Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's your favorite triathlon/sport/performance related book?
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite triathlon/sport/performance related book? [subsubsubelite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once a Runner - John Parker
The Rider - Tim Krabbe
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite triathlon/sport/performance related book? [subsubsubelite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - Daniel James Brown

I read a lot and this is my favorite. Even though you know the outcome; each race is described in a detail and style that make it seem like you don't.

good luck, there are so many great ones out there

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron War - Matt Fitzgerald
Natural Born Heroes - Christopher McDougal
The Rise of Superman - Steven Kotler
The Long Run - Matt Long
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot to add mine:
Open by Andre Agassi and Shoe Dog a memoir by Phil Knight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Into Thin Air

No, not a book about pro cyclists training at high altitude, but about the 1996 Mount Everest disaster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endure by Alex Hutchinson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for both Boys in the Boat and Endure. Also liked The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography by Matt Rendell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life's Too Short to Go So F*cking Slow

My training partner recommended it to me, there are times when I have to be Carlos to her Susan and vice versa.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Last edited by: Billabong: Jun 14, 19 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Will by Mike Plant for triathlon..

https://www.amazon.com/...llenge/dp/0809248239
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

https://www.amazon.com/...eatest/dp/0307279189

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox
Find a Way by Diana Nyad

Wanted to love Julie Moss's book, but it was terrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my favourie such book is probably "The Illegal" by Lawrence HIll

Other favourites:

"Once a Runner"

"And then the Vulture eats You" - short stories by various people, some are great, some are OK

"The Purple Runner"

"Endure" - Hutchinson

"Into Thin Air"

"Swimming to Antartica"

"Playing for Pizza"

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The books by George Sheehan. The Essential Sheehan was published in 2013. Sheehan was a triathlete in his final competitive years after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan may become my new favorite if I enjoy it as much reading it the second time as I did the first.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 14, 19 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite triathlon/sport/performance related book? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
The Rider - Tim Krabbe

I think these are two of the best ever. You can re-read these multiple times and still get a lot of enjoyment out of them as they capture racing and the passion for it better than anything else I've read. Krabbe in particular writes at a high literary level (in my opinion) without losing his audience.

I'm no bibliophile, but I've definitely noticed the sub-high-school level of writing in the vast majority of triathlon and endurance sport books, fiction or nonfiction. Never thought I'd care about that stuff, but I was almost cringing when I read Chrissie's (probably ghostwritten) and Macca's books (also likely ghostwritten).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How Bad Do You Want It" always gets me pumped up.

"The Perfect Mile" is a fun one too.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite triathlon/sport/performance related book? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
The Rider - Tim Krabbe

I think these are two of the best ever. You can re-read these multiple times and still get a lot of enjoyment out of them as they capture racing and the passion for it better than anything else I've read. Krabbe in particular writes at a high literary level (in my opinion) without losing his audience.

I'm no bibliophile, but I've definitely noticed the sub-high-school level of writing in the vast majority of triathlon and endurance sport books, fiction or nonfiction. Never thought I'd care about that stuff, but I was almost cringing when I read Chrissie's (probably ghostwritten) and Macca's books (also likely ghostwritten).

My best books were the already mentioned "Open" and "Into thin air" but I do not know "Once a runner" and "The Rider". I'm going to put those on my wishlist for my birthday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chrissie Wellingtons biography and Gris Frooms biography.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few of my favorites have been already mentioned. I'll add "Road to Valor". The Biography of Gino Bartali with a mix of TdF, WWII, Nazis, Italian resistance and above all the popularity and power of cycling in those years.
after reading it I found also an article in here by the author.
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...d_To_Valor_6534.html
Last edited by: marcori: Jun 14, 19 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not about the bike.
(Just kidding)

Finding ultra - rich roll
21 yaks and a speedo - Lewis Pugh. Great book about his freezing ocean swims.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite triathlon/sport/performance related book? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest also reading The Climb

https://www.panmacmillan.com/...-climb/9781509867998

Boukreev was apparently up on the mountain when $hit was going down / not in his tent like Krakauer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legacy

https://www.amazon.com/...s-Kerr/dp/147210353X

If business reading is your sort of thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Perfect Distance

It's about the Coe/Ovett rivalry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gold in the Water

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canoeing Down Everest by Dr Mike Jones, who led the 1st expidition to sucessfull kayak the Dudh Kosi, which has its source on the Everest glaciers.

One of the events and subsequent reads that got me into white water kayaking.

And they were using kit that you'd not let a 10 year old scout use in a mill pond these days, never mind class 5 and 6 rapids.
Quote Reply