Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover?
Quote | Reply
When I see it:

https://www.tririg.com/...versal_Cover_Preview

it really looks sleek and nice. But wasn't the whole point of TriRig Omega brakes that they are small and aerodynamic? Now these have such an amount of drag that they have to be covered?

Also, I ride both TTs and Triathlons. The TTs are smaller, insignificant races, so they haven't bothered with my TriRig Alpha X being non-compliant. But this is such a blatant fairing?
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks cool.

I think it’s not so much about covering the brake as covering the post coming out of the bottom of the alpha one. Let’s you get a clean look without trimming the post flush.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is clever. I like it.

I do wonder if a $50 Tektro center-pull will work in there instead of just the Omega - which you're right, no point in an aero brake underneath that thing.

I don't think you'll have any problem with small-time U.S. TTs. The bridge has already been crossed with proprietary covers/beards. If some official tried to make me take this off I'd make a big ghetto scene and start pointing at all the P5s and Speed Concepts until the blue shirts backed down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colnagoguy wrote:
When I see it:

https://www.tririg.com/...versal_Cover_Preview

it really looks sleek and nice. But wasn't the whole point of TriRig Omega brakes that they are small and aerodynamic? Now these have such an amount of drag that they have to be covered?

The Universal Cover is really a conceptual extension of the cover that already comes with the Omni. The new Universal Cover is indeed a bit larger, to cover the Alpha One Monopost, but that's not the only purpose.

In our testing of Omni, we were able to make a faster complete system by adding the cover; it's faster than Omega X alone, and even faster than no brake at all! See the "Brake Testing" section at the bottom of the Omni Wind Tunnel Report for more. But here's the money shot:

The Universal Cover takes that concept and extends it both to accommodate Alpha One, but also many other bikes other than Omni. So we keep this aerodynamic benefit for Omni, and also offer it to many other folks who don't have an Omni.

Regarding what brakes fit inside, we haven't tested anything other than Omega X. But there's nothing that requires it to be Omega X, so if there's another brake with a small enough footprint, it might fit. Of course, for best *braking* performance, make it an Omega.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Oct 28, 18 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will it be offered only in glossy black? Any pricing info that can be shared yet?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 28, 18 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is the cover available?

Edit; I have the Alpha One in my cart and some hope of a cover before next season is all I need to place the order. The cover really finishes the integration IMO.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Oct 28, 18 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
When is the cover available?

Scott

Read the site. There is no ETA yet.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve read the site. Figured Nick might provide insights here that go behind that blanket statement.

I won’t tell you what he says if you don’t want to know.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks pretty good on the Orbea, but I question how good it would look on other bikes. I get that integrated straight 1-1/8 front ends will be pretty similar, but the Orbea has a unique flared out fork. Plus the need to trim the top precisely. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello colnagoguy and All,

colnagoguy writes in part: "But this is such a blatant fairing?"

Perhaps it will hold water and be a legal water bottle.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interested in this one. This is what I'd like to see:
-Compatible with "old" Shiv. -gosh, still sounds weird to me ;-)
-I'd prefer not to have to cut it myself, so I'd like to see us providing bike amle and size, and receiving the already-cut piece (this could be only for a limited number of very popular bike models?) Additionall, uncut piece for the rest of the compatible bikes.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
It looks pretty good on the Orbea, but I question how good it would look on other bikes. I get that integrated straight 1-1/8 front ends will be pretty similar, but the Orbea has a unique flared out fork. Plus the need to trim the top precisely. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.

Yes, I do wonder if the Orbea was chosen as it models the product wonderfully! I love the idea, but not sure how it would look on my gen 1 SC7 with the tapered head-tube, which I've decided to keep and simply optimise and respray.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick, if you ever need an excuse to upgrade some photog gear: That purple fringing on the base bar is really distracting, a new lens would do the trick 😉

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Nick, if you ever need an excuse to upgrade some photog gear: That purple fringing on the base bar is really distracting, a new lens would do the trick 😉

Or, (yes, I know a horrifying thought): don't shoot with the aperture wide-open. The bokeh will still be fine at f/2.8!
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Far be it from me to ignore a fellow photo nerd! I ran some green and purple defringe on the photos, hopefully they aren't offending your eyes any longer ;-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It feels like this thing was announced forever ago. Still not available. I know it doesn't have a significant aero penalty, but I don't want the stub of the Alpha One monopost sitting under my base bar, and so the cover would grease the wheels for me to move to the Alpha One from the Alpha X on my P5. Sounds like there are others similarly waiting.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on TriRig's new universal cover? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
This is clever. I like it.

I do wonder if a $50 Tektro center-pull will work in there instead of just the Omega - which you're right, no point in an aero brake underneath that thing.

I don't think you'll have any problem with small-time U.S. TTs. The bridge has already been crossed with proprietary covers/beards. If some official tried to make me take this off I'd make a big ghetto scene and start pointing at all the P5s and Speed Concepts until the blue shirts backed down.

I can't speak for the P5s but on the SC the brake cover has a functional purpose. It keeps the brake wedge from popping out.

I think this would be a more gray area since it look like its integrated and part of the bike more than a blatant faring addition.
Quote Reply