Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great?
Quote | Reply

In the above photo from this years Kona world champs it is clear she has a computer and sensor on her front wheel. I will check when free later if she has a sensor on her cranks and respond to this thread.

The reason for starting this thread is that i was all but ready to go out and get hold of a powermeter. But now someone has said Chrissie doesn't use a powermeter at all , which to me is proof not everyone needs such gadgets to be the best at long distance triathlon in todays world. Not that we all want to be the best but it is fun when the time permits to wind up the training and see the results.

And I think Chrissie's times are comparable to the top 3 or so men at Kona and at Roth this year. Her times in both events were about 40mins behind the mens. If you extrapolate out from the ITU(time difference of 10mins between the top men and woman), then Chrissie is the only women hitting the truly elite level.

My inclination is that gadgets can be fun and add to motivation, but there necessity in races is still questionable. Perceived exertion is what we need to use 99% of the time?

My feeling is that one could do very well just with a watch, and by doing TT rides over a set course regularly to check for improvement due to training/ gear or technique differences.

Open for discussion.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Jan 4, 10 22:06
Quote Reply
Re: What high tech gadgets does Chrissie wellingto use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

My feeling is that one could do very well just with a watch, and by doing TT rides over a set course regularly to check for improvement due to training/ gear or technique differences.

Open for discussion.

'necessity'? of course it's not necessary. You can certainly check your progress over a set distance by controlling for the variables. That is exactly what I used to do. However, a PM does the following for you:

1. you don't have to control the variables.

2. you get feedback on all of your rides, not just known courses

3. It provides real-time data. Yeah, I could use a stop watch and ride with my laptop open to analytic cycling, but that's not very convenient...

I'll tell you that I could train and race with a speedo with a timer and nothing else, and I doubt my training and racing would be much less effective. I go on past experience and feel more than anything anyway. That said, I'd only feel confident in doing so because of what I've learned about myself by using a PM extensively over the last 10 years or so.

If you're going to base your decision on 'what Chrissie does', well, that just seems questionable to for a lot of reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
technically it doesnt prove anything except that CW is beastly.

it suggests that the women's competition isnt as steep as the mens. the pro men tend to have better bike positions and equipment choices. the emphasis on the womens race is the run so they can just kind of float through the bike portion. if you biked that comparably slow on the men's side, it wouldnt matter how fast you ran because you let the competition get away from you.

she could be faster without a power meter, but that seems unlikely.

people are against putting down money for a powertap but theyll buy aero equips and really expensive bike frames or heart rate monitors.

run: logyourrun.com + 20 buck pacing watch
swim: pace clock preferably or pacing watch
bike: most expensive part 660$

<700$ to train like the pros.
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take Lance as the counter example. Lance used pretty much EVERY gadget out there. He dedicated an entire team to gadgets - The "F1 Team." And he won 7 TdFs. As you said, Chrissie is the only woman who really meets the "elite" time level relative to the men. I will be interested to see what happens if (when) Norden, Moffat, Snowsill, or any of the other women who currently meet the time standard in ITU come to long course. Then we'll see some real racing, if only because they won't give interviews saying "well, at least she won't beat us by as much." Those girls are like Chrissie. They expect to win.

But as to the question at hand. Do you need gadgets? Absolutely not. But if you are talking about trying to maximize performance, then I think they help a lot. Lance used a powermeter in training every year he won a Tour. The vast majority of pro peloton racers use them now, even in racing (since the weight penalty is now not really there with the ligher PMs and lighter frames). I think that's quite compelling.

I guess it's up to you if you want to take Lance or Chrissie as your role model for technologies role in helping you train and race. Lance was the ultimate techno-geek. Personally, I'll take Lance, but I don't think it really matters which way you go. You just have to believe in the path you choose. If you have gadgets but don't trust them that is just as bad as not having gadgets and wishing for them.

Trust how you train. THAT is the most important thing. After that, decide what your limiters are and figure out how to address then. Maybe a gadget will solve a problem. Maybe it won't. You don't need a gadget on your bike to use the best gadget around - your BRAIN.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies above. Some useful bits for me to ponder in all of them. Another problem I see with gadgets is keeping them running and keeping them calibrated properly. The calibration part isn't an issue if you are just looking for difference within yourself as long as where the gadget is set stays the same.

I have talked with a few of the ITU pros over the last recent years and they are usually very open about whether they will 'go long' or even right out to iron-distance level. i haven't asked Andrea Hewitt if she will do an ironman but am pretty sure she will do one in the next few years, and she could do very well. I guess it also depends on how hard or easy it is to make a living at the shorter distances.

But to get back to the topic. I am also a bit anti gadgets being promoted to the recreational triathlete as they can be expensive and i don't think that is great for triathlon. For most triathlon newbies or those doing it for recreation, then keeping it to the basics should be enough. Well it won't 'burn' such a big whole in your pocket anyways.

G.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yfsUCu4P0k

You can see her computer here.
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am at work and youtube is blocked. Does she have cadence? Guess it would depend on what screen is showing on her computer as most have options or flick around every few seconds. Well they were like that when I last used a cyclecompuetr a few years back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm guessing so. She had a Cateye v3 which has cadence, and also she had the sensor/pick up mounted on the back wheel near the left crank arm so I'm assuming so. Cant imagine her going to all the trouble to have it set up and not adding the cadence magnet.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put
Obree Documentry Part 1
into Youtube, watch and enjoy.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yfsUCu4P0k

You can see her computer here.

That's Miranda Carfrae's bike, not CW...

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a number of posters have correctly suggested, it's not about the bike. Wellington is the archetypical example.

On her original bike (first IMHI win) her position was excellent but her fit wasn't entirely optimal in my opinion. It's important to understand the distinction between fit and position. She had compromise fit (most pros do because of sponsorship obligations) but she had nice position.

Good position, appropriate wheels for the course and attention to detail on bike set-up such as efficient hydration configuration and then it is a matter of fitness.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Jan 5, 10 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chrissie uses a pull buoy and paddles when she swims. If you go out and buy a pull buoy and paddles will that necessarily mean that you're now training like Chrissie?
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

On her original bike (first IMHI win) her position was excellent but her fit wasn't entirely optimal in my opinion. It's important to understand the distinction between fit and position. She had compromise fit (most pros do because of sponsorship obligations) but she had nice position.

Hi Tom! Can you expand on the above a little?...I'm not sure if I'm catching your point...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As a number of posters have correctly suggested, it's not about the bike. Wellington is the archetypical example.

Good position, appropriate wheels for the course and attention to detail on bike set-up such as efficient hydration configuration and then it is a matter of fitness.

Tom:

You've confused me. What is the difference between fit and position? Is it bike versus bike + how one is set-up to it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hi Tom! Can you expand on the above a little?...I'm not sure if I'm catching your point...

I can do it for you. Position is what how you set yourself up on your bike. 'Fit' is what someone sells you by telling you this brand of bike has a better 'fit'.

Is that more clear?
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
high tech gadgets chrissie has used:

P2C
Slice
Hed Jet Wheels
HED Aerobars
aero bottle

You forgot:

clinchers

:-P

(of course...speaking of wheels and tires...we won't mention the CO2 inflator ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you could have a great position with a 1 foot long stem
then the fit would be bad

what is it called when you have a great fit and position but the bike was never delivered even though your credit card was already charged?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: What high tech gadgets does Chrissie wellingto use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Roady. The thing that the powermeter does is give you feedback on every ride wrt to "what is going on".

In general, I can pretty well get that in running or swimming with a pace clock.

For biking, the best I could do is known set TT courses, but little things like a few degrees in ambiant temp (even on a zero wind day), different clothing, cars driving by creating a draft (or trucks delivering headwinds) etc etc can easily result in a few minutes of variation on a 40K TT course.

Once I got my powermeter, I saw that I could average 10W higher of effort and yet ride a couple of minutes slower given the conditions. Previously, looking at the stopwatch, I'd just say "bad day....I really suffered and went slower...I'm a slug".

But now I know that I really suffered to squeeze 10 more watts out of my body, and that I really was not a slug on that day.

Conversly, you can get a "good time" and it can feel "easy"....then you look at the powermeter and see you did 10W less for the TT. Well, it felt "easy" cause you were doing less work....not cause you were studly and just posted a faster time....the reality is you could have gone even faster.

With running, I have the track, swimming, the pace clock...the powermeter gives you the same option on the bike....at least you know where your training is going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's Miranda Carfrea's rig.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
what is it called when you have a great fit and position but the bike was never delivered even though your credit card was already charged?

Subtle jab. Love it!

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I think you're right. I own a powermeter and I find it's fun to geek out on the numbers, but I'm not under any illusions that I wouldn't be able to go just as fast without it. It just adds another fun aspect to my training. Would I buy it again? Probably not. But I like having it.

If I actually had a coach who used power in his/her training plans and evaluations, then I could see it being more necessary.

I think the same goes for most high tech cycling widgets. Is buying expensive toys fun? Sure. Will it really help you go faster? Maybe, maybe not. Will it guarantee you go faster than the next guy? Definitely not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

um....fraud???
Quote Reply
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [triarcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, the only high tech gadget needed to be great is oneself. That being said, the only other high tech gadget needed to prove it are race results.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply

Prev Next