Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's this noisy!
Quote | Reply
Hi

I need some help and I'm not sure where to go from here. I need a bike mechanic and fitter! :)

Bought a felt ia10 about a year ago (marked down). Rode a few times on the trainer. I was still getting used to it ..

Then I moved to Canada and bike got damaged during shipping. 3 and a half months later, new frame arrived. (Yes, that's right. It took that long) Pick up bike from local bike shop that put it together and first ride on trainer I hear this really noisy racket from drivetrain.

Shop says it's the best they can do and to make smooth I need a new crankset. They said mixing brands like that will never be as smooth. (Not sure it was like that before moving...)

I also know right now my fit is off. My old felt b 14 was comfy!

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: What's this noisy! [lkc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trying to post video...

it's not as bad as when I picked it up
some gears are ok
but some are still pretty bad imo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3odRMdqGDAuZfU366
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need more info. Rear derailleur, cassette, chain, crank, etc. what’s the setup?

Looks like you’re in the biggest cog in the back (cross chained). Does it do that in other gears?
Last edited by: Sean H: Dec 15, 18 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a 10s chain on an 11s cassette. Or, very stretched chain.

The brand of crank is fully irrelevant.

Is the drive train new?
Quote Reply
Re: What's this noisy! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't change anything from what came with it. What might be different from stock ...
Front derailleur r8050
And rear derailleur r 8050 ultegra di2 11 speed

Does that help?

The crank set that come with the bike is made by vision.

And yes, the most noise is when I'm in the big chain ring and the first couple of the big cogs.
Quote Reply
Re: What's this noisy! [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a chain from premier, haven't tried it yet.

The drivetrain is very new!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop crosschaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that an 11s cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, 11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rear derailleur hanger might be bent.
Quote Reply
Re: What's this noisy! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Stop crosschaining.

Ok
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible chain too short. And crosschaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
That sounds like a 10s chain on an 11s cassette. Or, very stretched chain.

The brand of crank is fully irrelevant.

Is the drive train new?

Shimano cranksets are quite noticeably quieter than aftermarket ones, especially when cross chaining.
Short chain stays and short chains make it worse.
Quote Reply
Re: What's this noisy! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to look up chainstays... :/

Would you still call this cross chaining?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g4U1499idafbKLJZA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PB2MbSX9PXwfx6qM7

both videos are in the same gear
Last edited by: lkc: Dec 16, 18 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a regular skipping sound, like the chain is trying to move to a different gear. I think it is on the third cog from the biggest, so that is not crosschaining and should not be noisy. It sounds like the rear derailleur is mis-adjusted. It is possible that it is chain rub on the FD, but I don't think so. Can you see if the chain is touching the FD cage? Or, can you tell if the sound is definitely coming from the RD area?

Can you post a profile picture of the RD installation? I am curious if the little direct mount extension part is installed and if so, whether it is correctly resting against the tension stop. (It should be extending rearward, horizontally from the mount point.)
Quote Reply
Re: What's this noisy! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It is a regular skipping sound, like the chain is trying to move to a different gear. I think it is on the third cog from the biggest, so that is not crosschaining and should not be noisy. It sounds like the rear derailleur is mis-adjusted. It is possible that it is chain rub on the FD, but I don't think so. Can you see if the chain is touching the FD cage? Or, can you tell if the sound is definitely coming from the RD area?

At first I thought it was the front, but I now think it's from the back. I can't see where it would be touching my FD cage
It's like the chain doesn't fit or yes the RD is off for those gears

Is this helpful?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MtTTGfQnAfHSR6M66
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lkc wrote:
At first I thought it was the front, but I now think it's from the back. I can't see where it would be touching my FD cage
It's like the chain doesn't fit or yes the RD is off for those gears

Is this helpful?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MtTTGfQnAfHSR6M66
Yes, that picture helps. The RD is installed correctly. I have seen a few cases where the new Shadow derailleurs for direct mount were attached incorrectly.

There is a process to align the RD with micro adjustments. Maybe the shop did not follow the Shimano process. Also, it looks like the cage is extended further forward than mine in that same gear combo. But, my bike is not on hand to compare now. (I have an IA16 with the same Di2 drivetrain as yours.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
So you have vision mixed with shimano

I will look online or find a shop that might want to help.

I am not very familiar with DI2, but I guess I would/could/should learn! :p
Last edited by: lkc: Dec 16, 18 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lkc wrote:
So you have vision mixed with shimano...I am not very familiar with DI2, but I guess I would/could/should learn! :p
Sorry for the confusion... I only have the R8050 Di2 FD & RD. I have a SRAM Red 22 crankset. (The comments about non-Shimano cranksets are bogus. Many, many bike makers package other cranksets with Shimano shift bits for a lot of very good reasons.)

This is Shimano's user guide for your Di2. Go to page 129 and follow their process for aligning the RD. It is very easy.

http://si.shimano.com/.../DM-R8050-02-ENG.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks!
Appreciate it

Also found your thread about Di2 install
NICE!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
lkc wrote:
So you have vision mixed with shimano...I am not very familiar with DI2, but I guess I would/could/should learn! :p

Sorry for the confusion... I only have the R8050 Di2 FD & RD. I have a SRAM Red 22 crankset. (The comments about non-Shimano cranksets are bogus. Many, many bike makers package other cranksets with Shimano shift bits for a lot of very good reasons.)

This is Shimano's user guide for your Di2. Go to page 129 and follow their process for aligning the RD. It is very easy.

http://si.shimano.com/.../DM-R8050-02-ENG.pdf

No, not bogus, it is well known that shimano cranksets run much quieter especially on short chainstay bikes.
But that is not the case here.
Sounds like the derailleur is too close to the centreline, so I would suspect that even if the shop set it up correctly and that it has been knocked out of alignment since, hence being tucked in a little too far.
I also suspect that the chain is too short and that there is too much B tension as the top pulley is miles away from the cassette.
Align hanger, tune gears.

A broken pawl in the hub can also sound like that.
Quote Reply