Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What 650b wheels are you using on your gravel bike?
Quote | Reply
I’ve been looking at getting a second wheelset to run wider (47mm) tires on my all road bike. A few sets I’m considering...

- Roval CLX (21 inner width, 1290g) $1400. More than I’d like to spend for a secondary wheelset, but Spec is closing these out so their a good price for a super light set
- Hunt 650b adventure carbon (24 inner, 1450g) $800
- HED Eroica laced to DT Swiss 350 (25 inner, 1577g) $630
- Easton EA70 AX (24 inner, 1670g) $500
- Shimano GRX (21.6 inner, 1750g) $420
- Mason x Hunt Aluminum (25 inner, 1594g) $409

Anyone use any of these and have thoughts (ability to stay true, ease of tubeless setup, etc). Any other good ones to consider? Also, i know wider internal widths is going to affect tire profile and what not, but is there any tubeless specific impact it will have? (ease of installation, etc$

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Dec 23, 19 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: What 650b wheels are you using on your gravel bike? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm contemplating trying some 650b wheels too. I saw that Stan's is selling their 650b Crest rims for $30 each (32h only). I was thinking about getting a set of those and some shimano 105 hubs. I think i could probably build something up for under $350.

But, i guess that isn't much less than the GRX wheels, although they should be lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: What 650b wheels are you using on your gravel bike? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the stock DT Swiss 650b wheels that came on my Canyon Grail - no complaints. I run 40mm tires on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I’ve been looking at getting a second wheelset to run wider (47mm) tires on my all road bike. A few sets I’m considering...

- Roval CLX (21 inner width, 1290g) $1400. More than I’d like to spend for a secondary wheelset, but Spec is closing these out so their a good price for a super light set

Anyone use any of these and have thoughts (ability to stay true, ease of tubeless setup, etc). Any other good ones to consider? Also, i know wider internal widths is going to affect tire profile and what not, but is there any tubeless specific impact it will have? (ease of installation, etc$

I have the Roval's now.. very good. They are closing them out because new one have already been announced (terra evo) I dont need those because I also have Enve G27 for the wide stuff.. I've had no issues with the Roval CLX32s in 650B... using 42mm tires with them now and they are great.

I have also used the Easton's on your list and those are very robust as well... but 1700g+.. atleast with tape and valves.

No issues with tubeless at all... Mostly gravelkings, Donnelly's, WTBs and Compass tires.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Dec 23, 19 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: What 650b wheels are you using on your gravel bike? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have almost 8k miles on my Nextie NXT27RM30 wheels and they’ve been bombproof. Overall fit and finish were just as good as any other high end wheel set I’ve owned and for $800 shipped they’re hard to beat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

i just got a set of HED Eroica GP disc brake, 650b, put some IRC 47s on them. i should have a review up in the next 2 or 3 days. brilliant wheelset. i believe HED is going to change the name, so, look for this wheel under a new name. when i know the name you'll know. but for now it's still Eroica.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run some syncros aluminum rims from my xc bike (good mid range rims) and 2.1 conti speed king rs set up tubless. You need to pump them up every ride as they flat in 2 weeks... but nothing is faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the EA70AX with 2.1 Thunderburts. Very very very happy with them. They measure out to 53mm mounted and, most importantly, just barely squeak into my frame with 3-4mils on each side. Was pleasantly surprised to find how light they are.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to add to your list but, I'd give the Irwin Arlo GX a look.
https://irwincycling.com/product/arlo-gx-27/

I have the 700c on my CX bike and have been really impressed, especially with the hubs. My VeloFix mechanic even commented on how much he liked the hub construction, FWIW.

21 inner, 1700g (w/ tubeless set-up), $600.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: What 650b wheels are you using on your gravel bike? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Chemist wrote:

i just got a set of HED Eroica GP disc brake, 650b, put some IRC 47s on them. i should have a review up in the next 2 or 3 days. brilliant wheelset. i believe HED is going to change the name, so, look for this wheel under a new name. when i know the name you'll know. but for now it's still Eroica.

Since it's not "legal" for use in a Eroica event, they should call it the "Nova Eroica" since it can be used in that :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What 650b wheels are you using on your gravel bike? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I've got the stock DT Swiss 650b wheels that came on my Canyon Grail - no complaints. I run 40mm tires on them.

Just out of interest, what frame size are you riding? XS or 2XS? How's the fit working out?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a grail cf sl 8.0, and canyon sizing reccommends XS, but i'm hesitant about the 650b rims.
Quote Reply
Re: What 650b wheels are you using on your gravel bike? [Thisguy34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m on a 2XS. The fit is super - I have 4 bikes and this is my favourite for comfort and rideability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do companies charge this much for wheelsets? When I decided I did not like the way a 29 inch front wheel steered on my gravel bike, I built a new wheel for the following:
WTB i21 rim $60
Shimano XT front hub $40
spokes $20

$120

That wheel has worked flawlessly through 18 months so far and the WTB rims are super easy and reliable in a tubeless setup. So how do you charge $1200 for a wheelset and why do people pay it?
Even if you paid someone else to build the wheel it would have cost me only $200. Double that and the set is $400.

I don't say this to mock you (or others). I am just truly curious as to the value of a $1500 wheelset.
And please don't mention weight. It is almost irrelevant in actual cycling performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Fulcrum Racing7b DB and so far they have been great. Relatively inexpensive as well.

I have them as a second set of wheels for muddy days with WTB Sendero 47s.
Quote Reply