Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't believe Wilt is not in the conversation. 20,000 women alone puts him in rare air.

Seriously, read about his non-hoops accomplishments.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
runner66 wrote:
Secretariat only beat 3 horses in the Belmont, maybe 4? How can you add him to the list?


No horse has beat his time at the major races. Frankly, none were really even close. Man'o'War was close but the records were not being kept at the time.

Of course he is a horse, not a human so it may not be applicable to the OP's question.

And one of the four horses he beat that day was Sham, who was an incredible horse in his own right and very well could have been a Triple Crown winner had he not had the misfortune of being born in 1970 instead of '69 or '71.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't believe Wilt is not in the conversation. 20,000 women alone puts him in rare air.


Forget trying to qualify for Kona, or get my golf handicap below 5, that is a record worth chasing.

Now I just have to find 19,999 willing to help the cause.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sighs.......I didn't watch the match, but only saw highlights of the conversation with the chair umpire. But now SW's coach comes out and says he was coaching, but it sounds like they are mostly mad with how the chair umpire addressed the issue? And now SW is saying the chair umpire is sexist.......She's one hell of an athlete, but when that train sometimes falls off, it falls off hard for her. I believe she yelled at a line judge a few years ago at the US Open (may have been 5 or so years ago, cant remember the date).

-USAT L2 coach, M.S. Exercise Physiology
https://www.instagram.com/alloutmultisport
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
She's one hell of an athlete, but when that train sometimes falls off, it falls off hard for her. I believe she yelled at a line judge a few years ago at the US Open (may have been 5 or so years ago, cant remember the date).

I looked it up and it was 2009 when she got into the line judge's face with a "I swear to God I'm [expletive] going to take this [expletive] ball and shove it down your [expletive] throat, you hear that? I swear to God."
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. The good ones have a tremendous strength to weight ratio. That’s why I am much more impressed with them than I am with a 320 pound NFL lineman who can only benchpress 225 pounds for 27 reps.

Same with gymnasts, male and female. They have a tremendous strength to weight ratio.

FLA Jill wrote:
imsparticus wrote:
Well, you would be wrong. Several have tried. None move on past the first round. https://www.americanninjawarriornation.com/...erican-ninja-warrior

Ninja Warrior/Sasuke isn't so much about pure strength as strength-weight ratio, which puts a large athlete at a disadvantage compared to a smaller person with a background in something like gymnastics or rock climbing where they've long worked to find the perfect balance between muscle and body weight.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lordhong wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
Wayne Gretzky


If you look in terms of records that will never be broken, he's up there, indeed. I'd probably give him a nod as the greatest of all time.

Serena, Federer... they are amongst the greats, but the problem is that you can easily compare them to other players that were/are almost as great. Heck, for Federer, you only have to look at current players.


Anyway, I'd put Ashton Eaton as the greatest athlete of all time

http://www.jonmulkeen.com/blog/athletics/greatest-decathletes-eaton-sebrle-dvorak-obrien-thompson/

This is who initially came to mind for me, anyhow. If dominance over your competitors is a criteria, he fits that bill as well.

Him and Bo Jackson.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Sighs.......I didn't watch the match, but only saw highlights of the conversation with the chair umpire. But now SW's coach comes out and says he was coaching, but it sounds like they are mostly mad with how the chair umpire addressed the issue? And now SW is saying the chair umpire is sexist.......She's one hell of an athlete, but when that train sometimes falls off, it falls off hard for her. I believe she yelled at a line judge a few years ago at the US Open (may have been 5 or so years ago, cant remember the date).

Wow, I cant believe she is trying to use the gender card as an excuse for her poor sportsmanship and loosing...unbelievable..

Clearly gets coached by her coach (which has has admitted to) and gets a warning, has a little sook and smashed a racket so gets a violation, calls the umpire a thief and get a verbal abuse penalty. And some how she turns this into her championing for women's rights?? The level of delusion is mind boggling....

“I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is an example for the next person that has emotions that wants to express themselves, that wants to be a strong woman and they’re going to be allowed to do that because of today."
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ESPN with 3 women analysts (and 1 male counter part) said the one issue that her "rant" was the 3rd penalty (meant lost of game), and that they saw most of the time when players (especially males as this what they were comparing) already have been given warnings they dont keep arguing. They tread much more lightly when they've already been A) given a warning B) already lost a point C) know that the next issue will be lost of game.

ETA: They also said, coaching should just be allowed. I'm guessing they don't have to have them on the sidelines or allowed to "talk" every game, but just allow the hand signals, etc that they all seem to do.

-USAT L2 coach, M.S. Exercise Physiology
https://www.instagram.com/alloutmultisport
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 8, 18 21:16
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
ESPN with 3 women analysts (and 1 male counter part) said the one issue that her "rant" was the 3rd penalty (meant lost of game), and that they saw most of the time when players (especially males as this what they were comparing) already have been given warnings they dont keep arguing. They tread much more lightly when they've already been A) given a warning B) already lost a point C) know that the next issue will be lost of game.

ETA: They also said, coaching should just be allowed. I'm guessing they don't have to have them on the sidelines or allowed to "talk" every game, but just allow the hand signals, etc that they all seem to do.

Even after the game she continued to threaten the umpire telling him he would never be on the same court as her ever again-the ego is astounding...but I guess when you are being told you are 'the greatest athlete ever..'
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
“I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is an example for the next person that has emotions that wants to express themselves, that wants to be a strong woman and they’re not going to be allowed to do that because of today."

Yeah... She's fucking bonkers!

Fixed it for her.

I sure hope it sets an example... An example of what gets you a big fat, fucking fine and suspension!
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah today was just wow

not to be sexist but chicks are crazy sometimes
and I'm married and have a young daughter, so I speak from experience......
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One young daughter? Please.

Raised three redhead girls, wife is redhead, too. They are all 30+ now. You have a long way to go to fully appreciate the crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raised three redhead girls, wife is redhead, too. They are all 30+ now. You have a long way to go to fully appreciate the crazy.

-------


If only this was out 30+ years ago for you.....


(Universal Hot vs Crazy Matrix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk
(scroll to 1:53-2:10)


-USAT L2 coach, M.S. Exercise Physiology
https://www.instagram.com/alloutmultisport
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 8, 18 23:06
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to play with fire.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [SW - but only cause she's a woman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is pretty sad. not all Great Champions (TM) are great champions.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Sep 9, 18 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Sighs.......I didn't watch the match, but only saw highlights of the conversation with the chair umpire. But now SW's coach comes out and says he was coaching, but it sounds like they are mostly mad with how the chair umpire addressed the issue? And now SW is saying the chair umpire is sexist.......She's one hell of an athlete, but when that train sometimes falls off, it falls off hard for her. I believe she yelled at a line judge a few years ago at the US Open (may have been 5 or so years ago, cant remember the date).


Wow, I cant believe she is trying to use the gender card as an excuse for her poor sportsmanship and loosing...unbelievable..

"

Twitter going into meltdown of Ross Tucker saying she was simply reverting to type when playing badly (i.e. it's her personality to lose her shit when she is not doing well). Some people really need to think first and take offence later.

https://twitter.com/.../1038714773939081216
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Raised three redhead girls, wife is redhead, too. They are all 30+ now. You have a long way to go to fully appreciate the crazy.

If only this was out 30+ years ago for you.....
(Universal Hot vs Crazy Matrix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk
(scroll to 1:53-2:10)

Awesome, thanks for posting!!!


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
dunno wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Sighs.......I didn't watch the match, but only saw highlights of the conversation with the chair umpire. But now SW's coach comes out and says he was coaching, but it sounds like they are mostly mad with how the chair umpire addressed the issue? And now SW is saying the chair umpire is sexist.......She's one hell of an athlete, but when that train sometimes falls off, it falls off hard for her. I believe she yelled at a line judge a few years ago at the US Open (may have been 5 or so years ago, cant remember the date).


Wow, I cant believe she is trying to use the gender card as an excuse for her poor sportsmanship and loosing...unbelievable..

"


Twitter going into meltdown of Ross Tucker saying she was simply reverting to type when playing badly (i.e. it's her personality to lose her shit when she is not doing well). Some people really need to think first and take offence later.

https://twitter.com/.../1038714773939081216
It's funny because he calls out Sharapova, Froome (& Sky), Pistorious and Armstrong and he is a 'hater'. He calls out Mo Farah and Serena and he's a racist and or sexist.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Serena gets all high and mighty when she feels the umpire insinuated that she was cheating and then acts shocked when she gets a penalty for calling him a cheat and a thief? The entire fiasco she put on was over the top and embarrassing. I have seen male players say awful things to the chair umpire and they are usually reprimanded and given a warning. Usually they take the warning and go on about the match. For her to cry sexism because she lost a game for less than what male players get away with is untrue. Most players just realize they should shut up and play before getting that 2nd or 3rd offense.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not defending Williams as bad sportsmanship is bad sportsmanship, period. But I found it amusing later that evening when Jimbo Fisher absolutely lost his shit over a call that went against Texas A&M and faced no consequences over it.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t see any of the Jimbo stuff. Apples to oranges. It may be unfair but college and professional football are completely different animals compared to tennis. Do you think the referee in the A&M game would have taken the same grief from a player? I highly doubt it.

I just take exception to her saying the umpire stole a point from her. That’s not true. She knew that she had one offense for coaching. She may not have agreed with it, but hey that’s the way it goes. She knew her next offense would equal a point yet she broke her racquet anyway. She gave that point away herself when she lost her cool, the umpire didn’t steal it.

Now, being a professional and knowing the rules, she should have tread very carefully not to get that 3rd offense. She didn’t, she kept harassing the umpire about an apology and calling his character into question, after she chastised him for challenging her character. She gets her 3rd violation and forfeits a game.

That’s when it really got embarrassing, crying sexism for being held accountable for violating the rules. She later said that she would be proud for her daughter to watch her act like that. I wouldn’t want my kids to see me acting like that.

Overall, I think she got frustrated about losing and then the umpire set her off by placing the coaching violation. All downhill from there.
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
but I guess when you are being told you are 'the greatest athlete ever..'

On NPR this morning they were talking about the match. Then there was a quick mention of how (at some time in the past, I assumed) she was being recognized as the greatest female tennis player of all time, but SHE wasn't happy with that and wondered why she wasn't considered the greatest athlete of all time. It was something along those lines. I browsed NPR website briefly but couldn't find that in writing.

Maybe that's where Nike got it from?

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: What's with all the talk about Serena Williams being the greatest athlete of all time? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is a little bit why people had a hard time with Tiger also. Before he had his weird breakdown thing happen.

I go back to the tournament where his ball was stuck behind a big rock. The crowd came over and picked up the rock and moved it for him. Technically, ok by the rules, but totally not in the spirit of the game.

Sometimes the game or sport needs a little jolt, but, that comes with consequences. She's going up against the tennis world. And people aren't going to like it.

Golfers are just now able to wear shorts, sometimes. Even then, it's been long pants and collar shirts for a really long time. So, the catsuit and dress code thing isn't uncommon. Not sure where I stand on it.

I think if she made it more about breaking down barriers and openly changing the sport for everyone's good, it would be perceived different. But making only about herself doesn't work so well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next