Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the verdict on 1x with clutch-less RD
Quote | Reply
My experience with 1x is minimal and only with a TT bike. So for the sake of this conversation we will stay with Tri/TT bikes. I have heard plenty of people say you do not need a clutched rear derailleur when it comes to road use. Is everyone still standing by that?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the verdict on 1x with clutch-less RD [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't used a clutch RD for 2.5 years on my tri bike. Haven't dropped a single chain in that time. And that's even with running an 11-28 with enough chain for an 11-32 (not a huge length difference but still a few extra links). Also with both mechanical red22 and 6870 di2.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Jul 20, 20 16:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on 1x with mechanical R9000 RD and wolftooth NW rings. Zero chain drops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never used a clutch RD and never dropped a chain and been running 1x for a handful of years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't dropped a chain yet. I do have a NW ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zero chain drops in about 5 years on my TT bike - NW, but no clutch RD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 1000 miles on a wolftooth narrow wide ring and R7000 long cage RD, no drops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two types of 1x chainrings. For the Narrow-wide rings I have never had any problems with a dropped chain. I have used the SRAM and the less expensive Stone rings you got on Ebay Some of the 1x carbon fiber rings just use taller teeth with no shift ramps. It may just be my setup, but I would drop chains on bumpy roads with the tall-tooth carbon rings. The narrow-wide stuff has been bullet proof.

The Stone rings are a good option if you have weird crank arms. They have pretty much every combination you could think of. I am running a 56 on a 110 BCD crank and they make rings up to at least 58 teeth.
Quote Reply