Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype?
Quote | Reply
Has anybody tried these? I searched the forum and can't find the "these are BS" thread on 2-Spoke. If they actually work, is it because 2 spokes give them enough continuous surface area to generate push?

http://www.bikeradar.com/...oke-m5-wheels-49140/

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, those wheels look awesome! Finally something new.

Had Zipp put these out, people would be flooding the bike shops to purchase them.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the jury deliberated for 10 minutes and the vote was unanimous - FUGLY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Has anybody tried these? I searched the forum and can't find the "these are BS" thread on 2-Spoke. If they actually work, is it because 2 spokes give them enough continuous surface area to generate push?

http://www.bikeradar.com/...oke-m5-wheels-49140/

Thread is still there but the OP deleted the first post and the thread title.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6094657#p6094657
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The idea has potential but the way their "testing protocol" and the resulting "data" that they present on their website.... it's not encouraging.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they look like a good idea but there's been so many times wheels have popped up and then the Slowtwitch Mafia tears them apart. Even if the design is good, I see possible problems with handling with the front wheel in crosswinds.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dished wheels was too popular and crushed twospoke.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is these are like riding a disc wheel on the front of your bike. Maybe like a HED3, but probably worse.

So likely very fast, if you live to see the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

From the 2-spoke website: "The benefits of this wheel in a one hour time trial compared to a standard carbon 3-spoke wheel can be as much as 2.5 minutes (!) when averaging 51 km/h."

2.5 minutes over an hour means an increase of speed of a bit more than 4%. Because of the cubic nature of aero drag, that would mean a decrease in CdA of ~12% compared to a 3-spoke wheel. That's not a 12% decrease in the wheel's CdA -- they're claiming a 12% decrease in total rider + bike CdA.
Last edited by: RChung: Feb 7, 17 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Wow, those wheels look awesome! Finally something new.

Had Zipp put these out, people would be flooding the bike shops to purchase them.
Had Flo put these out, Slowtwitch would have lost its collective mind.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2016, I already conducted some kinda research about this wheel and posted it on my blog.

What I found was poor data and irrelevant tests that are not enough to support the dutch wheelmaker's bluff.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

From the 2-spoke website: "The benefits of this wheel in a one hour time trial compared to a standard carbon 3-spoke wheel can be as much as 2.5 minutes (!) when averaging 51 km/h."

2.5 minutes over an hour means an increase of speed of a bit more than 4%. Because of the cubic nature of aero drag, that would mean a decrease in CdA of ~12% compared to a 3-spoke wheel. That's not a 12% decrease in the wheel's CdA -- they're claiming a 12% decrease in total rider + bike CdA.

So you're saying I can reduce my total drag by 12â„… just by buying these wheels. Wowsers! Where is my credit card.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wait till onespoke hits the market...

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Who needs spokes?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:

Who needs spokes?

Anyone who doesn't want excess bearing drag ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 2-Spoke wheels? Marketing hype? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
cartsman wrote:

Who needs spokes?

Anyone who doesn't want excess bearing drag ;-)

Apart from them, obviously! I'm sure I saw a prototype bike with maglev wheels and no bearings somewhere, but now starting to think I'm getting real life mixed up with Big Hero 6...
Quote Reply