Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What Bike do I ride- road or TT? SOS tri
Quote | Reply
Hoping to race SOS next year. I own a road bike (2015 Tarmac) and a TT bike (2010ish specialized transition) the course is here- https://www.strava.com/routes/3282787- a 40k Flattish TT, followed by a 5mi climb that gains 1000 feet (and ends at the top, no descent back down).

am I faster on a roadie or a TT bike? both will be equipped a disc and a fast front wheel (808 or hed or something, whatever I can borrow), turbo cottons, latex tubes and i'll toss some aerobars on the tarmac. the transition will have a felt bayonet basebar, vision claw levers, and tririg extensions. mechanical shifting on both.

I was formerly a 'pro triathlete', 1:50ish Olympic distance or so. cycling was my weakness (298w/40k was my best race power at 6'1" 155#), decent runner(15:58/32:45 off the bike), and good swimmer- I led cam dye out of the water a few times when he was bored, but couldn't beat him when he was interested. SOS is the perfect race for me, or so I think. I'm also local to New Paltz, which helps. I don't like riding on the roads- most of my training is done on the trainer or the mountain bike, which is the most fun you can have with your pants on.

my questions- is aerobar-only shifting a big deal? (I don't have di2 anymore, but had it on my TT bike once and really liked it) Will I be much slower on a road bike on the flats (23-24mph)? Is the TT position that much faster or better for running/swimming after riding?

I'm getting married next summer, so trying to sell some old stuff on fleabay and maybe here for $$. Either I sell the transition OR the tarmac, but I don't really want to keep both.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so i'm sorry if you armchair aerodynamicists are tired of answering it.
Quote Reply
Re: What Bike do I ride- road or TT? SOS tri [tweickelberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SOS three timer all on rented or borrowed road bikes (from the west coast and combined with trips on which I donā€™t want to drag a bike box)

That said, tri bike all the way. The first 25 miles are flat and fast with a few rollers, the climb is really nothing, more like 3-4 one k-ish ramps with flatter (and a downhill) in between. Didnā€™t leave the big ring the entire climb

I can tell you the story of this year, rented tarmac with etap and rear der failed on race day. I had the option of 54/28 or 36/28 the whole ride. Sucked total ass and I was in last place - just me and the sweeper- after about 18 miles LOL. Ended up beating 12 people on the bike. But if thereā€™s any race not to worry about shit hitting the fan itā€™s Sos
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 16, 18 22:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy fellow NP local!

IF you are in M50-55, then road bike all the way.

In fact, since the roads are getting a little choppy in spots, I suggest a gravel bike, or maybe even a mtb. šŸ˜œ

But seriously - TT bike all day.

I ride a P5-3 w/ mechanical 10spd Red.
Had the fastest bike split in ā€˜17, 2nd fastest this year.

First 10 miles dead flat.
Next 15 flat w some rollers. Big ring the whole way, maybe you sit up 1-2x for the ā€˜biggerā€™ ones, just to stretch out.
The last 5m climb is still at least half in the aerobars, and sitting up for the somewhat steeper bits. Thereā€™s maybe 2 sections where you might stand, but I do that more just to give the taint a break, and mix up the muscle usage a bit.

Also - you likely wonā€™t fetch much $ for the ā€˜10 TT bike, so as long as you have storage space for it, might as well hang onto it.

Lastly - thatā€™s hardly a ā€˜weakā€™ cyclist.
And at SOS, the bike almost doesnā€™t matter anyway (much to my chagrin) -
itā€™s all about the swim & run & transitions.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bike all the way. The final climb averages just below 4%, so hauling an extra 2 pounds up the hill won't make nearly as big a difference as pushing that aero brick Tarmac around for 25 miles. My other observation would be that of you can basically FTP 300 watts and only go 23-24 miles an hour, than you REALLY need to work on your position. That is sub-50 minute 40K time power.
Quote Reply
Re: What Bike do I ride- road or TT? SOS tri [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're quite right- when I rode 300 watts I rode 55 high a few times, but there are definite gains to be had there. I cannot push that power now, as I like cookies more than TT training, hence the 23-24mph guess, though maybe by next september i'll be fit again. I'd rather be SUPER run and swim fit for a race like SOS though, where cramping and general discomfort are way more likely to derail a race than 20w loss or gain on the bike. Either way, fair points, and thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS - Iā€™ve been after your KOM on Lenape goes up west and east for the past few months (since I became aware itā€™s a thing)
Came :01 shy the other day.

Iā€™ll reiterate - cycling is NOT your ā€œweaknessā€.
You crushed that.

Youā€™ll be in the Top 3 on the bike at SOS for sure.
And with your former Pro swim & run chops, youā€™ve definitely got the tools to compete for the win.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply