/min at 5300 feet. I remember thinking that I was pretty much average as an endurance athlete. Riding 5 hours of L4 per week for a few months I got up to about 3.7 watts/kg last year, and I don't think I'm close to my potential. I think I could get close to 4 watts/kg if I could ride 10 hours per week for a year, but think the point of diminishing returns would set in quickly after that. Maybe I'm selling myself short, but I don't see myself riding that much until I'm retired in any case.

I'm 42 and 66 or 67 kg, and think I can improve a good bit more even riding 6 or 7 hours a week for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [TriCeratops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was your bike split? Is the bike course slow, average or fast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that getting close to 4.0 w/kg would be achievable to most human beings. It just depends upon the effort that that individual wants to put in to training and weight loss.

Gordon
Last edited by: Devlon: May 18, 10 0:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4W/Kg is more "average amateur" than "local pro" for a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [Devlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree that right around 4.0/kg is achievable by most people. It'll take some work, at least 10hrs a week consistantly for at least 1year if your new to cycling. That puts you right in the middle of the cat 3s. You will not climb like the top cat 3s, but you may very well be near the front in a TT. I started as a roady (cat 2), and usually roll right around 4.2-4.35 on 12hrs a week on the bike and Im a FOP AGer on the bike.

Seth Wilkie DPT, ACSM-HFS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Are you at your potential? I'm thinking more along the lines of how far can the average Joe go?

i would think well beyond 4.

truly dedicate yourself, 5 years......4.5-5 easy. that is really not that high nor that difficult. I would think one could get there just by biking a shit load, not even concerned about a training plan or nothing.

I consider myself very average, bought my first bike (well first bike since a mongoose BMX when I was 12) in December 2008. So, biking just over a year. 3.98 w/kg as of last test, which was a 20 minute test. Last olympic bike leg confirmed results. 305 watts, 76.5 kg.

I have no endurance background at all.

also, I think local pros are well beyond 4.0/kg
Last edited by: cusetri: May 18, 10 3:44
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious...What does a FTP of 3.1 get you in a flat Oly Bike ride?

It's gets me a 1:03-4 with a good run (for me) afterwards

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [mrchopsaloty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What was your bike split? Is the bike course slow, average or fast?

My bike split was 2:29. The bike course probably falls into the "average" category.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at under 3watts/kg I did 1:04 last year, wasn't flat though, lot of turns too.

someday you bastages will listen to my aero weenie advice =)

In Reply To:

It's gets me a 1:03-4 with a good run (for me) afterwards

jaretj

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess that it had as much to do with bike handling as aero weenieness

On a hilly twisty course, you stand to gain/lose a lot of time based on how you ride hills and corners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I'm not as AOD as jackmott I also think the emphasis on this thread on W/kg is somewhat misleading. Watts/kg is all well and good, but can be just as highly dependent on your body mass as it is on your power, I mean afterall the title of the thread is "what FTP" but all we've been talking about is W/kg.

Don't get me wrong, if I was going to brag about anything it would be my W/kg, I'm a pretty thin (I think lean sounds cooler) guy at 6'0 and my W/kg is about 3.9 right now, I think I'll be above 4.0 this season and this is my second year doing Triathlon. The caveat is that my FTP is not all that high at ~270, I can just keep my W/Kg up by staying around 150lbs. This is is enough to seat me pretty well at local races in the 25-29AG, but there is definitely a relationship between how hilly the course is and how well I do overall, if I moved back home to FL and started racing a bunch of pancake flat races W/Kg wouldn't do nearly as much for me as compared to the bigger guys who just pump out a lot more raw power.

So when we ask

Quote:

My first question would be, well what do you wiegh? You could be at at ~3 W/kg and I could be at ~4 but if you have 30lbs on me your overall FTP is going to be about the same or probably higher, on a flat course we may not have all that different bike splits.
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the OP was talking in Watts/Kg it appears that everyone else just stuck with it for this thread.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you've got it backwards. W/kg is more useful to talk about since it corrects for body mass. If I'm 250lbs and have an ftp of 300, that's not really anything to write home about and I'm likely not setting the world on fire with my cycling. On the other hand if I have that same 300 ftp at 140lbs, I'm likely firmly FOP in triathlon bike splits and even (potentially) quite competitive in amateur bike racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
at under 3watts/kg I did 1:04 last year, wasn't flat though, lot of turns too.

someday you bastages will listen to my aero weenie advice =)

In Reply To:

Really? Holy! What do you look like on your bike?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [cusetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if 20 minute tests are FTP....I thought 20 minute tests were Threshold Power while FTP might be better estimated from a 40K TT or Normalized Power from a hard 1 hour ride...let me know what you guys think...I might have been using the wrong numbers to get my zones right!
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [MikeyT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTP = 'Functional Threshold Power'
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right...so anyone who's using a 20 minute test to get their FTP is using the wrong test and overestimating their FTP...I've seen something written that the best way to derive FTP from a 20 minute test is to multiply CP20 by .85...or just get after it for an hour
Quote Reply
Re: What FTP can be expected from the average Joe? [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll through in my 2 cents and say 4.0 watts/kg is above average for the average Joe. I ride with a lot of cat 4 and 3 road racers and some respectful tri guys. I finish in the top 3rd of the field on a road race in Cat 4, top 4 to 5 place in a mountain bike race (Sport Cat 2) and I don’t get dropped in crits racing Cat 4 and Cat 3/4 fields. On the weekend hammer-fest when I let the animals go off the front I hang well with the strong tri guys.

I can hang with stronger Cat 4's and 3's for a good 2 hours, but after two hours they start to kick my ass, particularly on the long climbs. I out climb most people, thus I consider myself above average for an average Joe, but 1/3 of the guys in a road race kick my ass.

My last FTP test was a smig over 4.0 watts/kg, which unfortunately is not much better than my prior test about two months ago which was right at 4.0 watts/kg.
I train with a half ass plan and life gets in the way of it often, so I think an FTP of 4.0 is doable for most with some work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next