Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3?
Quote | Reply
The times don't seem to be right unless the age groupers all swam faster than the pros. Following a friend who just about cut his swim PR time in half. :)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a couple of years ago the pros had to swim upstream a bit. But for the AG they nixed the upstream part.

No idea if that happened here but could explain it. Especially if there was strong current. Shortened swim + downstream current = PR!!
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
couple athlete files i saw had about 1300 yds and it was all downriver. Don't know anything for sure but doesn't look like it was 2100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like in 2017...pro's swam the entire swim course (including upriver portion) whereas they shortened it for the AGers. Right off the dock and directly downriver. I wouldn't be doing a lot of swim comparisons between pro's and AGers today. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They cut the upstream. My yardage per watch was 1369
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [wdrhoads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the “reason” given? Or is this just turning into an annual thing?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just asked my friend who raced today. She said "the current was too strong, the elites couldn't do it".

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the swim is already the shortest - time wise - and they chop one - third off of that? Charming.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
I just asked my friend who raced today. She said "the current was too strong, the elites couldn't do it".

Except that wasn't true at all. The pro swim splits were perfectly normal for a non-wetsuit swim.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman has a swim problem. Big time. They cancel, cut and make it easy based on any pre-text they can imagine or conjure up. This sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Billabong wrote:

Except that wasn't true at all. The pro swim splits were perfectly normal for a non-wetsuit swim.

No, they were pretty slow considering it’s like 400 upstream 1500 downstream

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Billabong wrote:

Not really when you look at the downstream swim times and think how long that short upstream portion took even the pros to finish
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
Ironman has a swim problem. Big time. They cancel, cut and make it easy based on any pre-text they can imagine or conjure up. This sucks.

I think 90% of triathletes have a swim problem. Fix that, and we can have legit swims.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. People like to blame Ironman. But holy moly, I've yet to do a 70.3 and there issues at your local novice pool sprint.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
Billabong wrote:

Not really when you look at the downstream swim times and think how long that short upstream portion took even the pros to finish

I don't know what the current was but anytime you run into a situation where you could have the stragglers in essentially an endless pool then you are going to have a problem. The solution is to separate the field between those who are competitive and competing versus those completing. I think we really need a competitive wave for this reason.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did the same at ITU World's a few weeks ago in Spain. Even Javier Gomez swam 1500 instead of the 3000...but that change was more due to the cold (58/59 F), but it was half upstream, half down. The day before, one athlete from Britain said it took him 21 minutes to swim to "whatever buoy" and 7 to come back. Nothing wrong with making sure the athletes are safe.

Also, there were 20 people pulled in the first few waves. I saw one guy not even make it to the first buoy swimming upstream, the current was so strong. He got pulled as I watched from shore.

During my wave, we were PUSHING eachother forward at the turn buoy because nobody could get around it due to the current, it bottlenecked. I can only surmise that under any conditions that could be a danger by a risk of life, that Chatanooga 70.3 or any other branded or non-branded race, has the right to alter the course, or pull the swim from being part of it. It is the responsible thing to due & I stand by the race director's decision--even if I don't like it as I enjoy the swim portion.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
iamuwere wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
Billabong wrote:

I don't know what the current was but anytime you run into a situation where you could have the stragglers in essentially an endless pool then you are going to have a problem. The solution is to separate the field between those who are competitive and competing versus those completing. I think we really need a competitive wave for this reason.

I haven't downloaded my swim file but comparing to last year Starky swam an 19:xx and this year fastest swim was 22:xx. Last year I swam a 22:xx and this year a 27:xx. Honestly I didn't really feel much of an issue with the current but at the pro meeting Saturday they said it was really strong and they hoped when the shut whatever flow off it would slow down. But I guess they didn't like the upstream swim times of the pros and shortened it!

But good for them for already having the alternate course set up either way and assuming they did what they said in the pro meeting they delayed the AG swim start to allow women pros same head start as they would have with a normal swim.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

Agreed.

I know it's dreaming, but it would be nice to see m-DOT cater half as much to those that want drafting enforcement on the bike as they cater to those who wish it was a duathlon

ETA: and before people start in with the "it's about the SAFETY" line: B.S. - just don't start with that. This is about catering to athletes who don't want to put in the time to prepare for the course they signed up for.
Last edited by: davejustdave: May 19, 19 22:06
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I think 90% of triathletes have a swim problem. Fix that, and we can have legit swims.

^ that

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was pretty disappointed they cut the swim... I was ready for a PR today and that went out the window when they cut the swim.

I was there 2 years ago and I remember watching several pros really struggle getting upriver. That was not the case yesterday. The problem is they are trying to please the masses... I'm sure there were 100s if not 1000s of folks that may have not made it. But, that's what you signed up for, a challenge. Come prepared.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In these instances though, I cannot help thinking this is an issue of Ironman's creating. They chose to stage an event at this location where the river has a strong current. Isn't it inevitable?!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point. there are certainly elements outside of control- But I promise the current wasn't that strong yesterday.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What was the “reason” given? Or is this just turning into an annual thing? "
---------------------
This was a very reasonable decision. If the upstream current is faster than some people can swim (they'd go backwards) then the course gets modified. I'm not quite sure why this is so hard for folks to understand. HOWEVER, I have done a number of river swim races over many years and understand that this is just what happens at times.I am good with it and actually applaud IM for having their plan B in place and ready to go.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim course is poorly designed with an upstream section on a dam controlled section of the river. If you’re Ironman and you know that every year there will be a large number of competitors that have to be pulled out from the water due to the swim course conditions, then the issue was one they created. There’s no good fix because it’s a great venue that’s sells well and the race course is pretty much in a fixed location.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current was not strong on Sunday. There have been no heavy rains in the Chattanooga area as of late and the river has been pretty much "normal" for several weeks. All major rivers in the southern US are damn controlled so you cannot avoid that. TVA controls the current daily and if there have been no heavy rains they can bring the flow down so that you can barely notice any current. I am puzzled as to why they modified the swim yesterday. My first half distance triathlon was a Rev3 event in this same river. We swam upstream about half the swim distance and downstream the other half. It was early May, the water was cold but we swam the distance. It was a challenge for some but Rev3 didn't modify the swim. It would have been a huge letdown if I had raced yesterday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next